Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

2020 Frank Church hunt. Updated

I did trail maintenance out there as a teenager. That country is wild, truly made an impact on me as a kid. Still got a rusty can of Prince Albert I found near an old silver mine. I remember that we had to set boulders on top of other boulders to rebuild sections because of the intense grade. Hey, you ain’t ever going to forget this! Thank you for the photos and story.

Great hunt, and great job packing that bull out. Being pushed to your physical limits is strangely fun and exhausting at the same time. Kinda like hitting yourself in the head with a hammer--it feels good when you stop.
It's been a dream to float the River of No Return. Read about a guy who got mauled and killed by a grizzly while he was sleeping in his tent. That story sobered me up.
Six miles in is a long way to pack an elk out. Definitely a job for pack animals, and not the human kind.
Congrats!

Thanks for the recap. I hate snakes. Encountering one in the middle of the night with a loaded pack - double no thank you.
Beautiful country.

Very cool! Congrats.

I feel like I should also say “sorry”, but I know that the pain is part of the adventure and satisfaction

Thanks for the recap. I hate snakes. Encountering one in the middle of the night with a loaded pack - double no thank you.
Beautiful country.

Great post! I didnt mind the double posted pics one bit! When I go there, I try to do my best to take a few rattlesnakes back to camp for dinner. True story, I once saw two out of Staters hiking back to camp and they could hear rattling. The one that was in front was so terrified he pointed his rifle at his buddy and forced him to take the lead. I am glad I was a canyon over as I watched that happen. I wonder if they are still friends in the end....

There is also video footage of rattle snakes doing a mating battle from 20 miles upriver where you guys are at.

Wow, I somehow missed this one earlier. First of all, you guys calling it type 2 fun are flat wrong. It’s clearly type 3.

@Ben Lamb has no clue how to factor in serpents into his scoring equation and shorted you 5280 stars.

I loved the photo of podiatric triage. Nice work. You’ll be back.

Back