2017 Eclipse (August 21)

Totality is a huge difference than even 95% and if you are with a group then is infectious as the hour long march from edge to center finally covers the sun. Is a two hour event so much like a movie at the theater or a college football game the length is long enough to be meaningful for a shared experience but not a long commitment that takes days. All in all, was a neat experience and while not as spectacular as a nice sunrise or sunset...was not something will see many times in your life so was special and will be a point of connection with those that shared the event with you. Now, how are the elk looking in western WY this season?

I was thinking ahead of time that being off to the side might be a better angle but learned that the actual really cool part was being in the totality for the few moments when you didn't need the funky little glasses.

Woke up to fog this morning at home and considered driving out of it but about an hour before the fog lifted. Walked out on the patio and drank an Obsidian Stout and watched the show. Really cool to see the fog start rolling back in off the ocean when the temp dropped then see it turn back around as it started to shine again.

Amazing thing to me is that with just a few degrees of sun it was like nothing was really going on unless you looked into the sun with the glasses. Headed in to work in the biggest traffic jam I have ever seen here on the coast or will probably ever see. Better than most Mondays anyhow....

in Oregon today I had to work, we were at 99 percent totality where i was, pretty cool ,as the as the moon crossed u could feel the temperature drop, and it became very dusk , saw a few stars , all the street lights came on , and that was a cool moment as well, if I'm still around in April 2024 , I would like to take a trip down south to Texas or Oklahoma and get in the path of totality of our next solar eclipse. Here is my pics of some of the work crew , the cell phone didn't capture how dark it really got , the first pic is at 10:13 , 2nd pic is 10:18 at the moment of around 99 percent and u can see that the darkness had triggered our night lights on the dock. last pic is me when the moon was about 25% across the sun, i noticed later it caught a random bizarre ray of sunlight

IMG_6058.jpg
IMG_6061.jpg
IMG_6064.jpg

Last edited:
DSC_8735.jpg

I live in NYS and got a bunch of photos using a camera filter, a Nikon D7000 body, a 300mm f4 Nikon lens, a 2x teleconverter and a good tripod! It was a warm day. While we only got 70% of totality, it cooled things about 5 deg. or more and things had a sort of funky light.

So glad I came to see this, I was shocked at the brief moment of totality, it was such an incredible difference between a 1-2% sliver of sun and blackness.

My sons reaction was priceless, absolutely a moment to remember forever. I'll be sure to be in the path of totality in 2024.

20170821_113446.jpg

DSC02063.jpg

Still can't figure out why it was a big deal. mtmuley

I can't figure out why some people paid $700-$800+ a night for a hotel room to see something that lasted 2 1/2 minutes. Some folks have been in Casper since the 16th I'm told. That's nuts.

We experienced 2min 40sec of totality at the family farm in St. Clair, MO. It didn't cost us a dime, but now I have every intention of traveling in 2024 when the path of totality is just south of us. I'm going to try and spend less than $700-800/night, but if it comes to it I would gladly spend that amount.

Two things: I'm so glad I drove up from NM to see this; the chill from a lack of sun, the corona, and the remergence of the sun will not be forgotten by me or my kids. Secondly, I'm so glad I didn't come back along I25. The traffic was horrible, I hear, with 20 mph being considered fast.

We went to the Wind Rivers to see it. I expected it to be a letdown after all the hype, but it was undoubtedly one of the most awesome sights I've ever witnessed.

It wasn't as much the eclipse itself, it was the world around us during totality that left me speechless.

Hint: If you weren't in totality, you didn't get see the eclipse. Sitting at 99% was underwhelming, the second it ticked to totality was all worth it.

Last edited:
Anyone who didn't see 100% totality will never understand the split second when the last ray of sun disappeared. In fact you couldn't see a thing through the glasses at totality. I'm not a pushover for much outside of family and hunting, but it was amazing.

I doubt I would have traveled to see it, unless I knew what I would have missed. All in all a great time and Casper put on quite a festival for four days, it was a great event for the city.

Some crazy $hit went on for sure. Check this out:20914750_10159722402885112_6127344003593481885_n.jpg

Exactly
0-98% = meh
99% = whoa cool
100% = holy chit I had no idea.
I'd say 99.9%. It went from awesome to a nothing in about a second. I saw the one in '79 in Great Falls and knew those guys who thought they'd be ok at 97% were going to miss the show. Oh well, their loss.

Anyone who didn't see 100% totality will never understand the split second when the last ray of sun disappeared. In fact you couldn't see a thing through the glasses at totality. I'm not a pushover for much outside of family and hunting, but it was amazing.

I doubt I would have traveled to see it, unless I knew what I would have missed. All in all a great time and Casper put on quite a festival for four days, it was a great event for the city.

Some crazy $hit went on for sure. Check this out:View attachment 73473

Jeff - what's she doing over there?

Jr....best pics I have seen so far.....although bikini chick laying out in the sage is pretty awesome. Thx for sharing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTOG
Back