MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

2016 WY Pronghorn

BuzzH

First off, it wouldn't be right to post this without thanking Greenhorn. He went way beyond being helpful to me this year, sharing some scoring tips and pictures of bucks that he found while hunting and scouting. It was great to get to look at so many nice bucks, both pictures and in the field.

I missed the opener due to work and a business trip to Florida...I was hating life knowing the season was open and I wasn't able to hunt.

I did manage to stop off quickly on my way home from work and turned up a couple nice bucks. I was looking for a different buck, and turned up this one. Very hard to drive off and leave this buck standing at 150 yards.

0930161743b.jpg

Lots of ones like this, that are just nice bucks, but not quite big enough:

1004161607c.jpg

This thing has to be one of the biggest bodied pronghorn I've ever seen.:

0930161703.jpg

I hunted the next couple days, then with the roads turning to goo, drove home to regroup.

Hunted last night on my way to work. Decided to look one more time for a buck that Greenhorn had sent me a picture of. Didn't turn him up, pretty sure he must have been killed.

But, there was another buck that Greenhorn sent me pictures of that his son named Batman. I decided to go look for him. After some instructions on where he was last seen, I went and looked. Sure enough, right in the very spot Greenhorn said he would be in...there he was. I had left my spotting scope, for some dumb reason in the truck, so hurried back once I found him. I confirmed it was the right buck. I quickly stalked as close as I could, to 402 yards, where I ran out of cover in the sage brush. I grabbed my pack and threw it over a sage brush clump and settled in behind the rifle. I knew the wind was blowing pretty good, so gave it 8 inches of drift and squeezed the trigger on the 7-08. Buck dropped right there. I didn't allow quit enough and drifted 5 or so inches forward, and hit him in the front of the shoulder/base of the neck.

After the shot, I noticed blood running down my little finger and found I had a cut through the top of the finger and out the bottom. I had a case of the 60 xt blades in my pack for the havelon, and somehow the case was opened. When I grabbed my pack to get set up for the shot, I ran one of them through my finger...note to self, don't do that again.

Couldn't be happier with this buck, and many thanks again to Greenhorn...I'm humbled by his generosity to share the location of this buck.

IMG_1241.JPG

Another look:

IMG_1239.JPG

That is a super cool buck. Not sure I could have walked away from the dude all jacked up on the Bovine Growth Hormones. Congrats.

That is a pile of blood coming out of your finger..... or is that the antelope blood??

Congrats on a great animal.

(And, I agree, once Greenhorn starts blowing up your phone with pictures of antelope, it improves your hunt.)

That is a pile of blood coming out of your finger..... or is that the antelope blood??

Congrats on a great animal.

(And, I agree, once Greenhorn starts blowing up your phone with pictures of antelope, it improves your hunt.)

That would be my blood...I felt a lot smarter the couple minutes after I did that, then the previous couple. I'm going to make damn sure that doesn't happen again.

awesome buck! my brother and I both took turns slicing our fingers with havalons last weekend. seems like i'm good for it at least once a year...

very nice as usual...we head up Saturday for the week... not as picky as you though

Very cool buck. I like the buck in the first photo as well. Congrats!

Super cool buck, congrats. The buck in the first picture looks pretty good to me as well. Good luck with the havalon injury, I've got a finger that still gives me a little issue from a cut last January.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back