2016 upland game, post um up

FAIR CHASE

2016 upland game, post em up

Repeated this scene 5x last week. Doesn't get much better than walking behind a good bird dog.

Last edited:
Had a great opener before she was injured and out of the hunt for 5 days.

Attachments

• IMG_2283.jpg
    IMG_2283.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 561
IMG_20161031_092734889.jpg

Despite the wind, it was a great day in the field yesterday. Shot our limit before noon, in a few short weeks I'll be headed down to Kansas to hunt for a few days on the opener.

I got my limit last week. My wife struck out. In spite of the warm windy weather, my wife and I could've had our limit many times over if our shooting had been on par with our dog's nose. We'll go out again this week.

14859802_10100834266265963_760441249668763346_o.jpg

I got my limit last week. My wife struck out. In spite of the warm windy weather, my wife and I could've had our limit many times over if our shooting had been on par with our dog's nose. We'll go out again this week.

Springer?

LOLA with a retrieve. Wirehaired Pointing Griffon

attachment.php

My new pup. GUS a German Shorthair. He was pointing at 9 weeks old. I've had him 4 weeks and work him on quail every night for training. I think he's gonna be amazing. With the right wind he has been locking on and holding point at 30 yards. By far the most "stylish" dog that I have ever owned. Now if we can just get the house-breaking accomplished :(

attachment.php

good luck to all
the dog

Last edited:
Trigger50: The taking of hens is permitted in some areas in WY, typically where farm birds are released.

JLDemo: Yep. Springer limited draw season has been a family tradition for few years now.

Good deal, I was there yesterday and got my limit. Next up is Glendo then Kansas! Hope you have a good season!

LOLA with a retrieve. Wirehaired Pointing Griffon

attachment.php

My new pup. GUS a German Shorthair. He was pointing at 9 weeks old. I've had him 4 weeks and work him on quail every night for training. I think he's gonna be amazing. With the right wind he has been locking on and holding point at 30 yards. By far the most "stylish" dog that I have ever owned. Now if we can just get the house-breaking accomplished :(

attachment.php

good luck to all
the dog
Gus is gonna be a stud I think! Great looking point!

I'm still having to keep Hank on a check cord around birds, but he did lock up well last night on a pigeon pretty well...

Scouting yesterday for my 3rd season buck tag. Didn't think the deer would still be way high with the nice weather, but couldn't resist slogging the extra mile and 800' to the top where there are usually some grouse. Sure enough - tracks in the snow that settled in the game trails. Tried out the $10 Amazon phone tripod/timer deal for the shot down valley.

IMG_3858.jpg

IMG_3851.jpg

We've had quite the ride this fall. Enzo, our 1.5 year old GWP, was recently diagnosed as an epileptic and was put on medication about 4 weeks ago. He had five seizures in about 12 hours during his last episode and was not doing very well. We were afraid he had suffered a little brain damage since he acted drunk for about a week but eventually snapped out of it for the most part. Needless to say he's been a completely different dog.

I hunted him last season and he did ok. Had a few solid points but retrieved really well so I was content since he was only 7 months old. I had no idea what I would get this season after all that has happened. So far I have been very pleased with his performance. In two trips he's held tight on 6-7 birds. I don't hunt a bird rich environment so this is pretty good for us. Would have earned rockstar status in my eyes had he even got a single retrieve but I'll take what I can get

Enzo with his first 2016 limit
enzo1.jpg
enzo2.jpg

Very nicely done Enzo!

I notice a couple dogs wear the chest protectors/skid plates. Did you do this after an issue or preventative? My dog's coat isn't super thick and I'm wondering if I should get one. He's not been cut yet.

Very nicely done Enzo!

I notice a couple dogs wear the chest protectors/skid plates. Did you do this after an issue or preventative? My dog's coat isn't super thick and I'm wondering if I should get one. He's not been cut yet.

Its more or less there to make his mom feel better but it does save me a little time picking cockleburrs. He's had a couple small cuts but nothing major. He does run through the brush like a mad man from time to time so I don't mind putting it on him

I had a friend in PA who lost a dog after it impaled itself on a deadfall. I've used a chest protector ever since. Last year my GSP snagged his harness in some vine maple out of range of the beeper (young dog chasing deer). It took me forever to find him and there was no way he was getting loose on his own. Damned if you do, damned if you don't...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back