Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

2015 Mule deer hunt. . .

RUT JUNKEY

Ok guys, I have decided that my Fall of 2015 hunt will be for mule deer, I tried it once after college and got lucky with my one and only mule deer buck. The trip group will be my Dad (66), best friend , and myself ( all in decent shape physically). I am thinking muzzy or rifle. I am just wondering which state the Hunttalk group would reccommmed I do my research on, taking in all the factors : ease of drawing a tag, access, etc. Any ideas/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, RJ

Montana, Montana, Montana ! more than likely will be leftover deer combos again for next few years,atleast. tons of public land and quality bucks. Don't get much easier.

Idaho. Half the price of Montana. Even easier to get a tag than Montana. Just from what I've seen and heard online the last couple years, we are shooting better bucks, especially on OTC tags. But take that with a grain of salt, as I know that not everyone that deer hunts in Montana posts their trophy shots on forums.

We don't get to hunt the rut here OTC (unless it's with a bow in some open units), but I don't think that's a bad thing for the overall herd health.

best thing I can tell you is figure out HOW you want to hunt. is your dad truck/flat land limited, or is he the lead guy on the mountain goat trail? every state has options but MT,WY and ID is probably your choices if your using rifle. what's your lodging/weather limits? do you want to hunt high country wilderness out of a backpacked tent or sage brush flats out of heated hotel room. figure it out, define what you want to do then you can figure out where and how with some research. if its going to take you past September to figure it out, go buy a preference point each in WY.

simple and easy to plan I would pick Idaho if you must choose now

Thanks guys.
ccc. .Dad is part mountain goat I think. . rough travel doesn't bother us too much. We prefer the wilderness camping style, but, hey if the deer are where we can get a hotel. . we are ok with that too. . . pretty flexible. This is for 2015 season so I am in the early planning stages now. Good luck to you guys this fall. RJ

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mowglimadness
Back