Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Bitterroot Mule Deer 261/270

Is Unit 270 truly the best Mule Deer Unit in the state?
depends what you think makes a unit "the best". Guaranteed 180'' bucks? No. Being able to see a shitton of deer in a mostly public land HD with excellent road access and only a few dozen other mule deer hunters to compete with? Absolutely.

There is a few outfitters you can find with just a google search, but they are pricey and looks like private ranch hunting. I’m local so I’ll have time to scout and figure it out. depending on how much time you have I think you’ll have no problem killing a 160-180 deer in 270 on public if you put in a little ti

I am a nonresident and I will be hunting unit 270. From what I understand, it is like winning the lottery. The odds are very small to draw this tag and some years no tags are offer to nonresidents. I feel very fortunate but I need some help. Does anyone know a good outfitter or guide for the area? Anyone you would recommend?
I drew the 3pt or less 270 tag this year. kind of upset about it because I Didn't realize it was that tag. Considering it’s a 2% chance to draw I think it will still be fun. Originally from the western side of the state I haven’t been down that far south. Still looking forward to see what that unit has to offer. Lots of public land and access why not just go for it and look around the unit without a guide?

I drew the 3pt or less 270 tag this year. kind of upset about it because I Didn't realize it was that tag. Considering it’s a 2% chance to draw I think it will still be fun. Originally from the western side of the state I haven’t been down that far south. Still looking forward to see what that unit has to offer. Lots of public land and access why not just go for it and look around the unit without a guide?
I drew 270 two years ago, and the biggest buck I saw was an old 3pt. Saw a bunch of other 3pts as well, I think you’ll have a good time.

Yeah you’ll still plenty of big deer that are 3 points. And I think it just means one side has to have no more than 3 points. Not totally sure on this but FWP will contact you and give you very specific instructions on what legal and what’s not. You’ll still be able to kill a giant I reckon. Let me know how you end up doing!

Yeah you’ll still plenty of big deer that are 3 points. And I think it just means one side has to have no more than 3 points. Not totally sure on this but FWP will contact you and give you very specific instructions on what legal and what’s not.
since fwp let’s sublegal sheep that have to be be checked slide by I’d be curious what they decide is a legal 3 pt buck

I am a nonresident and I will be hunting unit 270. From what I understand, it is like winning the lottery. The odds are very small to draw this tag and some years no tags are offer to nonresidents. I feel very fortunate but I need some help. Does anyone know a good outfitter or guide for the area? Anyone you would recommend?
1st: Welcome to HT!

2nd: Congratulations on drawing Montana's most coveted Mule Deer permit as a nonresident

3rd: Ain't Google Great!

4th: You will not need to hire an outfitter/guide for that area unless you can't hunt yourself out of a wet paper bag!

5th: Good luck with your research into the area that you have drawn the permit!

6th: Don't shank your tent!

Shoot Straight,

Mtnhunter1

Back