2015 Gear of the Year Awards

Barnes bullets. Always bought and shot Nosler Partitions. Barnes made its appearance in elk camp and did work on deer too.

1. Stone Glacier Solo. Tough, light and compresses down to nearly nothing. Also helped my mental game. Knowing I can begin hauling meat on the first trip out convinces me to go further back.

2. Thermarest Neo Air X Lite. Way warmer, lighter, more compact and more comfortable than the late 90's Lite Foam it replaced.

3. Eddie Bauer Guide Pro Pants. Most comfortable pants I own. Wear them hiking, hunting and to the office. Wearing them now!! Can get them on sale for a little north of $50.

My top two are hard to seperate, but my favorite items are the
1. Kuiu Icon Pro 5200 pack - This pack handled my week long backpack hunt and stuffed down for day pack use. On my wekk-lonk late season hunt, this pack again performed flawlessly, especially when hauling out a cow elk on my back. No pain, strain or hotspots from this pack!! I bought the 1850 bag to place on the same frame for a daypack during turkey and early fall hunting.

2. Weatherby Vanguard in .308 shooting Nosler Accubonds. This gun routinely shoots sub-moa if I'm having a good day. None of my previous rifles were designed for long range (greater than 150yd) shooting. During my december elk hunt I placed two shots back to back exactly where I aimed at 245 yds and the bullets performed perfectly. Two dead elk. That was a lot of work I likely won't try again.

After those two I'll give honorable mention to
- Goodyear Duratrac tires. Excellent traction and handling whther towing or driving offroad. These tires handled deep drifted snow in Wyoming and NEVER got me stuck, even without chains. I am beyond impressed.

- OnXmaps phone app. Easy to use, gives all the info I need in one place. Only complaint is the price. $30 a year is a little steep.

- Kuiu Attack pants. I wore them on every hunt this year from spring turkeys, to WY high country elk to december elk in nee deep snow. Heavy enough for any weather, light enough for any weather, breathable, including hip zips and the DWR still works after several washings and at least 30 days of hunting.
Additionally The Kuiu Peloton 240 zipup hoodie was an outstanding new piece I used in December. I've only used it on a week hunt, but it was with me every day and did everything it was supposed to. Very breathable and windproof which was very clutch.

TAGS game bags. I struggled with deciding on a game bag and although these are expensive, I couldn't find a complaint about them other than the cost. They served their role well, carried 1.5 elk off a mountain and came clean with a quick swirl in the laundry tub. Ready to be used again and 4 bags are lighter than a single pillowcase.

Forgive the long post. I am a total gear whore and I'm already making a shopping list after reading some of your lists.

1. Ozonics - how could I hunt without this machine? Fartin' in the wind is no longer a problem.
2. Bog Pod Extreme shooting rest - Now i can shoot 1000 yards without laying down.
3. Bad Boy Buggy - now I can silently drive off road and tear across the west without spooking animals
4. Cabelas Tags - How did I ever draw a tag w/o them doing the apps for me?
5. Chevy Silveraydo - Now it has wifi so I can play fan duel, check the news, tweet my followers, and post on facebook from the comfort of the truck. Plus a Chevy Silveraydo goes infinity miles!

Ken Onion Works Sharp - Man I love this thing. If Crittergitter would spring for one he'd never worry about getting his fixed blade knives sharp again. It'll be June before the hair grows back on my arm from testing all the knives I've sharpened this winter.

Sitka Kelvin Down - Without this thing I might very well be a frozen statue somewhere in the middle of Antelope Basin.

Lowa Ranger boots - I don't know why it took me so long to try these. I love these boots. Perfect blend of support and flexibility for hunting rugged and rocky country. Very versatile boot.

Sitka Talus gloves - My new favorite bird hunting glove. Offer enough protection against sharp rocks, cactus, thistles, etc but offer dexterity and feel for shooting. They dry pretty quickly when wet.

FHF Bino Harness - One of the best gear upgrades I've made.

LL Bean Tech Upland Pants - I've worn a lot of different pants for pheasant and chukar hunting, ranging from cotton twill brush pants to Carharts to Sitka Gear. The LL Bean pants are the bomb. They are a soft shell pant with a synthetic brush facing on them. No more sweaty butt that lasts all day, and no "road rash" from wearing Sitka pants in the wild roses, thistles, and yellowstar thistle. I looked at these about five years ago when they first came out, and went cheap on the Carharts instead. I wish I would have bought them then, they are that good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Platypus Platy Bottles in cold weather - No more frozen bite tubes and the Platy molds to form to what ever space you have in your pack. I won't freeze, even in -22F, based on recent personal experience.

I have a couple of these and have found them to be worth their weight in Gold.

1. First Lite Chama Hoody (worn on every hunt)
2. Helle Fiskekniv (decreased processing time substantially)
3. Caribou bags (WAY better than the cheap cotton ones I was using)
4. Goodwill wool slacks. Yes they're too short, too narrow, and not camo, but for $7, they are a steal.
5. merino wool undies. any brand just not pataguchi, they ride like thong.

Awesome idea Josh. Great to find out about other key gear or tweak the current setup.

No particular order, but a few "new" items that made the season easier, more comfortable, fun, etc.

- Hanwag Alaska GTX boots.
Easily the most comfortable boot out of the box I have ever tried. I tried Lowa, Kenetrek, Vasque, etc., and while all are top notch boot makers, I just didn't love the fit. The Hanwag's were literally ready to go out of the box, and I logged some hard miles with them this season.

- Darn Tough Socks
Great fit, comfy, no blisters and lifetime warranty. Good to go.

- GoPro Hero4 Silver camera
With a touchscreen LCD back, 12 megapixels, waterproof, video/stills, this thing is a great addition for not much weight, and can capture everything you need on a hunt.

- Caribou Gear Game Bags
Used on an elk, antelope and deer, and wash up easily and the Wapiti 'kit' is perfect for anything up to an elk-sized animal. Great bags.

stone glacier solo, unreal performer
also finally started using walking sticks and binos the way they should be, and cant believe I didn't do it sooner!

I didn't try any new stuff this year but I will throw in another vote for Duluth Trading Company pants, two words: crotch gusset.

1. SG Solo
2. Kenetrek Boots - Mountain Extremes and Light Hikers
3. Darn Tough Socks
4. SitkaTimberline pants
5. Caribou Bags
6. Outdoor Edge Razor
All AWESOME!

Cheers,
Bill

Sitka Gear - Stormfront Jacket / Pants: this is their "heavy" gore-tex suit but still packs nicely and is light weight compared to other company offerings. i consider this set part of my survival gear. it is always in the pack (when not on my back) and is light enough to wear as a simple shell outfit too. full length leg zippers make it easy for on/off. love the neoprene cuffs on sleeves as they do keep water out - been tested up to the elbow in water a few times.

Kenetrek Hardscrabbel Hiker - my goto boot in rough conditions. like the uninsulated as is lighter walking and my feet are always hot when moving. for deeper snow, just add a set of gaiters and these are better than even a higher boot as less weight and higher coverage. they take a beating well too

Nightforce NXS 3.5-15 x50 F1 mil/mil rifle scope - unfortunately for you, this model is discontinued... very good long range elk scope yet on low power is still very useable when putting the stalk on elk in thick. F1 (first focal plane) helps greatly in dealing with quick ranging and adjusting for distance shots - i can go over 800yards without dialing turret.

Vortex Optics - Razor HD Spotting Scope 20-60x85: view out this scope looks as good as the Swarovski (i tested side-by-side) at about half the cost with the Vortex "idiot proof" guarantee that when i fall on the scope and break it, they will replace it.

Vortex Optics - Viper HD 10x42 Binoculars: great glass (tested side-by-side with others) reasonable cost and with the Vortex guarantee (i am tough on optics)...

Core4Element Element Glove. Been a great glove. Liked them so much bought a pair in gray to use every day.

Real happy with my Kennetrek gaiters as well.

Don’t know about 2015, didn’t really buy anything new. I did recently buy a 10x14 Kodiak Canvas that will hopefully be in the running for 2016. First test run in March during a public land hog hunt.

Don’t know about 2015, didn’t really buy anything new. I did recently buy a 10x14 Kodiak Canvas that will hopefully be in the running for 2016. First test run in March during a public land hog hunt.

Interested to see what you think of it, been on my list for awhile. Heard these guys split off from Springbar tents and produced a far superior product.

1) EXO Mountain 3500 Backpack
2) Outdoor Research Arete gloves (great in cold, wet weather)
3) Caribou Bags
4) Goodyear Duratrac tires
5) Blaze orange, reflective paracord
6) Savage Lightweight Hunter (wood stock) with Leupold VX-6 scope

6) Savage Lightweight Hunter (wood stock) with Leupold VX-6 scope

Watched a youtube review of that rifle....impressive. Should serve you well with the Leupold 6 atop.

Back