Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

2013 MT Whitetail

PJ0311

I drew a limited permit for deer this year in a lesser known area and was fortunate to spend quite a bit of time in my area. After talking with the manager of the area I was sad to learn that the size of mule deer I was hoping to find was larger than what the area normally produces. I searched anyway and saw surprisingly few mule deer, buck or doe. After a while I started focusing on the whitetail down lower and saw a few good bucks and passed on a couple pretty nice bucks before taking this one. I had watched a good buck bed down earlier in the day and went in after him in the evening. Long story short, I jumped this buck and had to make a split second decision. He's not the biggest buck I saw this year or the biggest whitetail I've shot, but I can't say I'm disappointed in him either. Good luck to those who still have tags in their pockets.

Attachments

• PB150003.jpg
    PB150003.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 675
  • PB150008.jpg
    PB150008.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 679
I don't know the average size, but I was told a 150 class muley would be in the top end for the area. I was also told their is a healthy population of cats in the area so I'm not sure if they're just going to town on the deer in there or what. This wasn't from the biologist, but is was from the guy who lives there and spends most of his time on horseback checking trails/tags, etc.

I don't know the average size, but I was told a 150 class muley would be in the top end for the area. I was also told their is a healthy population of cats in the area so I'm not sure if they're just going to town on the deer in there or what. This wasn't from the biologist, but is was from the guy who lives there and spends most of his time on horseback checking trails/tags, etc.

A blind nun could kill a 150 buck in any unit in MT. Just about any LE unit shoud be able to kick out a 170 minimum. I think you got some bad info.

Nice job on the whitey though.

A blind nun could kill a 150 buck in any unit in MT. Just about any LE unit shoud be able to kick out a 170 minimum. I think you got some bad info.

Nice job on the whitey though.

I wondered about that myself, 150 seemed low for a limited area but what do I know. I spent a lot of time looking for a good muley but never saw what I was looking for. I have a couple of muleys I've taken posted on the deer sticky. I was looking for something bigger than those to give an idea of what I was looking for. I'm sure there are at least a couple big boys in there, it just wasn't in the cards for me this year. I've been very fortunate over the years when it comes to hunting and I'm grateful that I live in a state where I can hunt every year.

I am about 98% sure I know that unit and have spent a lot of time in it over the past decade and steadily watched the muleys basically disappear. 9 years ago I had the bull tag for that unit and saw lots of muleys, including one that would go over 200 as a non-typical. My brother had the deer tag 2 years ago and hunted hard for 6 days and came home with about a 170 muley, which was by far the biggest muley he saw. He and I hunted it for cow elk last year and saw even fewer muleys. His daughter has the tag this year and they spent last weekend in there and put on some miles and the biggest muley they could find was about 150. Talked to the wardens and biologists and got the same message you did; trouble with cats. If they can't find a decent muley, she is hoping to get a whitetail over 150.

Nice buck, but I am sympathetic to your plight. I have been building points for that unit and am having second thoughts.

Back