PEAX Equipment

2013 MT Spring Black Bear

GFHunter

I have been pretty selective over the last few years looking for a bear of any color EXCEPT Black. Last spring I saw 31 bears with 29 being black. This year I am up to 17 bears, all black. I will admit my black bear trigger finger has become a little itchy over the last few years.

So Friday night was no different glassing up several average black bears... AT 7:45 pm this huge black bear stepped out for a green grass feeding. This was the first time we had seen him this year and at first glance I knew he was a Big bear. I was 2.5 miles away and a good hour long hike (or run) to get to him with the last mile going straight up. We were also up against darkness also.

I have done lots of stalks on bears in my life and most of the time the bear has moved on by the time I arrive at the meadow where the bear was feeding but not this time.

Upon entering this meadow It took me a couple of minutes to find this dude. HE WAS STILL THERE which was a big surprise to me since I was totally convinced he would not be there. One look at him at 80 yards...I new he was a special bear.

Dean3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG

http://[URL=http://s11.photobucket.com/user/GFHunter/media/Dean11.jpg.html][/URL]

That thing looks like a toad!!

I definitely see way more colors other than black up here. Mostly chocolate. This year, mine had a little reddish hue.

What a toad, congrats! Of the 14 bears I've glassed this year in Southern Idaho, only 3 or 4 have been black. One blonde, one cinnamon and the rest chocolates. I couldn't tell yah why...

What a toad, congrats! Of the 14 bears I've glassed this year in Southern Idaho, only 3 or 4 have been black. One blonde, one cinnamon and the rest chocolates. I couldn't tell yah why...

There used to be quite a few colored bears in the areas I've hunted but over the past 10 years or so black has kind of taken over. :mad: Not sure why

Wow, you are putting in some serious time and miles to be finding that amount of bears. You sure deserved that one, and then some. Congrats on a great bear.

I like the look of blackies that have really black muzzles. Just something about them looks cool.

There used to be quite a few colored bears in the areas I've hunted but over the past 10 years or so black has kind of taken over. :mad: Not sure why

Well I guess you better round up some buddies and start shooting em!

I agree with Fin. Dark black with a super dark muzzle looks neat, I think it helps make them look even bigger. I haven't seen any decent actual black bears this season yet.

Wow, you are putting in some serious time and miles to be finding that amount of bears. You sure deserved that one, and then some. Congrats on a great bear.

I like the look of blackies that have really black muzzles. Just something about them looks cool.

Fin,

I agree. Them black faces ARE really cool.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K9TXS
Back