Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

2013 Gear Updates

I am looking for about 4 more guns of different calibers and a huge amount of reloading supplies.

A new spotting scope

Upgrades to riflescopes(maybe, not sold on $2000 scopes yet)

A mystery ranch or stone glacier back pack

What is "truly" on the list is yet to be determined. :D

Thanks for the link to FHF Gear Randy. I'll be ordering on the pepper spray holsters from him tomorrow. Might see if I can get on a wait list for the bino harness too.

I am stocking up on ammo and reloading supplies. I hope to take the kid on a p-dog shoot this spring and would hate to gamble on what new taxes and laws may arise. Ammo has been very solid investment in the last 15 years, I like to shoot a lot and I wish I bought a hell of a lot more back when it was dirt cheap.
Besides that, I may check out the new MR bag for the nice frame.
An ultrasonic parts washer for reloading and gun cleaning may be on the list as well.

New early archery season boots (Cabelas/Meindl Denalis) - Check
Video & photo gear for filming all the missed shots (GoPro Hero 3 w/ wifi remote & Canon T3i) - Check,
New bino harness for the Swaro's (Horn Hunter) - still working on this one
So now maybe another pack or the topper for my Longbow - still working on this one.

I'm like CabinFever, I always seem to be trying stuff out and going back to the drawing board for that perfect piece of gear. I'm pretty sure I'll never find it, but it's fun as hell trying.

New boots - my Ktreks are leaking
New sleeping bag if I draw any western hunts as my current one is no longer warm enough
rangefinder - the one I have works, but is way too big
trail cameras - I'd like to put 2-4 on my place to get a better handle on deer movements
tree stands - I get tired of using the climber every day
Tags - I'd like to have more than Hoosier whitetail tags next year.

Every time I feel the need to buy more/new gear this year I am going to go get a $50 visa gift card which I will redeem for gas next fall. I have good boots, a decent pack, enough merino long underwear and socks to not do laundry for a month, more than adequate bag/tent and a rifle that will kill anything in the lower 48. Granted, I can't post any hero shots because my clothing isn't anywhere near "hardcore" enough for the fashion police around these parts.

However, with the health of my father I can't get myself too wound up over 2013 planning.

Just need a new pack for this year. Still trying to find that pack that will pull double duty as a daily use daypack and yet will haul a load as well when the meat hits the ground. Have almost pulled the trigger a couple times in the last week on a MR crewcab with Nice frame. But still waiting to see what their new pack looks like.

There seems to be a custom rifle bug going around the board. Doing my best to remain quarantined.

...although....I do need a bigger and fireproof safe.

Every time I feel the need to buy more/new gear this year I am going to go get a $50 visa gift card which I will redeem for gas next fall.

I like that plan, a lot. Hope everything's well with you over there.

For my gear list, I just picked up one of the Garmin Oregon 450's and have enough gift cards to go get the huntgps software. I've made it this far without using GPS, but decided to cave finally.

I really need a new pair of early season boots. I loved my La Sportivas, but every seam on them decided to blow at the same time this year. I'll probably have to get something lined out there before bear season.

On my wish list is a new rifle. I carried my wife's little 7mm-08 this year and I don't think I can go back to my heavy Ruger. I saw TBone mention 350 dollar tikka's in another thread, I wish I would have caught that while the sale was still on. I've almost pulled the trigger on a Kimber a couple times, but it looks like my window for that might've closed...

I need to get some work done on some rifles and need a new slug gun for the wife and I to share. Also would like to invest in a deer and an elk decoy. Other than that maybe an optics upgrade on my 300 WSM.

1) going to try not to go broke building the .458 SOCOM. 2) (already ordered) another safe 3) do tons of reloading 4) draw a pronghorn tag I hope. ( im hooked). 5) try not to get divorced after the wife catches wind of all this!!! :D

Don't let Dink fool you. He's only broke because he just took delivery on his new Tundra in "Winter Range Camo".

What kind of headlights do you have on that Tundra? I wanna get some for my Tundra!

My gear for 2013 hopefully will be getting a Cooper in 7mm08!

leupold vx-2 3x9x40 CDS scope, savage 25-06 rifle in brush camo, harris ultra light bi-pod, and a set of new boots. I am hoping to be able to acquire these around buying a ring for my lady so who knows if it will work out!

Fix my #1 piece of equipment...me. See orthopedic surgeon about my broken radial head (elbow).

elbow.jpg

Then get in gear for a NV or UT elk hunt? Both? Yes! Please let the computers in Fallon, NV be good to me next year.

New fox pro digital call
one or two pair of new lowa boots
Leupold VX3 2.5x8 for the kimber I just picked up (might need two of these if another rifle gets finished)

If the budget still allows it I might pick up a new full suspension mountain bike or maybe a new bow

I amend my original post to "any other thing that is ridiculously cheap and seemed like a good idea at the time".

Anyone know how to introduce a $100 aluminum canoe to my wife?

Anyone know how to introduce a $100 aluminum canoe to my wife?

Look honey a place to store your scrap booking supplies.........only in the winter though:D Oh yea and it will never rust.

Give that a try and let us know how it went. I'll think of some more for back up.

Back