Caribou Gear

2012 DIY Idaho Buck!

HOLY BUCK! Is there some sort of Idaho/Thanksgiving prank I don't know of where you photoshop massive horns onto a deer??? I'd love to see a deer like that, even outside of hunting season. Buck of a lifetime, congrats!

Very well-done. What kept him from rolling down the hill...did you tie him up first? Gotta be a long story behind this.

I just would like to point out a fact.
Even without antlers that is a beautiful deer. The facial structure is not too wide nor is it too beat up. The color of the coat is more of the brown which I really like!! And it is not overly skinny or look like it has had too many oats!
Just a really beautiful animal-with wet dream type headgear!!

Holy mass batman! I sure wish you lived closer, Paul, as I'd love to officially measure that bad boy in 60 days. Truly one of the best bucks I've seen posted this year. Congratulations, sir and thanks for sharing it with all of us.

BOHNTR, great offer sir! I too am interested in that also just for grins! Thanks!

Randy, those were my exact words when I walked to him "Holy Crap" (grin)

Havegun, no I did not see this buck during our scouting ventures, I hadn't seen him until the moment I glassed him! My Son & I were hunting the Breaks, extremely steep there, I believe this is what keeps most hunters out! That was good for us! (grin) I had passed on 14 smaller bucks as this was a Nov hunt & deer were just starting to rut, nothing chasing at all but some curious youngsters was all we were seeing!

The area we hunted has a regular deer season every year for bow & rifle, so for this guy to be around & avoid hunters so I could find him was a blessing in disguise! (grin) The old saying is true, you have to pass the juveniles to find the bigger guys! By the way, this was the 1st time I'd ever hunted the unit! I had topos of the entire area of interest & studied them well, I picked the nastiest burns I could find & did hours of glassing. This guy was our reward! After the shot it took my son & I 1-hr 15min to get over to him, when we walked towards him our breath was taken away, neither of us had a clue he was nearly that big & heavy. We stood or just kept walking around him in disbelief of his size & how we had underestimated his trophy status! We had him pegged for a 170 class, man I need glasses!!! The actual shot was 351 yds.

Thank You for the awesome comments & yes he's at the Taxi now! It's great to see you guys are enjoying seeing him as much as we were! Thanks!

One more photo of packing him out!

ElkNut1

Attachments

• Paul 2012 Buck - 43.jpg
    Paul 2012 Buck - 43.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 449
Last edited:
I'd be an elknut after a buck like that. Might as well retire and hang the jacket from the rafters. Awesome deer. Thanks for sharing.

You may have ruined deer hunting for yourself. That buck is truly exceptional! congrats

Back