Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

2010 Wyo Pronghorn

TheTone

Thanks to some great advice from Buzz I was able to draw a Wyoming pronghorn tag this year. This would be my first time hunting wyoming and first rifle antelope hunt. I'd never seen the unit I drew, but got some more good pointers from Buzz over the summer and was pretty excited for the hunt. Wish he would have been around just so I could have bought him a beer or two. Left Idaho early Sunday morning and made it to my unit by about 2pm. The first afternoon went pretty well, misjudged a really cool looking buck at close range that in reality I probably should have shot. It just seemed too early in the hunt. The country was a little different than I expected pretty much being all grass prairie with very little brush and rolling hills. The first afteroon I did find some great fence crossing and managed to pick up a horseshoe for (hopefully) some luck. Also noticed no one else actually hiking, just lots of pickups basically driving everywhere. The second morning I basically hiked the same fence line I had the previous night and was into antelope right away. Had one good buck cross the fence right in front of me, but unfortunately had another hunter on the hill directly behind him. Also managed to instersect a small herd at another crossing after another hunter spooked them. Ended up missing the biggest buck in that group at close range. I was pretty much bummed with my miss at that point and started hiking back to the truck. As I was nearing the road I sent a text to a friend for a pep talk and had no sooner gotten a reply on the text when this buck and a doe came running over the hill straight at me. They stopped to cross the fence I was near and I was abe to put a pretty crappy shot in him and keep him from going anywhere. A good follow up shot and I had my first pronghorn. He is a better buck than I intially thought. 14 inches on one side, 14 1/2 on the other, good mass and a cool split prong on one side. Gutted him and loaded him whole in my MR Crew Cab and packed him about 3/4 of a mile to the road where I luckily ran into a couple hunters from Illinois who gave me a lift down the road to my truck. Hope they get a couple good ones for there help.

Attachments

• 2010 Wyo Prong4resize.jpg
    2010 Wyo Prong4resize.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 584
  • 2010 Wyo Prong7resize.jpg
    2010 Wyo Prong7resize.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 568
Nice job hope to have as good of luck as you and harvest my first pronghorn next week!

Nice buck. I'm counting the days until I leave for WY myself. Can't wait.

Nice job, and a good buck. Any photos of the buck on the Crewcab?

A couple, but they didn't turn out that great and are a touch bloody, I could email them if you want. Not sure why I didn't have the guys who gave me a ride take a picture of him loaded up.

A couple, but they didn't turn out that great and are a touch bloody, I could email them if you want. Not sure why I didn't have the guys who gave me a ride take a picture of him loaded up.

Naw, that's ok. Just curious. I thought it would make a cool shot, but I can see how it might have gotten messy. :)

Very nice buck. There is not a better feeling put there knowing you did it your self. Nice job

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back