Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

2008 WY whitetail

BuzzH

So heres the story...

Last night I was getting my stuff together for a trip to Montana. I got all my gear together, had the truck loaded and was just sitting around...minding my own business like I always do.

I was going to watch the news and sat down in the recliner. There next to my recliner was a WY delorme map. I opened it up and starting following my route to MT...HUH, thats funny some public land not too far out of my way. Wow, even better the unit is also open for any whitetail deer Nov. 1-30. I figured it wouldnt cost me much time if I took the scenic route. So, I decided to get up at 3:00 am and hit the road to be at that public land at daylight. I miscalculated and showed up about 40 minutes after light.

I start glassing the spot and find a doe whitetail on public...a bunch of deer just off the public, but mostly mule deer. I looked away for a while and couldnt find that whitetail doe again. So I dig out the spotting scope...yep there she is just feeding along. Then the "doe" picks up its head...NOT A DOE, but a nice buck!

I gathered up my rifle, put my orange on (a kids vest I bought for my nephew, it was all I had handy) and move closer. The buck starts to walk away, but has no idea I'm there. I range him at 348 yards. I layed down prone and rested on my pack. I put the dot on the top of his shoulders and tap the trigger....wooomppp. Dead buck and a lot better than I first thought.

This was definately a last ditch effort and pure luck, but going out of my way 20 minutes paid off. I actually ran into a guide that was working the surrounding private. Talked to him for a while and he showed my a picture of the bull he killed with his bow in WY, a beautiful 340 bull. He congratulated me on killing a nice buck on public land and off he went.

Anyway, heres the pictures:

IMG_2731.JPG

Another look:

IMG_2728.JPG

and another:

IMG_2727.JPG

Those shots in the vest have to be some of the funniest pics in a long time! Awesome buck Buzz!

Nice whitey Buzz, you're doing a great job of taking advantage of opportunity this year. First the road side elk and now this buck. Congrats.

and was just sitting around...minding my own business like I always do.

I can't help but think you smiled when you typed that line. I think you are gonna have a hard time convincing a couple guys around here that you are always minding your own business. :D

Great buck and great story. I love finding little "out of the way" spots that seem to get overlooked like that one. Kinda makes you feel like you "stole" one when a deal like that comes together.

Congrats on a really good public land buck. Looking forward to the MT results.

Great buck and pretty neat how it all came together kind of on a whim. Like BF said those "out of the way" spots pay off bigtime sometimes. The vest is great also.

Congrats buzz that is a great whitetail. The kids' vest pics are hillarious. Maybe you should where it all the time.

Very nice whitetail buck for anywhere.I believe the smile says it all,congratulations.

Bet that hunt would have killed the average road hunter. Way to go...great looking buck.

I'm going to try the tight vest next yr--thanks for the tip----oh yea congrats on nice whitey, good job----chris

Once again, Buzz proves to be one of the leading causes of big game mortality in the West......

Send me your address and I will send you over some clothes that fit.....;)

Nice buck. You got an age on that guy?

congrats Buzz. looks like a mature whitetail you got there. kinda like you in that vest.;):D

Back