Caribou Gear Tarp

2006 WY deer

BuzzH

IMG_1451.JPG

Went out deer hunting on a 3-day solo backpack hunt. I hiked in the first night, saw a deer I'd seen during bow season and decided he needed a couple more years. A really good buck with huge fronts, but his backs are a little small. I still thought he might score 165.

I made the decision to hike into an area that my buddy Doug and I had glassed but never really hunted. Turned out to be a pretty tough hike into it. Hunted all day yesterday in there and saw 27 deer but nothing real good.

I made it back to my tent last night and was tired from the hike in and spending all day glassing for deer in the timber. I turned in at 8:00 pm and didnt wake up until an elk bugled about 200 yards from my tent at around 6 am. I got up and waited until it was light enough to shoot and walked to my first glassing spot. I immediately saw a good buck and got my spotting scope out. I looked him over for about 10 minutes trying to figure out why I shouldnt shoot him. I made the decision that he was a good buck so I crawled about 50 yards to a spot I could shoot from. I looked at him through the scope and decided I needed another look through the spotter. I crawled back up grabbed my spotter and told myself "pretend you havent seen this deer and look him over again". I studied him some more and decided he was a buck I'd be happy with. I rested across my pack and shot...instantly dropping him at 262 yards.

I wasnt disappointed with my decision to shoot him once I got down to him.

A good buck worthy of a couple pictures. I havent taped him yet as the pack out was an absolute beast, gaining and losing serious elevation both ways. Between the heavy pack, lack of water, 4.5 hour hike one way, and summer-time weather...I'm about shot.

Anyway, my 2006 WY mule deer...public land and general tag.

IMG_1451.JPG

Another look.

IMG_1450.JPG

And one last picture.

IMG_1461.JPG

Sounds like a great hunt but all I see are three red x's. Congrats anyway on a great hunt and any time you have to work that hard you've earned it and should be proud of him.

schelmster

this must be the results of having a hunting schedule that would kill the average hunter!
congrats Buzz, truly awesome deer.

Beautiful muley. I see a shot with the ball cap, with the orange vest, but no flip-flop shot. What gives?

damn...isn't it sad we are all looking for flip flop shots?, great buck, and a great way to hunt him.

Congratulations on a real nice buck. Good story, too! I always like those details about crawling back for the spotting scope for a second look. Good pictures, too. I think I've seen more nice smiling pictures from you this year than all the last 5 years combined!:D It's hard to believe a guy can get a deer like that out without using an ATV!!;)

WTG! Any pictures of him head on? Thats a great buck!

You sound like another mule deer 'snob' I know. ;-) Should I or shouldn't I... LOL

What rifle where you useing? Are you still glad you pack around those 'full" weight rifles? :D

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back