Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

2005 Elk hunts

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Thought I would post a picture of the AZ elk I shot this year. Thanks to the guys here who helped wiht my "desk scouting" and research.

The second picture is the NV elk from this year. Thanks again to those who helped with advice.

Attachments

• AZ Elk.jpg
    AZ Elk.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 413
  • NV Elk.jpg
    NV Elk.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 416
Congrats on two great bulls. Most guys would be happy getting a bull like either of those once in their lives, and you knock down two gret ones in one year. COngrats on what appear to be two extremely successful hunts!!

SCOTT

The details

Well guys, the biggest detail was to actually draw the tags. I am sure if any of you had lucked out and drew the tags, you would have the same type of bulls, and maybe even bigger. After many years of trying, lots of dollars purchasing non-resident licenses and bonus points, I lucked out. I almost felt guilty (almost) to have gotten these tags as a non-resident, when so many residents have applied for as many years as I have and they have yet to draw one of these tags.

The AZ hunt was a six-day rifle hunt in the rut. I scouted for a week and had followed one really big bull, that we all guessed to be in the 390+ range. Two other bulls that were over 360. I hunted hard and was never able to get the deal done on one of those three. I had seen this bull while scouting. At the end of the hunt, I thought a guy with those long main beams would be better than tag soup. I hope all of you some day get the chance to hunt on one of these special tags. Maybe cooler weather and less wind for the last three days would have made things turn out differently, but that is hunting.

The NV hunt was a hard hunt. The bulls were up high. After five days of scouting and only seeing one bull, I was discouraged. Once season started, I moved higher and started seeing a lot of bulls, though not many big bulls. This was the second biggest bull I saw. The biggest guy was busted up and would not have scored well, but I would have shot him for his character and mass. After five days of hard hunting, this bull gave an opportunity. I decided that I had scouted and hunted hard and this would be a good trophy to show for my efforts. It is really neat country and requires a lot of scouting, a guide, or some really good luck to find one of the monsters in that thick cover. They do live there, but the cover and desolation of the terrain gives them many chances to get away and grow old.

Both hunts were public land do-it-yourself hunts. I had a lot of help from friends and others who gave tips or information about where and what tactics. I am sure I will never have another year like this. So, I will enjoy the memories and hope some day to have the chance to chase public land bulls in areas as great as AZ or NV.

Happy Hunting!

Those are some Dandy's for sure. Looks like your Join date is Dec 2000 and your just starting to post. Those critters made it well worth the wait for us, bud :)

Kudos on the Hunt, I see you guys faired well with deer too (in another thread). Awesome !!!! Enjoy the Memories.....

Man Randy! That's a heck of a year you had, and your son.. elk and deer. Talk about busy!! Congratulations! Great looking animals and sounds like you had a real exciting fall!

Nice work....Stud bulls. That's going to be a tough season to top. Great photos. Did you tape them out yet? Just curious to hear what they score.

Great work man. Both of those bulls are real trophies.

I have NV points accumulating as well. Do you mind sharing what unit you drew for?

I've lived in AZ all my life and have yet to draw an elk tag. Great draws and even better bulls!

Big Fin, nice job getting onto those two awesome bulls. You're luck at the draw is incredible. Hope your wallet can keep up with your luck. LOL. Congrat's again.

Fin, great animal's... CONGRAT's. You look sorta familiar, musta seen you around town somehwere!

T-Bone:

The NV unit was the first season in 111-115, 221, 222. I had 8 points when I drew. I actually think the second hunt will be better this year (starts tomorrow), as it will have some snow. There was no snow on the early hunt.

Good luck in your drawings this year.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back