MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

2 elk mistakenly killed in Wisconsin

The year before I started hunting with CPO some "people" from GA came up to the mountain and were doing all kinds of shady stuff. When the CPW officer (who was called by another hunter) check there camp he found a moo cow (that year's) hanging from the meat pole. When he asked WTF? Dude said "I have a cow tag" and even at that point didn't know the difference. There is simply no excuse, ever for this type of crap. MAYBE a WT/Muley in a mixed area, but other than that.....nope

I was at camp watching a group of 3 mule deer does in a field at sunset when I noticed a bow hunter stalking them. He crept closer until finally they ran off in my direction, then walked through my camp in plain sight at about 15-20 yards. A few minutes later, the hunter (from CO) comes up and we start talking. He said he could only get within 90 yards which is a bit too far for him. He asked me if I saw the big one in the front and I joked that yeah, she looked like a cow. He gave me a funny look. I remarked that it was cool he had a deer tag and he looked at me funny again and said, no, he only had an elk tag. Then I realized that he truly thought he was stalking elk and was fully prepared to take the shot if he could have. I didn't have the desire to even get into it with him and just let the awkward conversation drift elsewhere.

If these things happen among “hunters” Imagine how ignorant and naive the non hunting public is about wildlife.
I took my little girl to the Dallas world aquarium this summer and the exhibit for the giant river otter was empty for repairs and the otter was moved elsewhere. Later on at another tank in the aquarium I came across a mom pointing and excitedly telling her kids “look it’s the otter that was missing from upstairs!” It was a freaking MANATEE she was pointing at! I politely told her that was a manatee not an otter then made my exit because she looked like she was ready to argue we were in fact looking at the missing otter. You can’t make this stuff up. 🤦‍♂️

One deer season I arrested a guy (in his 50's) who shot a brown billy goat, tied to a tree, on a woman's front lawn, from a road, in a rural area, with nearby people screaming at him not to shoot. When I caught up with him, he claimed he had shot a big buck, and had left the scene because people were harassing him. He would not believe he shot a goat. Over the years, I found it quite scary that some "hunters" want to see game so badly, they actually believe they do... when they don't !!

quite frightening really, We was always taught to identify the quarry before pulling the trigger, or let it walk. I got an invite to hunt moose in sweden, when we had our safety brief all the adult tags had been filled only a single calf was to be taken on my stand only half an hour into the hunt a big gangly moose came by it looked immature but looked too big to be a calf, I had never actually seen a moose before, I put the rifle down and filmed him, another one came by later similar size and i just smiled and filmed. after the drive had finished I showed the footage and I was informed I had done the right thing. What i find odd is the number of shots per animal,regards wayne.

They used to call it Slow Elk season in MT...range cattle.
I have seen a Tule bull brought into a CAG&F checkpoint during deer season,twice. Both guys said they thought they got a really big buck,in the blacktail zone.

They used to call it Slow Elk season in MT...range cattle.
I have seen a Tule bull brought into a CAG&F checkpoint during deer season,twice. Both guys said they thought they got a really big buck,in the blacktail zone.

I lived in Montana 1970 to 1975. Only place I've ever heard the term slow elk! Yep they do or did use the term up there! :)

From the road rage story: "The elk were illegally killed on Aug. 18 after Benes left a party at a Hutterite Colony on Highway 12...“I’ll make these bitches move,” Benes said, according to his statement to state game wardens."

I hear those Hutterite guys throw crazy parties, and maybe this guy would have been perfect for that Amish Mafia show :ROFLMAO:

I guy I know here in Colorado (who had grown up in CA hunting small game, and was a pretty smart guy in general) took up bowhunting because he really wanted to kill a caribou with a bow, and I thought that was an awesome goal. He made a remark one day that struck me as funny though, something about how cool it was that he could go chase them on weekends during bow season...It took a lot of doing for me to finally convince him that he should just buy an elk tag because the 'caribou' he kept seeing along I-70 were actually elk.

I lived in Montana 1970 to 1975. Only place I've ever heard the term slow elk! Yep they do or did use the term up there! :)
'74-75 for me. Basin,MT. Long time ago. Anyone who wasn't a rancher I was around called them slow elk. Miners,loggers,tradesmen.

Well if you live in Wisconsin and never seen a live elk before, and you read the regs, THIS is the only warning about elk:

dontshootelk640.png

Not a lot of Scale difference in the warning....

It wasn’t that long ago that a guy shot a horse in Wisconsin during deer season. To make matters worse it was being ridden by someone in full blaze orange.

I despise Wisconsin rifle season. It's armature hour and the majority of hunters put a weapon in hand for the only time all year. Many don't sight in, practice, and get so excited to see anything with 4 legs they blaze away. I've only hunted it twice in more than a decade because it's so lame.

Well if you live in Wisconsin and never seen a live elk before, and you read the regs, THIS is the only warning about elk:

dontshootelk640.png

Not a lot of Scale difference in the warning....
The elk are in a pretty small area. Anyone hunting in those 2 areas should be thinking about that. I heard she was a new hunter, don't make it excusable but a little more tolerable. If it was her first year she should have been mentored better. People mess up, it's always going to happen. I know a guy that shot a black Angus on a Texas hog hunt. Thought it was a black hog on the other side of brush. Idiot.

I despise Wisconsin rifle season. It's armature hour and the majority of hunters put a weapon in hand for the only time all year. Many don't sight in, practice, and get so excited to see anything with 4 legs they blaze away. I've only hunted it twice in more than a decade because it's so lame.
I agree 100%, dislike it more and more every year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back