Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

168 gr Berger Classic Hunter data?

mtmuley

Been messing around with my .06 a little bit. On a whim I picked up a box of the 168 Classic Hunters. Anybody have the Berger data for these? I know I can email Berger, and probably will. Or I might just wing it. Figured I'd ask here too. Thanks, mtmuley

This is out of the Berger book 1st edition. Not the classic hunter but should work up about the same. Bergers website list this as the bc on 168 classic hunter.
G1 .496
G7 .254

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 2,515
Thanks Muleyfanatic. Exactly what I needed. Brass is prepped and ready to go. Appreciate it. mtmuley

Surprised that the max for R15 is that low with that bullet. Interesting. I use a skosh more than that with a 165gr Partition and I didn't think I was pushing it too hard.

Surprised that the max for R15 is that low with that bullet. Interesting. I use a skosh more than that with a 165gr Partition and I didn't think I was pushing it too hard.
I load some other Berger bullets, and Berger's data seems to be on the mild side. I've pushed past their max in a couple cartridges without any problems. mtmuley

Been messing around with my .06 a little bit. On a whim I picked up a box of the 168 Classic Hunters. Anybody have the Berger data for these? I know I can email Berger, and probably will. Or I might just wing it. Figured I'd ask here too. Thanks, mtmuley

What powder are you thinking about or currently using? I have shot close to 1000 of them out of an '06 on steel targets. Factory barrel, what length?

cowboy, loaded some just now. I used what I had on hand, but am gonna try some other powders when I can get them. So far... IMR 4064, H414 and H4350. Factory Remington 721 with a 24 inch barrel. It's a shooter and looking to stretch the ol girl a bit. Any suggestions? mtmuley

Where are you located? I know Colstrip is out of the way but I have a pile of it and could part with a couple pounds

cowboy, loaded some just now. I used what I had on hand, but am gonna try some other powders when I can get them. So far... IMR 4064, H414 and H4350. Factory Remington 721 with a 24 inch barrel. It's a shooter and looking to stretch the ol girl a bit. Any suggestions? mtmuley

If you looking to stretch it out and want best velocity I would suggest RL17. RL17 has surpassed 4064, 4350 and 4831 in 2 different '06 rifles - one shooting the 168 Berger classics and one shooting the 208 gr. Amax's.

Down side - the RL 17 has shown some temp instability from -5F to 90F ( about .8 to .9 fps for every degree of temp change) depending on the weight of the bullet.

I seat them Classics at .020" off the lands and let r rip. I have found no difference in accuracy of the Classics from right off the lands clean out to .100" off the lands. They are no where as critical on OAL as the standard Berger VLD hunting bullet.

You should have no problem getting good velocity out of RL17 and a 24" tube. I initially tried RL17 because I had a 22" barrel on one of my rifles that just wasn't getting the velocity that I wanted until I tried 17. I've found the 168 Classics to work well out to 700 yds then they fall off pretty fast - the 208 gr Amax's will go as far as the capability of the nut behind the bolt shooting the rifle.

Fire 9, I appreciate that, but I am in Corvallis. Bout 7 hours or so away. cowboy, RL-17 is another powder on my list. The temp thing doesn't worry me a bit for hunting applications. Good to hear about seating depth and the Classics. Precisely why I bought them. I've loaded VLD's, and when you finally find the sweet spot, they are great. Thanks a bunch for the input guys. mtmuley

So the Classic Hunters shoot very, very well with H4350. I want more speed, so am gonna get some RL-17 when I can. Really happy with the bullet so far. Also, my friends all copper rebated boat tail 165's shot like crazy. Gonna have to have him send me some more of them. mtmuley

So the Classic Hunters shoot very, very well with H4350. I want more speed, so am gonna get some RL-17 when I can. Really happy with the bullet so far. Also, my friends all copper rebated boat tail 165's shot like crazy. Gonna have to have him send me some more of them. mtmuley

If you want distance, forget about the bullets in the 165-168 gr class in the '06 and get up there with some 208 gr Amax or the 215 Bergers behind some RL17. The heavier bullets totally outclass the mid weight bullets when it comes to BC and wind drift - and the wind never stops over here on this side of the State.

I'm not going to go too crazy as far as distance with the .06. As the kids get older they can move into larger cartridges and with the Bergers, I have an accurate load they can shoot a lot fairly reasonably as far as cost. More speed is mostly for me. And I do have the RUM for going long. mtmuley

56.5 grains of H4350, no pressure and under MOA. Might not need RL-17. Couldn't chrony cause all the paper plate group guys were at the range. Shoulda known better than to go there the weekend before antelope opener. Next weekend I'm going to my private mountain spot. mtmuley

The tactical throngs were just arriving when Jr.and I were finishing up checkfouling some 300 yard lobs.

I might catch come heat, but the tacticool AR guys are a pain in the ass. Flatbrims and all. Rather deal with the good ol boys. mtmuley

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back