100 chukar a season vs a trophy big game animal.

I think the chukars are the greater achievement. But by the time you hit 100 you've probably logged so many miles, so much vert that you would have longed passed from it being fun into the realm of a chore. If you average 4 birds a day (which here in WA would be a struggle but probably do-able on good bird years) you've have to fit in 25 days between oct 1 and January 15, which means you would have to devote basically every Saturday and Sunday to trying to shoot 4 chukars. That's a helluva dedication to pull that off.

You live in the right place to try...

My gas budget would not survive a quest for 100 chukars, but it would sure be fun to try.

I've been lucky to live in good chukar/mule deer country for the last 40 years. For the last 22 years I've lived right in the middle of it. I've killed a limit of chukar 500 yards from my house and in 2014 a 30" muley the same distance from the house. In years of average to good hatches 100 chukar a year was no big deal if you had a good dog. There were a few guys killing 200 by hunting the OR and ID sides of the Snake. We took the good hunting for granted thinking it would never change but it did. About 4 years ago they started on a steady decline. They're just now starting to come back to what I consider hunt able numbers. The country I hunt is more moderate terrain for chukar and it seems like they are slower to recover in it than in the steep,extreme chukar country. Even in the years that I could have killed more I eventually settled on around 50 birds a season. That was about the right number for me to use and some to give to those who were to old to hunt them anymore. Now I'm happy to get a few and give the dog some work. I need both hips replaced so I stay out of the real radical country. You are right about the 70's and 80's. Lots of birds most years and little pressure. The country NW of Pyramid Lake not far from you was very good.
I also used to take getting a mature mule deer for granted but we all know they have declined. A buck every 3 or 4 years is good enough for me now. It was always satisfying to me to take the biggest buck I could find but there's a special feeling I always had hiking back with a tired dog and a vest full of chukar. It takes you into some amazing country.

Brittany chukarman- I'm extremely envious of your God's country area where you live. Quick ?- What is the daily limit of chukar in your part of the country? Am I correct that theoretically you can shoot 8 chukar and 8 Huns separately? Of course NV doesn't have many Huns but the limit is a total of 6 birds mixed bag --chukar & Huns.

Not in Oregon. Limit is 8 birds mixed. I think Idaho is still 8 chukar and 8 Huns daily. I know it used to be a few years ago.
You are correct. The limit is 8 chukar and 8 Huns in Idaho. Best for me this year is 8 Chukar and 3 Huns. I don't have any problems with finding family who want to help eat them. When my daughter was around five, I always got a chuckle from watching peoples expression after they asked her what her favorite meal was. Her response was always, "Ooh, that's easy, Chukar Nuggets!" Leaving them with this confused look on their face. They are right up their on my list as well.
With regard to the original question, don't know if I could say I prefer one type of hunting over another. They are so different and I enjoy both types. For me working with a good bird dog and watching him hold point is every bit as enjoyable as shooting a big buck or bull. A limit of chukar is also a bit easier to pack out at the end of the day.
On the other hand, being surrounded by a herd of elk in the middle of the dark timber with a nice 6 point bull in your sights is quite a rush. I am just blessed to have the health and live in a location which I can do both on a regular basis each Fall.

100 birds seems like a body count goal. I'll gladly hunt one exceptional big game animal of any species first. mtmuley

Is that an invitation? i'll be doing it next year.

I wish. Following a back surgery I think that is becoming less of a reality. But in theory (If I had a healthy body) that hunt would be the pinnacle for me. As others have said, wild chukar hunts are physically punishing and I think the Snow @#)(# will be even-more-so I wish you the best of luck. Please post up when you return.

Never hunted birds in the West, but it is on my soon to do list. I would take birds over big game since I really enjoy hunting with my dog. Most people in Wisconsin think I'm nuts when I'm out duck hunting during the whitetail rut in November.

Sheep, Elk, Mule Deer in that order. Now the beauty of Chukars is they are always a great opportunity. I do love the high desert and chasing those evil little birds.

Interesting discussion. I've had the same thoughts about ducks. The way I look at this one is days in the field. If I was limited to say a one week or ten day hunt for one trophy animal OR a long chukar or duck season, I would be more satisfied with the 100 Chukar. If I get to hunt big game, chase Chukar, and shoot ducks in the same season the trophy elk or deer is what I would be most satisfied with.

On the other hand if I wanted to loose weight, get in shape, and be very frustrated with a small red legged bird it is Chukar all the way.

I really want to hunt the Snowcock because of the challenge of the terrain and the cunning of this bird. I would rather kill a big Mulie or Mt. Goat up high in those mountains, but the reality of packing out with an overloaded backpack full of gear, meat, cape and antlers. At 54 with bad knees I shouldn't push it anymore. I love wilderness hunting and getting into remote country, but to choose between a pack out with big game miles from the trailhead, or pack out some birds, bird hunting is more and more appealing. I'll always hunt big game, I just have to limit myself to areas with easy access.

I lived in Reno for 4 years and thoroughly enjoyed chukar hunting with my GSP. We put a lot of miles on driving to Gerlach in the dark, hunting hard all day, hitting Bruno's, and driving back in the dark. I'd guess we surpassed the 100 mark a couple of those years.

As to your question,,,I'm good with either.

I've had a few 100 bird years. Working with my dogs is pretty tough to beat. I would trade it for a desert sheep hunt in a second though!!!

So a hunting buddy of mine and I were having this discussion regarding what do you personally feel would be more satisfying- Harvesting 100 WILD chukar (planted birds at a hunt club don't count!!) in a season, of course with the help of your trusty hunting dog or dogs, OR harvesting a trophy mule deer, elk or big horn sheep. Being close to a lifelong Nevada resident I have had the wonderful fortune of harvesting a 183" mule deer buck, 162 5/8" Desert Bighorn ram, & 330" bull elk. Of course in NV pretty much the elk and sheep are once in a lifetime hunts. Considering the achievements of the big game animals I've harvested I still believe the holy grail is 100 wild chukar in a season. Now every one of us have different dynamics. I'm 59 w/ daughters and grandkids. I also own a business so the amt of my "free time" to hunt is limited pretty much to weekends. Some of you are in your 20's and 30's and single, in better shape and may or may not have more hunting time. Personally, & yea call me crazy, I'd rather harvest 100 chukar. Let the debate begin!!!
I'm resurrecting a long dead thread because I'm been looking at bird dog pups and thinking about chukars all day.

100 chukars in a season is a helluva goal. I have yet to crack 30, and this year probably won't crack 20.

Back