Yeti GOBOX Collection

100 chukar a season vs a trophy big game animal.

You know, much of the allure of chukar hunting is to find the birds on your own. Your efforts to help forego that hard and honorable way by hotspotting to someone that you don't even know is soooo internet hunter.

I'm willing to bet that the spot(s) you want to disclose aren't even yours - but handed down to you by someone else
Nobody asked you, Richard.

I'm just maybe getting to the point where I might NOT ground pound one on a road, but that's a hard maybe...
Not admitting to anything but there were quite a few trips after I had a driver’s license without adult supervision might have done something like that.

That's a fantastic photo
Thank you. I dug it up a while back as I was sorting through some boxes.

We all have places that are near and dear to us that get interwoven into our history and life experiences. This is one of mine. I first went there when I was 17, and it was my first real exposure to what hunting would later become to me.

This area was purchased by the game department in the 1980's IIRC. While I was at college, I became good friends with a guy whose grandpa had ranched this place, and then sold it to the state. I met his grandpa at a scholarship awards banquet and had a fantastic conversation with him.

The old hay rakes and such are always fun to see, but it's so much more meaningful when you can talk to the tough old birds who made places like that work. I wish I could go back and revisit that conversation.

It's a goal of mine to leave boot tracks on as many ridges of this part of the world as I can. It's where the ashes of my hunting dogs have gone, and someday mine as well.

Chukar would be more satisfying simply because I have never hobbled back to the pick up cursing a herd of "devil" mule deer while dreaming of vengeance. Trophy big game animals avoid the hunter because they desire life. Chukar bust wild, fly down hill, run up, and chirp at you the whole time because they are heartless birds that rejoice in human suffering.

Attachments

• 20181210_141801.jpg
    20181210_141801.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 3
Thank you. I dug it up a while back as I was sorting through some boxes.

We all have places that are near and dear to us that get interwoven into our history and life experiences. This is one of mine. I first went there when I was 17, and it was my first real exposure to what hunting would later become to me.

This area was purchased by the game department in the 1980's IIRC. While I was at college, I became good friends with a guy whose grandpa had ranched this place, and then sold it to the state. I met his grandpa at a scholarship awards banquet and had a fantastic conversation with him.

The old hay rakes and such are always fun to see, but it's so much more meaningful when you can talk to the tough old birds who made places like that work. I wish I could go back and revisit that conversation.

It's a goal of mine to leave boot tracks on as many ridges of this part of the world as I can. It's where the ashes of my hunting dogs have gone, and someday mine as well.
Got my first experience hunting this year I'm 19, just moved to Wyoming for college and a friend took me up some ridges to shoot dusky grouse. I knew after that I'll be doing this the rest of my life.

100 chukar, no hesitation! I can’t taste the difference between a mature bull elk and a cow.

@Hunting Wife its not uncommon to see 100 chukars in a day. Also, not all chukar country is vertical. Shoot me a PM if you’re interested in some flatter country.
Thanks. Might have to take you up on it sometime. For me it would just be the novelty of trying something new. Hunting Husband is the real bird hunter and I think he would be tickled to chase a new species. I know some spots in Colorado that had chukars but that was almost 20 years ago now.

Excellent to hear, Tommy! I'm guessing you're down at Laramie?
Yep, my main focus has been trying to figure out the elk thing since I got there but we shoot lots of grouse because they taste a million times better than dining hall food at the University

Back