0-3

ElkHunter11

Well, I just got back from my 1st rifle CO elk hunt late last night. I once again came up empty handed, though had many encounters and a great time with my Dad and some friends. Having said that, I definitely wished I tagged my first elk (had been on 2 archery hunts prior to this and am now 0-3 elk hunting). I got a shot at a decent 5x bull and missed at 230 yards. I stand hunt a lot in Texas and I think it has ruined me... We did a lot of running/gunning on this hunt- I had to run about 100 yards, uphill and dropped to my knee to make a shot at the bull. This is where stand hunting has ruined me- I have never had to shoot winded or from my knee/freehanded. I was very out of breath and couldn't get steady enough to make a good shot. I shot just under the bull and he took off on a dead sprint. It's going to be a very long year waiting on another chance to tag a bull. I did learn a lot on this hunt and will be practicing this offseason shooting from different positions and winded. I will also do some different style white-tail hunting this season to get more comfortable with those style of shots. Though very discouraged, I am very blessed I got to spend a week with my Dad (he lives in California and I live in Texas) and will cherish those memories forever. Good luck to the rest of you who still have hunts planned!

Hangin there and keep practicing shooting from different positions. Perhaps a set of shooting sticks would help if there is nothing to use for a rest or lean up against.

I'm with you Elkhunter 11 , anytime with my Dad is the true trophy even when the hunt isn't as successful as you had dreamed , my dad is 74 and can still get after it , but I know my time in the woods is running short, he is gonna tag along with me on my Blacktail hunt the 1st week of Nov , then I will hang with him on the last part of his elk hunt in late nov , then in Feb mom and I have cow tags , I'm looking forward to that time to chase animals and just be together as family, Hope you get many more hunts with your pops

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back