Zinke votes against public land sales

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Montana Congressman, Ryan Zinke, sent out an explanation of why he voted against the Joint Budget Resolution today. As you can see below, he provided his reasons for doing so as his rejection of the language that would allow for public land sales.

Thank you Congressman Zinke! Your effort to stand for public lands is greatly appreciated.

“Tonight I took a very difficult vote. I voted against a budget resolution that did a lot of great things for our state and our country. It balanced the budget in 10 years with no new taxes, and it reduced government spending. It repealed ObamaCare so that patients had the power of choice again. And, it strengthened Medicare and Social Security for generations to come. It was a resolution that I supported when we first passed it in the House.

“The Senate passed their budget shortly after. Then both of the chambers came together to reconcile their differences according to the democratic process. This conference process resulted in the revised budget resolution that included a provision that, as a fifth generation Montanan, I simply could not vote for. It included vaguely-written language to allow the sale of public lands. I have said before, and I will say again: Montana is not for sale.

“In Montana our land is our way of life. Our public lands support local economies and provide generations of Montanans with world-class opportunities in hunting, fishing, hiking and other recreation. And, our land provides us with vast natural resources and unrivaled energy potential.

“Repealing ObamaCare and balancing the budget remain on top of my list of priorities, however I will never tolerate our land being sold or transferred. Montana truly is the last best place on earth. We must all do our part to preserve that.”

Here is a link to his release on the topic. https://zinke.house.gov/media-cente...st-public-lands-sales-joint-budget-resolution

As great as it is to see Congressman Zinke stand up for public lands, it is disappointing to see that the Resolution did pass the House today. Don't think the sale of your public lands could never happen.

Good for Ryan, although I've phoned his office several times on this issue without response, his vote was far better than any form letter. I'll thank him right away.

Glad he voted the way he did. With it still passing though it makes me wonder if they did a little wheeling and dealing to allow the freshman representative from MT to vote this way and not get strung up. I just don't trust anyone in politics anymore.

Glad he voted the way he did. With it still passing though it makes me wonder if they did a little wheeling and dealing to allow the freshman representative from MT to vote this way and not get strung up. I just don't trust anyone in politics anymore.

Or he's positioning himself for an open senate seat in a few years.

I appreciate Zinke's vote, and wrote him saying so.

The rest of his letter is tiresome garbage. Like his disappointment in not getting to vote to repeal ObamaCare for the 58th Time Literally the 58th time.

I guess we should just take what we can get anymore.

Although I don't agree with the Congressman on everything, I very much appreciate his vote on this issue that is very important to me and my family. Good on him.

I hear he's already planning on going after Tester's seat in 2018. Pro public lands and con Obama care. What's not to like about that?

I hear he's already planning on going after Tester's seat in 2018. Pro public lands and con Obama care. What's not to like about that?

The "con Obama care" part.

Of course, unlike most Americans, I don't work for federal, state or local government, or a corporation that pays me income in the form of health care upon which I don't have to pay taxes. As a small business man (you know, the guys that slimy politicians like to call the back bone of America), I had to subsidize all that by paying "market" rates, not based on risk but on returns to those who invest their dividends in emerging markets and tanking the world economy; so I'm probably biased. :p Would I prefer universal, single payer? Yes, but "compromise" had to include keeping "insurance" companies in the loop. Greed is bipartisan and they had to please their masters.

The "con Obama care" part.

Of course, unlike most Americans, I don't work for federal, state or local government, or a corporation that pays me income in the form of health care upon which I don't have to pay taxes. As a small business man (you know, the guys that slimy politicians like to call the back bone of America), I had to subsidize all that by paying "market" rates, not based on risk but on returns to those who invest their dividends in emerging markets and tanking the world economy; so I'm probably biased. :p Would I prefer universal, single payer? Yes, but "compromise" had to include keeping "insurance" companies in the loop. Greed is bipartisan and they had to please their masters.

James,

You're a pragmatic hardcore lefty. No wonder Buzz likes you.;)

Zinke will need support moving forward.

From Jennifer Fielder's Facebook page:

screenshot.jpg

James Conner, who writes the Flathead Memo had this to say:

"Welcome to the 2016 Republican primary, where Zinke and Tim Fox will be among the targets of the more conservative than thee wing of the party."

James Conner, who writes the Flathead Memo had this to say:

"Welcome to the 2016 Republican primary, where Zinke and Tim Fox will be among the targets of the more conservative than thee wing of the party."
I don't know if it made the state papers, but when Zinke won the primary over the ultraconservatives Wittich and his AFP crew were quite open in saying they didn't want that to happen again and they were going to sue to close the primaries, preventing the independents from having a voice. Tim Fox was one of the supporters of HB454 which closed the loophole that would have given the suit a chance. Bullock signed it yesterday.

I couldn't help but notice that Zinke got more conservative after the primary, which must be the first time that ever happened, and it was in the face of a weak challenger whose bold plan for fixing the economy was to not pay congress if they didn't balance the budget. Even I couldn't stomach Lewis promoting that as a serious solution. The point being is that the AFP has him by the balls right now with the threat of a difficult primary so if we don't show support he won't feel he has the backing to continue this sort of stuff.

FYI - Daines voted for it, again.

Ugh. I bet most people here are here for the hunting-goodness, and not the political scraps. But dang it.

Back in January, I ranted against Senator Daines on here regarding his LWCF flop, and said this,

"This is exactly who Steve Daines is. Expect more."

Since then the "more" has come to fruition. Daines pulled the wool over a lot of Montana sportsmen's eyes, and perhaps many feel there are bigger fish to fry other than sportsman's issues, and that's fair enough.

I've watched Daines pretty closely since his Montana political career began. So I'll say it again. When it comes to sportsman's issues - expect more.

Ugh. I bet most people here are here for the hunting-goodness, and not the political scraps. But dang it.

Back in January, I ranted against Senator Daines on here regarding his LWCF flop, and said this,

Since then the "more" has come to fruition. Daines pulled the wool over a lot of Montana sportsmen's eyes, and perhaps many feel there are bigger fish to fry other than sportsman's issues, and that's fair enough.

I've watched Daines pretty closely since his Montana political career began. So I'll say it again. When it comes to sportsman's issues - expect more.

Ah yes, the same thread where I said he hasn't been too nutty.

Do you have anything more specific Ben?

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back