Yvon Chouinard on Meateater Podcast

That's a bit like saying the the US doesn't need to produce oil because Saudi Arabia does... although even that isn't accurate as California produces more than 70% of the world's almonds, while the US only produces 18% of the world's oil.

Oil and produce are apples to oranges. Oil is where it is and produce is a renewable resources that can be moved to different environmental conditions.

I’m absolutely ok with California being its own country and marching to its own beat. If the San Andros fault decide it was time to break off California, those resources would be able to moved and production could easily be absorbed by the failing grain industry.

Oil and produce are apples to oranges. Oil is where it is and produce is a renewable resources that can be moved to different environmental conditions.

I’m absolutely ok with California being its own country and marching to its own beat. If the San Andros fault decide it was time to break off California, those resources would be able to moved and production could easily be absorbed by the failing grain industry.

1.) California is one the largest economies in the world. Having them leave means higher taxes for you & I to make up for the tax dollars that are leaving. Although, if this means no more Micheal Bay movies, I may be okay with that.

2.) William, I'm not a commie. I'm a classic liberal who believes in a regulated market & the ability of capitalism to lift all boats, so long as the greedy aren't allowed to control the means of production & governance. Closer to Dwight D. & Kennedy than Reagan & Clinton. Welcome to the radical middle.

1.) California is one the largest economies in the world. Having them leave means higher taxes for you & I to make up for the tax dollars that are leaving. Although, if this means no more Micheal Bay movies, I may be okay with that.

I didn’t think much about that, I am sure they would go up a little. Mainstream America wouldn’t allow it to get to high. Also, with that population they have a much higher need for imports than they will exports.

Anyway this is all hypothetical, let’s get back to hunting talk.

I didn’t think much about that, I am sure they would go up a little. Mainstream America wouldn’t allow it to get to high. Also, with that population they have a much higher need for imports than they will exports.

How are grouse looking in lower MI?

1570645066403.png

2.) William, I'm not a commie. I'm a classic liberal who believes in a regulated market & the ability of capitalism to lift all boats, so long as the greedy aren't allowed to control the means of production & governance. Closer to Dwight D. & Kennedy than Reagan & Clinton. Welcome to the radical middle.

Crap... by that definition you and I comrade are in the same boat.

Addicting, find the maps of which states pay in more and less money than they get back from the Feds. CA carries their freight, and a good chunk of Montana's too. MI, I suspect is about break-even.

I don't care much for almonds. Does CA grow cashews or pecans? They're the best nuts in the can.

I like California a lot. I've hunted deer and bear there, and spent some time there for work. Also toured Yosemite. You won't catch me hunting, working, or eating nuts in a Patagonia get-up though.
Thanks for the laugh! That was funny!

Reactions: LCH
How are grouse looking in lower MI?

Haven’t been out, I would imagine with the constant wet spring we had the eggs didn’t fair well. We have just as many fields planted as unplanted because they couldn’t get on them until 3rd week of June. The UP may of faired better, need to make it a point to get up there.

Addicting, find the maps of which states pay in more and less money than they get back from the Feds. CA carries their freight, and a good chunk of Montana's too. MI, I suspect is about break-even.

And Nevada population would explode with all those ocean front properties. All of those trophy species would be displaced to Utah. Then all the point holders that couldn’t draw a tag finally draw, making Utah’s NR License cost skyrocket. Finally it would be constant bitching about Utah’s NR tag prices come February. I can’t handle this hypothetical rabbit hole anymore.

I concede CA can stay....

I finally got around to listening to it. I cannot understand how some people say he's anti hunting. I mean if you view him as "extreme left" which some of you clearly do, who do you think is actually better for a sportsman's way of life, a guy who's daughter tried to break a deer neck and stuff it in a car, or Rob freakin' Bishop or Ted sell it all Cruz, both effectively represent the far right? I just don't understand the level of bias that must exist to come to that conclusion.

I don't think there can be any question that he is anti predator hunting, and apparently nuance is out and binary is in for some here. Personally I can disagree with him on predator issues, and on some political stances he seems to favor, while still appreciating his life experience, and his stance on public access, and his support of the hunting and fishing activities he does support.

There is definitely a time for lines in the sand kind of rhetoric, but I wonder if some go to it too easily on their pet issues.

I don't believe he is anti hunting. He is anti esa for wolves and griz. Opposed to State Management of such and he's far out there on many subjects - such as the cotton, etc... But he's definitely made his money and has his minions that support his anti State Management of wolves and griz.

He certainly omits his hunting endeavors such as his gopher stories, when speaking with his other merchandise minions... Definitely plays to his audience. A man who knows how to sell merchandise.

I don't believe he is anti hunting. He is anti esa for wolves and griz. Opposed to State Management of such and he's far out there on many subjects - such as the cotton, etc... But he's definitely made his money and has his minions that support his anti State Management of wolves and griz.

He certainly omits his hunting endeavors such as his gopher stories, when speaking with his other merchandise minions... Definitely plays to his audience. A man who knows how to sell merchandise.

As I drive to and from work each day past about 100,000 acres of cotton fields, I wonder if he really is trying to "make" a difference on some of his agenda items, or trying to "look" like he is making a difference.

Having 650 farmers in India growing 1 to 2 acre fields of low impact cotton isn't going to provide enough cotton to make one run of one style or size of socks.

Some of the cotton farms I drive by actually use wheat as a cover crop and plant the cotton into the wheat stubble. Some use underground drip irrigation systems that cost hundreds of thousands of dollars to install but save hundreds of thousands of gallons of water each year. Lots have trimmed the number of machines needed to harvest the cotton from 3 or 4 tractors and machines to just 1 so the amount of fuel used is way less. Seems that there are some real steps that could be made in sustainable farming of cotton if a company like Patagonia would get behind some of these type of practices and encourage them instead of a few farmers in India farming 1 or 2 acres of cotton each.

That wouldn't work near as well as an agenda item or a talking point on a podcast though.

As I drive to and from work each day past about 100,000 acres of cotton fields, I wonder if he really is trying to "make" a difference on some of his agenda items, or trying to "look" like he is making a difference.

Having 650 farmers in India growing 1 to 2 acre fields of low impact cotton isn't going to provide enough cotton to make one run of one style or size of socks.

Some of the cotton farms I drive by actually use wheat as a cover crop and plant the cotton into the wheat stubble. Some use underground drip irrigation systems that cost hundreds of thousands of dollars to install but save hundreds of thousands of gallons of water each year. Lots have trimmed the number of machines needed to harvest the cotton from 3 or 4 tractors and machines to just 1 so the amount of fuel used is way less. Seems that there are some real steps that could be made in sustainable farming of cotton if a company like Patagonia would get behind some of these type of practices and encourage them instead of a few farmers in India farming 1 or 2 acres of cotton each.

That wouldn't work near as well as an agenda item or a talking point on a podcast though.
While your point is certainly valid, the same things you're saying about his approach in India could apply to the first guy that went with drip irrigation for cotton. One farm isn't much, but everything has to start somewhere, and start small.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back