Caribou Gear

Yvon Chouinard on Meateater Podcast

I don't agree with some of his talking points but it was a good listen.

When he was slamming governor Mead, I was thinking the same thing.
Then when he was talking about his kid pushing wild hogs out in the ocean and killing them with a knife because a spear wasn’t enough of a challenge, I thought: I bet nobody agrees with everything he says, especially the left PataG base

Definitely interesting, and old hunter and trapper not at all what I thought he'd be like after hearing all the criticisms of Patagonia as anti hunting. He was admittedly hypocritical. No one has to agree with everything, he was a bit of a dick talking about Wyoming. He did seem like a very interesting guy who has a lot to teach. I'd imagine at this point Patagonia is more it's own entity than being just his company with his views. I certainly dont think Patagonia would endorse gopher torching.

I met him 1st in '67 in Yosemite. Would bump into him again over the years. Ran into him deer hunting once many years later. Both of us were hunting.
Always interesting conversations, to say the least. Very diverse guy. Not a wuss.

I think I'd likely get along with him. A bit ironic that he doesn't like being told what to do, and feels as if he doesn't like telling people what to do. He did show a tendency most on this board should be familiar with when talking about Mead, in that he couldn't find a way to give him credit for the good he did on account of the aspects of him that he disagreed with. Seems that might be a common human failing...

I think I'd likely get along with him. A bit ironic that he doesn't like being told what to do, and feels as if he doesn't like telling people what to do. He did show a tendency most on this board should be familiar with when talking about Mead, in that he couldn't find a way to give him credit for the good he did on account of the aspects of him that he disagreed with. Seems that might be a common human failing...

yah

if you rearrange what he said about wyoming, or mead, to what i assume most of us would say about, say, california, and it comes off the same way - narrow minded. we're ALL narrowminded a-holes to someone cause of our opinions.

climate change matters most to him, and that's fine.

i've always been fascinated with him, mostly in a positive way. and i really don't think he is the antithesis to hunting that he is so often made out to be. that said, i have always been leery of the power of his words and the type of people that are his legion of loyal followers.

Last edited:
I'm only to the half hour mark but like it a lot so far. Guy doesn't like sport climbing and bolts. The polycentric hex, aluminum biners, and curved pick ice ax combined with a clean climbing mentality changed climbing. He used to let a fishing buddy of his sell clothes real cheap on the other side of Teton pass and I met him once while pawing through the shelves. I used to cut the labels off too. It's a shame the name Patagonia has become shorthand for a certain kind of entitlement.

The thing he talked about that spoke to me was when he briefly mentioned doing climbs to test yourself. I've always gravitated towards things that do that. I like hard to get to places, and plan trips that will physically challenge me on purpose. I get a lot of what he expresses, even if I'm not sold on some of his stances.

Just finished and I have a lot of the same impressions. I love how he is not afraid of basically anything, although he does come across as a pretentious ahole. I would really like to meet him and grab lunch.

He sure knows how to sell his products to his faithful minions...
I believe Sierra club comments they're for public lands and support hunting... Next speaker for the 2020 beer bather club? 😆

Like probably anybody with a $1.2 Billion net worth :LOL:

Most wealthy people
The thing he talked about that spoke to me was when he briefly mentioned doing climbs to test yourself. I've always gravitated towards things that do that. I like hard to get to places, and plan trips that will physically challenge me on purpose. I get a lot of what he expresses, even if I'm not sold on some of his stances.

I had similar thoughts, kinda why I sometimes choose to hunt in an unnecessary difficult manner or gravitate to certain hunts. Like pronghorn hunting only really appeals to me if I make it physically challenging. I would probably feel less stoked about shooting an 85 inch but from the truck than a piker that I had to work my butt off for.

Or how to save wolves from extinction... Better yet, the griz from the evil trophy hunters. We agree, Wllm. :)

I enjoyed the episode. Yvon seemed like he had a lot of awesome life experience. He did also seem to think that everyone that doesn't agree with him is stupid or evil but after a bit of reflection I decided that attitude is par for the course these days. Kinda sad really.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back