Youth applications

Addicting

This is my first year both my kids are eligible and want to go. As a NR managing my schedule is easy. Managing theirs, Schools and my Wife’s schedule to make sure there will be minimal conflict is taxing.

3 hunters applying across 3 states in Random Draws is like playing Russian Roulette.

I know I don’t have to but with the price discount on Youth applications it’s almost better if I don’t apply for myself.

For those of you that been down this road what did you do?

know I don’t have to but with the price discount on Youth applications it’s almost better if I don’t apply for myself.
Following. Thought about this as well. Wyoming for example what's better youth discount or being able to average my points. Tough call.

I’m in a little bit of a different situation, since I will be hunting MT as a resident. My plan is to either apply for the same tag as my son or to put him in and not apply for anything myself.

I know I don’t have to but with the price discount on Youth applications it’s almost better if I don’t apply for myself.
Wouldn't be a bad idea if you're looking to maybe accumulate some points.

I’m in a little bit of a different situation, since I will be hunting MT as a resident. My plan is to either apply for the same tag as my son or to put him in and not apply for anything myself.
That is one option I have considered. The issue is they are all full priced tags then. The AZ youth hunts are in a separate season that would require two separate trips.

In WY we are just going to do type 6 cow tags so that one is significantly easier and more flexible.

I haven’t even look at CO dates yet.

If I’m taking my boys, I just focus on their tags and do not try to party app and get a tag for myself. There are so many good youth opportunities out there that your biggest limiting factor will be their time. Between half-price guaranteed combo licenses in MT, discount tags in WY, discount and youth set-asides in CO, youth tags in NM and AZ… there is a lot to choose from. Good luck. It’s a fun time.

I’ve found that kids aren’t very picky, so I try to focus on places where I’m confident they’ll see a lot of game and we will have fun. It’s been a very rewarding process for me as their dad.

The nonresident Young boys on publicly-accessible ground…
photo nov 20 2022, 5 27 15 pm.jpegphoto nov 20 2023, 8 04 18 am.jpegphoto oct 19 2023, 6 22 38 pm.jpeg

Last edited:
Wouldn't be a bad idea if you're looking to maybe accumulate some points.
Agree, my goal has been to kill a 6 point bull. In 8 seasons I have killed 3 bulls and several cows. Still haven’t had a good opportunity to meet the goal.

If I put it all in on the kids we will have a great time if they draw. But that will just prolong my goal as the kids are just starting. Will I still be able to if I push my goal for another 7-8 years. My body has a lot of miles on it in harsh conditions.

Those thoughts are what has caused analysis paralysis when getting ready to apply.

I do not have kids but I have three people that I help with their kids. I give them all the same advice and 2/3 actually listen while the other complains and regrets what he did.

The advice has two parts.

First, you can't skip out on the random draws as long as you can afford the cost to play. This is for both you and all your kids that want to go. Shoot for the moon for yourself that way if you do indeed draw, it will be worth going and your kids will enjoy experiencing a top quality hunt even if they aren't pulling the trigger.

Second, in states where points can be built up, go in yourself for points but apply for your kids for hunts - especially the ones that are youth only.

Agree, my goal has been to kill a 6 point bull. In 8 seasons I have killed 3 bulls and several cows. Still haven’t had a good opportunity to meet the goal.

If I put it all in on the kids we will have a great time if they draw. But that will just prolong my goal as the kids are just starting. Will I still be able to if I push my goal for another 7-8 years. My body has a lot of miles on it in harsh conditions.

Those thoughts are what has caused analysis paralysis when getting ready to apply.
This dilemma is the same one I will be faced with. I’ve had a lot of success over my hunting career getting elk, but I’ve only ever been on one true quality hunt and I want to go on more while I can still get around. I’ve missed out on pursuing opportunities in other than my home state due to my military obligations and aspire to hunt in other states.

My kids will be eligible to begin hunting their own tags in three years when I will be 45 years old. In the meantime, my dad is approaching his final few years where he can even go so I don’t want to miss out on the opportunity to go with him.

I think the likely scenario is that I won’t be able to truly pursue my goals in multiple states until the kids are grown and I’m 51 years old. Hopefully my health holds out to still be able to go on the types of hunts I’m dreaming about.

With just one kid it makes it much easier. I've mainly been applying for home run type hunts that if he draws it will be an amazing hunt and accumulating points for him. I'm one of those guys that never just buys a point if there is a random pool that gives at least some chance of drawing.

He never was interested in the cow elk youth tags but there are several states that have them as youth tags and are reasonably easy to draw. Don't overlook the Utah Youth Elk tag as the youth get to hunt that tag a week or two before the rest of the folks.

I rarely party app with him as I think it would be difficult to try to fill 2 tags on most of the hunts and my theory is that we have twice the odds of at least one of us drawing if we apply separate.

I probably enjoy hunting more when my son is the one with the tag than when I am the one with the tag.

He never was interested in the cow elk youth tags but there are several states that have them as youth tags and are reasonably easy to draw.
That is one part of the problem, they both want to shoot a cow as that is what we mainly do. The odds of them drawing are good enough that I have to apply around those dates with other apps.

I'm not positive I understand your question, but assuming I do, it depends on the tag: If I'm putting in for an elk tag for my sons, I do not apply for a tag myself. When I've done antelope drawings for them, I will sometimes throw in a doe tag app for myself, etc. It just depends on how difficult I think the tag will be to fill. I want 95% of the focus on them during the trip and I don't completely trust myself to not let my drive to hunt get in the way of a great time for them; 'Oh, let's just check out what's on the other side of that ridge... Yeah, I know you're cold, but the hike will warm you up...'

Last time I did it, my son had an antelope buck tag and a cow elk tag and all I had was a one-day fishing license, but I still managed to catch my personal best rainbow trout the day before we flew out! (Right after he caught his first and biggest).

IMG_5919.jpg

This is my first year both my kids are eligible and want to go. As a NR managing my schedule is easy. Managing theirs, Schools and my Wife’s schedule to make sure there will be minimal conflict is taxing.

3 hunters applying across 3 states in Random Draws is like playing Russian Roulette.

For those of you that been down this road what did you do?

Here's my $0.02 from this year’s experience and my next year's plan. I live in Ohio and my son turned 12 this past fall I prioritized field time over opportunity and chose to go with a reduced-price youth cow tag in Wyoming at just $100. You're 100% right that managing the schedule is a challenge so I viewed this year as a vacation with my son and time in the mountains with the slight chance at a cow opportunity. I did have to remind myself quite a few times that this trip was about him and his experience and not necessarily traveling or hunting at my pace which was hard. But it paid off and just to say we had an amazing time is an understatement of the year.

This year’s experience shifted my focus on next year's plans to pure hunting opportunity focused on my son exclusively. I'm not going to burn up my points in a group application with him. Instead with last year's purchased preference point in Wyoming, he should be guaranteed a general deer tag and I might pick up a lion tag just so I can carry a weapon and you never know. In another few years when he can go a little harder, I might party apply for some primo speed goat units in Wyoming but we will see what he wants to do.

I will probably forgo applying to New Mexico’s generous and coveted youth-only tags because we can only afford one trip per year. Again my $0.02 is to focus on my son's hunting opportunity instead of mine for the next couple of years. If somehow, we knock a deer down on day two of the hunt, we don't need to worry about trying to find a second one we can enjoy the rest of our time sightseeing and head home.

Best of luck! You will never forget their first trip out with you!
Hunter in the wild.jpg

Here's my $0.02 from this year’s experience and my next year's plan. I live in Ohio and my son turned 12 this past fall I prioritized field time over opportunity and chose to go with a reduced-price youth cow tag in Wyoming at just $100. You're 100% right that managing the schedule is a challenge so I viewed this year as a vacation with my son and time in the mountains with the slight chance at a cow opportunity. I did have to remind myself quite a few times that this trip was about him and his experience and not necessarily traveling or hunting at my pace which was hard. But it paid off and just to say we had an amazing time is an understatement of the year.

This year’s experience shifted my focus on next year's plans to pure hunting opportunity focused on my son exclusively. I'm not going to burn up my points in a group application with him. Instead with last year's purchased preference point in Wyoming, he should be guaranteed a general deer tag and I might pick up a lion tag just so I can carry a weapon and you never know. In another few years when he can go a little harder, I might party apply for some primo speed goat units in Wyoming but we will see what he wants to do.

I will probably forgo applying to New Mexico’s generous and coveted youth-only tags because we can only afford one trip per year. Again my $0.02 is to focus on my son's hunting opportunity instead of mine for the next couple of years. If somehow, we knock a deer down on day two of the hunt, we don't need to worry about trying to find a second one we can enjoy the rest of our time sightseeing and head home.

Best of luck! You will never forget their first trip out with you!
View attachment 312555
I applied for WY cow tags as well for this year. AZ is where I struggled. One kid has enough points to likely draw a youth only cow tag.

My other kid I threw in the same application strategy but it is his first year.

I need to apply to keep my loyalty point and see no sense in bonus point only in their system.

So essentially we have 6 lotto tickets in the system for different tags. This is one of those years I am kinda fretting draw day.

I applied for WY cow tags as well for this year. AZ is where I struggled. One kid has enough points to likely draw a youth only cow tag.

My other kid I threw in the same application strategy but it is his first year.

I need to apply to keep my loyalty point and see no sense in bonus point only in their system.

So essentially we have 6 lotto tickets in the system for different tags. This is one of those years I am kinda fretting draw day.
AZ is 1 I have never played in. Not sure if it's too late to start but I might look again. Good Luck!!

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avidsomething
Back