Caribou Gear

Your favorite meat, method and seasoning

2rocky

If it was your turn to feed a group, what would you choose and how would you do it?

I think I could do a good job on TriTips on the grill covered in Pappy's Seasoning to form a crust and then wrapped in foil to come up to 125 or so.

For a group setting?

Ground elk or 'lope:

Tacos, burritos, taco salad, tostada's. Gives the "group" a sense of variety with basically the same food.

I love the taste of ground elk. A few spice flavors of ground for variety and it's off to the mini smorgasbord / banquet.

Now I'm hungry... Elk omlete w/ rosemary and... Hmmm, feta?

Not

Leg of lamb stuffed with garlic and onion on a broiler pan in the oven. I season with rosemary garlic salt onion powder black pepper and Worcester sauce. I leave the broiler about half full of water at all times at the end I make a great gravy with the drippings.

For wild game, it's actually Bighorn Sheep and antelope. In Texas I had zebra at a ranch which was pretty good too.

Wildgame- back Strap, marinated, stuffed with cream cheese, wrapped in bacon, cooked medium, then cut into bites.

Domestic- ribs, no doubt. Rubbed the day before, smoked until falling off the bone. Got em on the grill now.

I did a whole deboned elk shank for the company Christmas party last year and it was a big hit. Rubbed in Spade L steak seasoning. Onion, garlic. Cooked 8 hours in a Dutch oven covered most of the way in stock with a half bottle of Scotch ale. Delicious.

Chicken fried, plenty of garlic in crust and put it on taters with some gravy. Make it in camp: pre beat up meat and bring breading in ziplock and just use those red bag instant taters witha jar of gravy

Domestic- pork butt. So easy.
Game- Brookies on the smoker. Or. Seared game steaks with potatoes and asparagus or salad. Always a good way to show people that wild game is actually delicious.

To feed a group simply, Moose is for dinner. Ground for tacos with all the fixings, maybe chili, spaghetti, or straight up moose burgers!
Pork goes down often as carnitas, or verde, or smoked ribs.
Smoked Brisket, is always a crowd pleaser

I like experimenting with my grilling. I've been doing all kinds of different rib techniques to get that falling off the bone goodness with little luck. Boiling them first, smoking them for hours. finishing them covered in a pan with beer. Well all these trad methods were not satisfactory and time consuming. I'm ole school charcoal and wood chunks not pellets, but don't get me wrong, those Pit Boss grills are awesome. This Independence Day the whole fam came round so ribs right? I found the 2-1-1 method a few days prior and probably will stick with that even tho I screwed it up. I ran short on time and had to throw the ribs on to smoke before the charcoal had burned down nicely. The temp is supposed to be a steady 225" for 2 hours. I was battling it at 250 ++ for an hour. Once the hour passed temp dropped right to 225". Huh. After that all you have to do is throw a few briqs into the smoker box to keep it humming along with a few other chunks for smoke. Anyway once the 2 hours smoken is over you wrap them up tight in foil and back on for another hour to 1.5 while still at 225". I left em steaming for 1.5, then opened the foil and slathered with BBQ sauce then back on for another 30-40 mins. Oh yeah Baby Backs; fallen off da bone goodness. Smoke rind went all the way to the bone too. Ribs were on sale 50% off. Cant go wrong with chicken thighs and legs to feed a crowd either. Cheaper too.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back