Your Favorite Hand-Me-Down

Great thread Rocky!

From wedding rings to awesome rifles! Pretty cool. The history of it, where it's been, the nostalgic factor I suppose.

I have my uncle's ceremonial flag from being killed in action, Vietnam. My grandmother passed his medals and some letters they exchanged. That's about it.

Well, I do have a Marlin 22 bolt action passed down from my other uncle. It's been scraped up, bruised, and battered and shoots just as dialed in as iron sights could ever give! My favorite go to gun for off the front porch.

Pretty bad ass! Nothing fancy that's certain! But the memories shared plinking this and that with him back then That's worth some fancy. And to think I've not seen him in some 40 years...

IMG_20200625_074152.jpg

I've got my dads rem.722 .300sav I rarely hunt with a rifle but when I do, that's the gun I use.
I've got his old hunting knife. I don't use it but I love having it.
And I have all his old outdoor books in a bookshelf/gunrack he built. Not the best wood working but I can't imagine a better one.

After my grandmother went into the nursing home with alzheimer’s, my mom and I went through a lot of her things. Found a lot of photos we never knew existed. We found this photo. I asked to keep the original, and made copies for my mom and uncles. Grampi died before I was born but I always thought a lot of him. I carry his name, and Maw always said I reminded her of him because I was just like him when it came to the outdoors.

In this photo of him as a young man is broad shouldered and built of a hard worker. This was the first boat purchased by New Orleans Shrimp Company, which he later became the VP and part owner of.
187E0232-A76F-4B44-BB6E-3540789004B0.jpeg
In addition I have inherited my grandmother’s house. I wish she could see all the improvements I’ve made. Before the house, I was given a large magnalite roaster and a large cast iron pot. Everyone knew Maw for her cooking. Grampi would throw big parties for family, customers, friends, or whoever showed up, and she would handle everything in the kitchen. No telling how many meals have been cooked in those pots, and that big cast iron in the oven now with a beef shank.
B5A028FA-EFAC-45AD-B376-F758AC0B3CD9.jpeg

When I started deer hunting at twelve years old, my dad bought an old pump action rifle for me to use. When we tried to sight it in, we discovered that the scope mounting holes were not straight and we couldn't get it on target. We didn't have the money to get it repaired before deer season, so my grampa loaned me an old Parker Hale 30-06. I got my first buck in my second season hunting with that rifle, and grampa told me the gun was mine. I've taken quite a few deer with that rifle. Years later, he gave me an m1 Garand. These two guns will stay with me and I'll pass them on to my kids some day. My other grampa passed away about five years ago. I got his buck knife, and his green military duffel with his name printed on it. I've gutted a few deer with the knife, and am trying to think of a good way to display the bag.IMG_20190817_132511424.jpgIMG_20190817_131715570.jpg

I was fortunate enough to be able to buy the family farm when my grandmothers sister passed away 30+ years ago, which to me is far more special than any object. My great grandfather owned a tavern in town and got shut down by prohibition, so he bought the farm and moved out here. Great grand parents lived here, grand parents and great aunt lived here, now we do. Hopefully one of our kids will hang onto it when our time is over.

I do have my grandfathers Remington .22 octagonal barrel, hammerless, pump squirrel rifle that is pretty neat and a whole lot of very cool photos.

Great Uncle Bert's bed, He made in 1880's. I sleep in it.
Grandpa Joseph's Navy Watch Cap,1910 USS Tennasee ,Great White Fleet.
Grandpa Oliver's Army Doughboy Campaign hat. 1918.
Dad's Midshipmen Cap, 1943 he wore when the Emily Blunt was sunk by U-boat. I still wear his wool sweaters & shirts hunting & fishing.
Uncle Paul's Uncle Henry folding knife. I start every game field dressing with it still.
Mom's skillet & a wooden spoon she may or may not have used on me.

That last one got me cryin

Like many of you, I was blessed to have amazing parents...and I am so thankful. When my Dad passed away, I received many of his guns - some that he and I shared many hunting memories alongside. Though I cherish the firearms, the one item that always gives me a special feeling of closeness to him is a pullover green forester's jacket (with blaze orange shoulder caps) that he and my Mom bought while on a trip to Norway. He wore it often and I could tell it was partly due to it's Scandinavian origin that it was especially meaningful to him. Like him, I now wear it often in the spring and fall while out hiking and hunting. Each time I put it on, it carries with it the legacy of a truly great Dad.

Last edited:
My dad is still alive but gave me all his guns some years ago. My favorite has to be his 1916 production Winchester 1894 in .30-30. The Cody Museum says its a rare "Eastern Carbine" edition.
He got it as payment for a tile job in the 1950's from the original owner, a working cowboy named Joe Theile. Joe was the F.I.L. of my dad's oldest brother.
Cowboy Joe had carried it in a saddle scabbard for most of the first half of the 20th century. I have the scabbard, too.

My favorite hand-me-downs are from my grandpa Roy. He left home when he was 12, bounced around for a while, then ended up in the CCC when he was thirteen. Then he joined the Navy in '42, grandpa told me one time the only good thing his dad ever did for him was to lie on some paperwork grandpa needed to join. He was 16 years old, and dropped smack dab into WW2. I have his footlocker, dress blues, metals, and the Arisaka 99 he brought back from Tarawa. I also have a studio photo of him in uniform and it's framed with a photo of me wearing the same uniform when I was 16.

Anybody want to guess what my kid will have to try on when he's sixteen?

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tzog
Back