You had me at "Accommodation to use crossbow"

Pappy if I am reading your posts right are you not able to hold the bow out in front of yourself and aim it with your bow holding arm? I think most guys have problems with the drawing arm shoulder. Just trying to understand
I'm able to hold a crossbow like a rifle (think tricep tucked against you) w/ the support of a monopod like device (going from the end away from me of my crossbow to my hip). I'm unable to have my arm extended and support the weight of a compound bow, nor be able to draw it back. I use a draw cranking system on my crossbow (Acudraw) as I'm not able to pull that back either.

SMFH. Rules for thee but not for me.

You poor guys from Montana are really fighting an uphill BS battle up there in the last several years.

A line has to be drawn in the sand somewhere. Continued iterations of small concessions here and there and the next thing you know we are allowing rifles during archery season.

You may hunt deer with a crossbow from Sept 4th through Jan 15th and hunt elk with a crossbow from Sept 4th through Feb 15th (absolutely during the archery season) in the large Weapons Restricted Area HD 309. You have similar crossbow hunting opportunity in other WRA's.

Quit whining!
Real nice.... Where are you getting this information from? I'm looking at 309 in GoHunt and there's zero mention of an archery season in this unit like in other units. The only thing I see is Rifle - General from 10/23-11/28. This is the first time I've seen any mention of a WRA (I don't live in MT and have never heard of it). I even did a search for "weapons restricted area" in GoHunt and there's 0 results. I even called Montana FWP and asked about crossbows during archery season and nobody ever mentioned WRA.

Last edited:
A line has to be drawn in the sand somewhere. Continued iterations of small concessions here and there and the next thing you know we are allowing rifles during archery season.
The max range on my crossbow is less than what many folks shoot with their compound bows, so I'm not sure what your point is.

Real nice.... Where are you getting this information from? I'm looking at 309 in GoHunt and there's zero mention of an archery season in this unit like in other units. The only thing I see is Rifle - General from 10/23-11/28. This is the first time I've seen any mention of a WRA (I don't live in MT and have never heard of it). I even did a search for "weapons restricted area" in GoHunt and there's 0 results.
it's in the regulations...GoHunt is terrible source for specific information. You need to look at the official regulations not GoHunt. He's talking about what is official called by FWP as the Sourdough Weapons Restricted Area but there are hundreds of restricted areas around the state that may only have a sign at the fence.

Real nice.... Where are you getting this information from? I'm looking at 309 in GoHunt and there's zero mention of an archery season in this unit like in other units. The only thing I see is Rifle - General from 10/23-11/28. This is the first time I've seen any mention of a WRA (I don't live in MT and have never heard of it). I even did a search for "weapons restricted area" in GoHunt and there's 0 results.
I pulled that information right from the Montana FWP website. The definition of Weapons Restricted Area is in the general deer and elk regulations. The information about HD 309 is seen by bringing that HD up in Hunt Planning. Since you may use a traditional bow, compound bow, crossbow, pistol, shotgun (with slugs) or muzzleloader in the WRA's there is no specific "archery season" for WRA's. You can use archery equipment throughout all the WRA seasons. The point is that opportunities for using crossbows are many and extend for many months, certainly during the archery season dates. BTW, most of the WRA's are in lower valley areas, many of which are now habitat for a lot of deer and elk.

It's a huge Hunting District.

HD 309: Gallatin Valley Weapons Restriction Area​

That portion of Gallatin county beginning at the intersection of Cottonwood Road and Enders Road, continuing southeast from that intersection along Cottonwood Road, north to South 19th, then east on South 19th to Nash Road, then east on Nash Road to Sourdough Canyon Road, then south on Sourdough Canyon Road, to the national forest boundary, then east along said boundary to boundary of State Lands Sections 4, 3, 34, 35 and 1 to Bear Canyon Road, then northerly on Bear Canyon Road to the Bear Canyon Interchange with Interstate 90, then northerly to Rocky Creek, northwesterly along Rocky Creek to L Street, then north on L Street to Story Mill Road, then north on Story Mill Road to Deer Creek Drive, northeast on Deer Creek Drive to Lookfar Way, north on Lookfar Way to Rolling Hills Drive, north on Rolling Hills Drive to Sypes Canyon Road, northwesterly on Sypes Canyon Road to Summer Cuttoff Road, then Saddle Mountain Road, then east on Saddle Mountain Road to Bostwick Road, then north along Bostwick Road to Baseline East Road, then west on Baseline East Road to Walker Road, then north on Walker Road to Penwell Bridge Road, then west on Penwell Bridge Road to Wes Davis Road, then north and west on Wes Davis Road to Hamilton Road, then west and south on Hamilton Road to its intersection with Weaver Road at Highway 290, then west on Weaver Road to Highway 10, then northwesterly on Highway 10 to Heeb Road, then south on Heeb Road to Amsterdam Road, east on Amsterdan Road, to Linney Road, south on Linney Road to Cameron Bridge Road, then east on Cameron Bridge Road to River Road, then south on River Road to Highway 84, then east on Highway 84 to Shedds Bridge, then south up western most channel of the Gallatin River to Gallatin Gateway Bridge, then east on Gallatin Gateway Road to US Highway 191, then south on US Highway 191 to Cottonwood Road, to point of beginning. NOTE: Sourdough Exclusion Zone from SWRA within HD 309: Beginning at the intersection of Nash and Sourdough Canyon Road, then south on Sourdough Canyon Road to the USFS boundary, then east, north and east along said boundary in Section 8, then along said boundary in Section 8 to the intersection with State Lands in Section 9, then north along the section line of Sections 4 and 5, then west along section line of Sections 5 and 32 to the intersection with Sourdough Road, then south on Sourdough Road, then west on Nash Road, the point of beginning.

HD 309 crossbow hunting opportunity from Sept to mid Feb, with both general elk license and also elk B license.​

HUNTING DISTRICT REGULATIONS​

GENERAL ELK LICENSE.​

Season DatesDescription
Sep 04 – Nov 28Either-sex Elk. General Season
Nov 29 – Feb 15Antlerless Elk. Special season.

ELK B LICENSE. PURCHASE BEGINNING AUGUST 12.​

Season DatesDescription
License/Permit Type: 397-00Unlim License
Aug 15 – Sep 03Antlerless Elk. Special season. Only valid on private land. One per hunter. Valid in HDs 309, 311 (North of HWY 84 only), and 312.
Sep 04 – Nov 28Antlerless Elk. Special season. Not valid on National Forest Lands. One per hunter. Valid in HDs 309, 311 and 312.
Nov 29 – Feb 15Antlerless Elk. Special season. Not valid on National Forest Lands. One per hunter. Valid in HDs 309, 311 (North of HWY 84 only), and 312.

I saw a video the other day showing a 90% let off compound literally holding itself back. Is this possible?

Asking for a friend.

I pulled that information right from the Montana FWP website. The definition of Weapons Restricted Area is in the general deer and elk regulations. The information about HD 309 is seen by bringing that HD up in Hunt Planning. Since you may use a traditional bow, compound bow, crossbow, pistol, shotgun (with slugs) or muzzleloader in the WRA's there is no specific "archery season" for WRA's. You can use archery equipment throughout all the WRA seasons. The point is that opportunities for using crossbows are many and extend for many months, certainly during the archery season dates. BTW, most of the WRA's are in lower valley areas, many of which are now habitat for a lot of deer and elk.
Thanks for all the info!!! I would have thought the person I spoke with when I called the office would have mentioned it when I asked... I appreciate the insight!

Thanks for all the info!!! I would have thought the person I spoke with when I called the office would have mentioned it when I asked... I appreciate the insight!
You are very welcome. BTW, I have been trying to figure out how to access information from the Montana FWP regulations ever since I earned my Hunter's Education certificate August of 1957 and it seems to get more difficult for this luddite every year, even with the website. The titles of various segments don't often take me to the information I thought was there from the title. So hang in there as you access the FWP website and search for helpful information ... it's there somewhere; you just have to find it!:confused:

The max range on my crossbow is less than what many folks shoot with their compound bows, so I'm not sure what your point is.
It doesn't matter what your range is. Picture this scenario. We decide your right and say it's not so bad for disabled people to use crossbows. A year goes by and the next guys says well I can't hold the crossbow steady enough to shoot a deer so I think my designated helper should be able to help me steady the weapon. This again is only a minor change to the rules so people decide that it is okay. A little later the next guys says even with his helper steadying the weapon he still is physically capable enough to make a good shot so he proposes that the helper be allowed to aim while he pulls the trigger. Another minor change to the rules currently in place so the rules get amended and it is okay. Next concession to come along is that the helper is allowed to control, aim and fire the weapon. My point is again that a line has to be drawn. It's not discrimination that some things require a certain level of physical ability and that it is the hard bricks of life that some are unfortunately excluded. Should we open wilderness trails to motorized travel for those unable to access them via the current rules?

In CA there is a "disabled archer permit" which allows crossbows during archery seasons and much more enticing, limited entry archery only tags. Due to ADA restrictions, there is no enforcement or questioning of who qualifies as "disabled" to obtain the permit. All it takes is a doctor's note. This well intentioned regulation has been and continues to be abused to obtain highly desired deer tags.
It's not discrimination that some things require a certain level of physical ability and that it is the hard bricks of life that some are unfortunately excluded. Should we open wilderness trails to motorized travel for those unable to access them via the current rules?
I agree with Buckrut and have used this example in conversations. It is not as if there is only archery season available. If you can't shoot a bow or just choose not to, then wait for general season like the majority of the population.

I don’t have near the heartburn that many do about crossbows. There are guys shooting compounds 100+ yards
So im not convinced that a crossbow is going to have that much more of an impact. The “primitive” part of bow hunting is gone with current compounds….I’m not sure that a crossbow is more of an advantage.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back