FWP’S BIENNIAL HUNTING SEASON-SETTING PROCESS BEGINS IN JUNE

mtnkid85

They are coming up quick! In my experience, it is not uncommon that there are more agency staff attending than hunters. Tell your friends, get em involved. I hear the EMP is coming down the pike in the next month too

FWP’s biennial hunting season-setting process begins in June

HELENA – Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks will kick off the biennial hunting season-setting process earlier to allow for more public engagement and greater transparency. Public involvement will begin in June and end in November. In the past, public involvement happened primarily in December and January.
FWP will conduct scoping meetings around the state from June 15 to July 15. FWP staff will look to hunters to provide broad input on regulation changes they’d like to see. Staff will also look for feedback on a few specific proposals.
These scoping meetings are more formal than in past years and will replace the public meetings FWP used to hold to present and discuss tentative regulations. However, these scoping meetings are not the same as public comment meetings. FWP staff will listen at the scoping meetings and capture the general themes and then use the information to develop draft regulations, which will be released for public comment in October. FWP will hold additional public meetings in early November to answer questions about the draft regulation proposals. Comment on the draft regulation proposals will be collected through the FWP website during the fall public commenting period. The final decision on regulations will come at the December Fish and Wildlife Commission meeting.
Hunting regulation changes are done every other year. This new process will give the public a better understanding of where regulation changes are coming from, how FWP is engaging the public, and what changes are being suggested by individual commissioners.
The earlier start to the process will also result in the availability of hunting regulations at the beginning of the license year – March 1.
Scoping meeting schedule:
Region 1
  • Thompson Falls, June 27, 6 p.m., Thompson Falls High School (601 Golf St.)
  • Eureka, June 28, 6 p.m., Timbers Lodge (101 Julian Dr.)
  • Kalispell, June 29, 6 p.m., FWP Region 1 Office, with a virtual option (490 N. Meridian Rd.)
  • Libby, July 6, 6 p.m., KW Maki Theater (724 Louisiana Ave.)
Region 2
  • Philipsburg, June 15, 6 p.m., Granite County Museum (135 S. Sansome St.)
  • Deer Lodge, June 19, 6 p.m., Powell County Community Center (416 Cottonwood Ave)
  • Anaconda, June 20, 6 p.m., Metcalf Senior Center (115 Pennsylvania)
  • Drummond, June 21, 6 p.m., Drummond Community Center (52 East Broad St.)
  • Superior, June 26, 6 p.m., Superior High School Multi-purpose room (410 Arizona Ave.)
  • Missoula, June 27, 6 p.m., FWP Region 2 Conference Room, with a virtual option (3201 Spurgin Rd.)
  • Ovando, June 28, 6 p.m., Ovando School Gym (108 Birch St.)
  • Lincoln, July 11, 6 p.m., Lincoln Community Hall (404 Main St.)
  • Hamilton, July 12, 6 p.m., Bitterroot River Inn (139 Bitterroot Plaza Dr)
  • Seeley Lake, July 13, 6 p.m., Seeley Lake Community Foundation (3150 MT-83)
Region 3
  • Whitehall, June 19, 6 p.m., Community Center (11 N Division St.)
  • Bozeman, June 20, 6 p.m., FWP large conference room, with a virtual option (1400 S. 19th Ave.)
  • Helena, June 21, 6 p.m., Montana WILD (2668 Broadwater Ave.)
  • Butte, June 21, 6 p.m., FWP’s Butte Area Resource Office (1820 Meadowlark Lane)
  • Dillon, June 22, 6 p.m., SAR building (1000 Hwy. 41)
  • Livingston, June 27, 6 p.m., Livingston Civic Center (229 River Dr.)
Region 4
  • Augusta, June 15, 7 p.m., Youth Center (132 Main St.) Great Falls, June 20, 7 p.m., FWP Region 4 Headquarters, with a virtual option (4600 Giant Springs Rd.)
  • Conrad, June 22, 7 p.m., Pondera Shooting Sports Complex (972 Granite Rd.) Lewistown, June 26, 7 p.m., Yogo Inn (211 E Main St.)
  • Stanford, June 28, 7 p.m., Stanford City Hall (102 Central Ave)
Region 5
  • Billings, June 21, 6 p.m., FWP Region 5 Public Meeting Room, with virtual option (2300 Lake Elmo Dr.)
  • Roundup, June 22, 6 p.m., Musselshell County Senior Center (610 2nd St. W)
  • Big Timber, June 29, 5:30 p.m., Big Timber Carnegie Library (314 McLeod St.)
Region 6
  • Malta, June 20, 6 p.m., Malta High School Cafeteria (1 South 9th St. W)
  • Havre, June 22, 6 p.m., Best Western Great Northern Inn (1345 1st St.)
  • Plentywood, June 27, 6 p.m., Sheridan County Library Jubilee Room (100 W Laurel Ave.)
  • Glasgow, June 29, 6 p.m., Cottonwood Inn, with a virtual option (54250 U.S. Hwy 2)
Region 7
  • Miles City, July 6, 6 p.m., FWP Region 7 Office, with a virtual option (352 I-94 Business Loop)
  • Glendive, July 11, 6 p.m., Dawson Community College (room to be determined)

Comments are due Friday.

There are some big changes being proposed for mule deer hunting, adding an archery season for Moose & Goat, and a whole lot more.

Get yer comments in, or you don't get to complain with any kind of authority once the decisions are made.

Comments are due Friday.

There are some big changes being proposed for mule deer hunting, adding an archery season for Moose & Goat, and a whole lot more.

Get yer comments in, or you don't get to complain with any kind of authority once the decisions are made.
Comments submitted. The statewide proposals regarding mule deer hunting are certainly a step in the right direction.

I attended the glendive meeting last night they said there have been very few comments submitted so far.
If they added a line item that said “Get rid of 50% of the NR licenses and double the price of the other 50%” there would be a lot more comments for sure.

I submitted comments, even though you have told me to mind my own business. I like a lot of the ideas. Some change (hell, any) is better than none.
#keephammerin

How did it go?
Not many maybe 5 including me. “Mule deer are in great shape. We have been here before.” I showed up a little late and had to beat my way in because all the doors were locked. I think we are mainly screwed. But get your comments in all you can do.

How did it go?
To say it nicely I’m not sure there is a game agency that is more out of touch to what is happening on the ground than Montana. Add moose tags because of the phone survey sightings? This is why they ask and if you want more moose tags say you saw 200 when they ask you.

Not many maybe 5 including me. “Mule deer are in great shape. We have been here before.” I showed up a little late and had to beat my way in because all the doors were locked. I think we are mainly screwed. But get your comments in all you can do.
Was on call for both meetings so couldn’t attend but sounds about like every other fwp meeting so I don’t think I missed much and saved some fuel money.

If they added a line item that said “Get rid of 50% of the NR licenses and double the price of the other 50%” there would be a lot more comments for sure.

I submitted comments, even though you have told me to mind my own business. I like a lot of the ideas. Some change (hell, any) is better than none.
#keephammerin
I’ve never considered using the ignore button because I like most peoples bullshit. Yet here I am…

Comments are due tomorrow!

What are some comments I should include in mine? I don't have much, and admit I am suffering from "comment fatigue".

Region 3:
-I am strongly opposed to creating a liberal either-sex mule deer season in a newly created portion of 335, north of Lump Gulch Road. I grew up on flank of Sheep Mtn north of Clancy, and the mule deer situation there is not good. The yard deer of Helena have very little to do with the deer in Clancy, MT, and the deer on Sheep Mountain migrate over Lump Gulch and Clancy Creek - both areas in rough condition in terms of mule deer age class and population - than they do with Helena. I suggest making the boundary of this new portion Jackson Creek Road, to the Brooklyn Bridge Divide, and then along Travis Creek Road down toward Grizzly Gulch. The proposed boundary portion change is way too far south into 335.

-I support the reduction of the liberal elk season in 370 from 5 weeks to two weeks.

-I support changing the number of the 380-01 antlerless white-tailed deer B-license (Only valid on Canyon Ferry WMA – including Canyon Ferry WMA in HDs 380 and 391) to an administrative number not associated with one of the HDs where the license is valid; would suggest a number from 381-387 (-01).

-Do not reinstate antlerless mule deer tags in 318 and 335. These districts are shells of their former selves, and still have very low mule deer numbers. There's no reason for it.

Statewide:

-I oppose the expansion of moose and mountain goat archery seasons. Though this would bring those seasons in line with others, I believe that generally, we seem to only add "drops to a bucket" that is already overflowing. More hunter-days on the landscape is the last thing we need, even if small.

- I am in favor of either of the mule deer hunting crowd reduction methods being proposed. In particular: Limit hunters to hunting mule deer on their general license in only ONE of FWP’s seven administrative regions. There may be a cap placed on the number of mule deer hunters that could hunt in each administrative region of Montana.

-I support putting more districts in a Limited Entry model for mule deer bucks. To the question of how many years within a five year period should a hunter be able to hunt mule deer, I ask that you focus on the resource first. We have more hunters every year, different access dynamics, etc. To model management around such a question would be setting yourself up for failure.

-I support reduced season length in areas where mule deer numbers, and mule deer buck/doe ratios are low. I'd also ask that you consider the age class of the population in these areas where season length reduction is being considered.

Finishing up comments today, but it's largely in line with what @Nameless Range , but I managed to convince myself that archery for Moose & Goat would help spread pressure out so long as there weren't separate quotas for these species and I don't think eliminating MD opportunity for those who didn't draw was the right choice, so went with something more along the lines of pick your district and more LE permitted areas for Mule Deer.

Overall, there are reductions in shoulder seasons, increased use of damage hunts and more units going limited entry for bucks. It's not a perfect set of "tentatives," but it's not nearly as problematic as 2021.

The lack of any change to deer & elk in R7 proposed is very concerning.

Also adding that if an area is chronically over-objective for elk, then you move to antlerless only on an A tag valid for private land, permits only for cows on public.

Anyone else only get the option to comment once on the website? In the past, if I thought of more comments it would allow me to go back and submit additional comments. This year it was one and done. I am still able to submit additional comments via email obviously.

I agree with Ben that the lack of changes for deer and elk in R7 is concerning.

I also commented on the proposal to open the Yellowstone from the confluence with the Bighorn and the Custer/Rosebud county line to waterfowl hunting. I think having a safe place for birds probably keeps them around longer. Hunters wanting to hunt them on the river is a little short sighted and will lead to birds heading south earlier in my opinion.

I also commented on the proposal to open the Yellowstone from the confluence with the Bighorn and the Custer/Rosebud county line to waterfowl hunting. I think having a safe place for birds probably keeps them around longer. Hunters wanting to hunt them on the river is a little short sighted and will lead to birds heading south earlier in my opinion.

I'm struggling with this one. Given populations and the closure has been in place since the 50's, not really sure what is gained here, but it sounds like there's support for it in Yellowstone county.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back