2010 Montana Proposed Wolf Season and Quota

tjones

Hot off the press

FWP SEEKS SEVERAL CHANGES FOR 2010 WOLF HUNTING SEASON
Montana's Fish, Wildlife & Parks Commission will be asked to consider a number of changes next week for the proposed 2010 wolf hunting season.
Based on lessons learned from the state’s first regulated wolf hunt last year, FWP wildlife managers are proposing to create 14 wolf hunting units and will ask the commission to consider overall harvest quotas of 186 and 216 wolves. Commissioners approved a harvest quota of 75 wolves across three wolf management units for the 2009 season.
“In a word, it’s all about balance,” said Ken McDonald, FWP’s chief of wildlife. “Smaller and more wolf management units represent lessons learned from the 2009 hunting season. Some areas contributed more to the harvest than expected and prevented us from addressing management needs in other areas. We want to adjust that to ensure a widely distributed harvest and yet still target areas where we’re seeing impacts on prey, like elk and deer, and where recurring livestock depredations are anticipated.”
The FWP Commission will meet May 13 at the FWP Helena Headquarters, 1420 East 6th Ave. beginning at 8:30 a.m.
In addition, subquotas are proposed in three areas to limit harvest during early season backcountry hunts and including the area directly north of Yellowstone National Park. Wildlife managers also will ask the commission to consider a wolf archery season to run Sept.4 through Oct. 17, the same time as Montana’s deer, elk, lion, and black bear archery seasons.
McDonald said a harvest quota of 186 wolves would likely reduce the wolf population by about 13 percent, to a predicted 439 wolves living in packs at the end of 2010. A harvest quota of 216 is projected to reduce the wolf population to 403 wolves living in packs, or by about 20 percent. These projections include anticipated reductions due to livestock depredation and mortalities from other events, like accidents and natural causes.
McDonald noted that the proposed harvest alternatives carry specific tradeoffs. “We believe both options are in line with our wildlife management responsibilities,” he said. “The lower quota of 186 wolves moves us at a slower management pace, while a quota of 216 wolves allows us to move a bit more rapidly to address the wildlife and livestock depredation issues that are occurring. In both cases, we know these quotas are conservative and in line with what we think will be viewed as reasonable proposals. We need to hear how the commission and public feel about the pace and the associated tradeoffs.”
The public will have an opportunity to comment on any proposal approved by the commission. The statewide meetings to discuss the proposals will be held June 2. The public comment period is expected to run through June 14. A final decision on the wolf season and quota is set for July 8.
For the 2010 wolf hunt, northwestern Montana would have a total of nine wolf management units with a total quota of 122 or 133 wolves; western Montana would have two management units with a total quota of 26 or 31 wolves; and the three proposed management units in the southwestern portion of the state would have a total quota of 38 or 52 wolves. Eastern Montana is included in hunting units as well.
“Montana's approach to wolf management continues to be balanced, scientific and measured,” McDonald said. “We’ve learned a lot over the past year and our proposals for 2010 reflect a rigorous, science-based effort to manage the total number of wolves that can be taken by hunters while maintaining a balance among all wildlife, their habitats and the people who live here. That balance will include managing for a recovered wolf population while addressing livestock depredation and impacts to other wildlife. It’s our responsibility to address the fact that more than 200 sheep and about 100 head of cattle were killed by wolves last year and that wolves have depressed deer and elk populations in some areas.”
Last year, during Montana’s first ever regulated wolf hunt, hunters harvested 72 wolves between Sept. 15 and Nov. 16. As hunters approached the overall harvest quota of 75 wolves, FWP closed the hunt about two weeks before the season was scheduled to end to ensure the quota would not be exceeded.
McDonald stressed that FWP will continue to monitor the wolf population before, during, and after the hunting season to determine how the population responds.
Wolf hunting season dates would correspond to Montana's early backcountry big game hunting season, which runs Sept. 4—14 for archery and Sept. 15—Nov. 28 for rifle hunting; and the big game archery and rifle seasons set for Sept. 4—Oct. 17 and Oct. 23—Nov. 28 respectively. Hunting licenses will cost $19 for residents and $350 for nonresidents. License sales should begin in August.
Officials caution, however, that the wolf hunting season could be blocked by groups that recently sued the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to prevent wolf delisting. Such legal challenges prevented wolf delisting and a hunting season in 2008 and could affect the wolf hunt this year. FWP has joined the USFWS’s defense of the delisting decision. Court arguments are set for June 15 in Missoula.
The recovery goal for wolves in the northern Rocky Mountains was set at a minimum of 30 breeding pairs—successfully reproducing wolf packs—and a minimum of 300 individual wolves for at least three consecutive years. This goal was achieved in 2002, and the wolf population has increased every year since. The northern Rockies' "metapopulation" is comprised of wolf populations in Montana, Idaho, and Wyoming. Today, about 1,700 wolves, with about 115 breeding pairs, live in the region, where wolves can travel about freely to join existing packs or form new packs. This, combined with wolf populations in Canada and Alaska, assures genetic diversity.
In Montana, officials estimate that at least 524 wolves, in 101 verified packs, and 37 breeding pairs inhabited the state at the end of 2009.
Delisting allows Montana to manage wolves in a manner similar to how bears, mountain lions and other wildlife species are managed, guided completely by state management plans and laws.
The full FWP Commission agenda and additional information on the scheduled topics may be found on the FWP website at fwp.mt.gov on the home page under the heading FWP Commission.
To learn more about Montana’s wolf population, visit FWP online at fwp.mt.gov. Click “Montana Wolves”.

FWP often finds ways to screw up easy decisions and processes, and get a lot flack for it.

You have to give them credit though, they really seem to be handling this well. With everything that I've considered a problem with last year's hunt, they seem to have a solution for with these proposals.

My main gripe was that most the wolves killed last year where in ranching areas, where they're already somewhat managed. A lot of the packs that are hammering elk herds in more remote areas, didn't have any reported kills. These are the packs I wish would get the most pressure. Hopefully, these subunits will try to address that a bit. I'm really curious to see what the subunits are...

*most the wolves killed in region 2, I don't know as much about the wolves killed in 1 and 3.

Randy11, good points, I also agree that the MTFWP is handling this as near perfect as possible...all things considered.

The season needs to go through March 31st. It's a quota, so that holds you to your kill. If they don't allow a longer season they will kill 100 tops.

The season needs to go through March 31st. It's a quota, so that holds you to your kill. If they don't allow a longer season they will kill 100 tops.

Remember last year they had that catch season that extended through December? I'd imagine they'd include something similar to that again this year. I agree though, it's going to be hard to kill that many wolves in 5 weeks of rifle season.

I really can't wait to see what subunit my hunting area's lumped into. If it's its own area, and goes like last season, the quota likely won't be filled and I'll get to hunt them all season.

I'd like to see open season until the quota is filled.
On a side note: I think it stinks that the federal reintroduction is now just shoved onto FWP's sholders to handle. Shouldn't there be some serious stimulus money comming from the Californians that wanted wolves in Montana? It is likely I just have wishful thinking. Good luck FWP!

The people in Montana wanted the wolves too.

It wasnt shoved on the shoulders of the FWP, the final EIS clearly stated that MT, ID, and WY would be getting control and management once the wolf numbers were met as per the same FEIS.

I wouldnt want to see open seasons until filled, but I would like to see a December and January trapping season on wolves...as well as continued hunting until January 31st.

I think hide quality would be poor much later than that...could be wrong, just going off what I know about coyotes and fox.

I have no vested interest in this but it seems funny that the trappers of Montana don't get a chance to catch at least a few of the wolves.Even if it was by a drawing to get a special permit.It bet they would even voluntarily take a certification course just to be able to have the chance to trap them.I agree with Buzz that the hide quality would probably go down hill in the later part of January.

Last edited:
Not to stir a hornet's nest but I still have a hard time believing the people of Montana want wolves but then again I didn't think our state would ever legalize "medical" marajuana either. I guess wolf worshipping and weed smoking will never be my thing.

I wouldnt want to see open seasons until filled, but I would like to see a December and January trapping season on wolves...as well as continued hunting until January 31st.

I think hide quality would be poor much later than that...could be wrong, just going off what I know about coyotes and fox.

Good point Buzz.

Somewhere I thought the plan was to allow trapping after 3 years of management.

sweetnectar,

The comments received regarding wolf reintroduction are part of the public record...broken down by states.

A vast majority of comments were in favor of reintroduction. If anti-wolf folks didnt take the time to comment...too bad.

I like the subunits being created this year, that was one of things I commented on. Even though the harvest seemed spread out quit well, pack to pack. I hope it works out well.

Does anyone see the subunits on a map? Am I missing it on the FWP site?

I also would love a crack at them in Dec and January. But I think they need the season open during the main hunting season, most wolves were killed opportunistically, they need the sheer numbers of people out there with tags for a hunt to actually be effective. Guys in ID would know better, but I don't know how many people were out after wolves after the main hunting season ended.

I know two guys from here that went over there at the end of February and smoked a couple in just four days hunting. Theyver even saw another hunter the whole time, or cut tracks of anyone in there looking for them.

FWP doesn't have anything on their site yet, the press release is all that's came out so far.

Judge orders protections reinstated for gray wolf
Story Discussion Associated Press | Posted: Thursday, August 5, 2010 4:10 pm | No Comments Posted

Kent Kauden
(AP photo)

HELENA — A federal judge on Thursday reinstated Endangered Species Act protections for wolves in Montana and Idaho, saying the government made a political decision in removing the protections from just two of the three states where Rocky Mountain wolves roam.

U.S. District Judge Donald Molloy said in his ruling that the entire Rocky Mountain wolf population either must be listed as an endangered species or removed from the list, but the protections for the same population can't be different for each state.

Last year, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service turned over wolf management to Montana and Idaho wildlife officials but left federal endangered species protections in place for wolves in Wyoming, where state law is considered hostile to the animals' survival.

"Even if the Service's solution is pragmatic, or even practical, it is at its heart a political solution that does not comply with the ESA," Molloy wrote in his ruling.

Defenders of Wildlife, the Greater Yellowstone Coalition and other wildlife advocates sued the federal government after the Fish and Wildlife Service decision in April 2009. They argued that the government's decision would have set a precedent allowing the government to arbitrarily choose which animals should be protected and where.

The decision puts a halt to wolf hunts in Montana and Idaho planned for this fall. Montana wildlife regulators last month set the wolf-hunt quota at 186, more than doubling last year's number, with the aim of reducing the state's wolf population.

Gray wolves were listed as endangered in 1974, but following a reintroduction program in the mid-1990s, there are now more than 1,700 in the Northern Rockies.

Doug Honnold, an attorney for EarthJustice representing the plaintiffs, said he was gratified by the ruling, though he is sure there will be another chapter to the story.

"For today, we are celebrating that the approach we thought was flatly illegal has been rejected. The troubling consequences for the Endangered Species Act has been averted and the wolf hunts are blocked," Honnold said.

Wow! This will get interesting...

Thanks Wyoming... "Defenders of Wildlife..." will have your "thank you" card in the mail come monday.

Sometimes it is better to view the larger picture than to immediately go for gold regardless the cost to those you neighbor...

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back