You had me at "Accommodation to use crossbow"

I am not a very good shot with a bow. I wonder if it is too late to ask them to make that “five individuals?” 😀

I know this is an old thread, but as a person who is unable to use a compound any more due to a car accident, I've had to avoid MT and go to states allowing crossbows for hunters with disabilities (or all hunters like in WY). I think they should follow suit and allow crossbows for folks with a doctor's note at the very least.

I know this is an old thread, but as a person who is unable to use a compound any more due to a car accident, I've had to avoid MT and go to states allowing crossbows for hunters with disabilities (or all hunters like in WY). I think they should follow suit and allow crossbows for folks with a doctor's note at the very least.
they already allow for modification of a bow AND several guys that I know that have shoulder problems are using mouth tabs (with great success) so NOPE we'll continue to fight it. There are alternatives already so that's good enough

What kinds of modifications are you referring to? I fail to see how any compound bow mods would allow me to use one since I can't hold one up, let alone draw it back. Every other western state allows me to use a crossbow, so this makes no sense to me.

What kinds of modifications are you referring to? I fail to see how any compound bow mods would allow me to use one since I can't hold one up, let alone draw it back. Every other western state allows me to use a crossbow, so this makes no sense to me.

Who says you can’t use a crossbow in MT? You can from the end of October-February.

It's just a matter of time. It's clear the people opposing this are fighting a losing battle. Much like the folks who oppose MJ legalization.

In the end crossbows have not caused the problems many thought they would in places like Wyoming, Nebraska, etc...

I am way more concerned with hunting remotely, shooting from a drone, hunting with 6.5 creedmore lasers, etc.. that we will see down the road. You sit in your living room and the "guide" launches the armed drone. The person flies the drone around letting the app estimate score. Once you find your trophy you lock on and press the button. UPS man delivers a skull to your door for social media pics, guess that score, etc...

Thanks for the link! Unfortunately, it still says no crossbows. This being said, how is a crossbow any different from something, "...that supports the bow, and draws, holds and releases the string??" They're basically referring to a crossbow at this point, but a vertical one rather than a horizontal one. Additionally, the mechanism for supporting a compound bow must be some major contraption!! My crossbow has a "Steady Eddy" designed by the manufacturer to support the weight and that's with my arm tucked in vs. a compound bow where one's arm must be fully extended and supporting ~7 lbs (what my compound I used to use weighs with quiver and arrows).

Thanks for the link! Unfortunately, it still says no crossbows. This being said, how is a crossbow any different from something, "...that supports the bow, and draws, holds and releases the string??" They're basically referring to a crossbow at this point, but a vertical one rather than a horizontal one. Additionally, the mechanism for supporting a compound bow must be some major contraption!! My crossbow has a "Steady Eddy" designed by the manufacturer to support the weight and that's with my arm tucked in vs. a compound bow where one's arm must be fully extended and supporting ~7 lbs (what my compound I used to use weighs with quiver and arrows).

I'm not an archer, although I am considering getting a crossbow just to name it @BuzzH so I'd defer to those who know the equipment better than I. I was just providing the information you asked about.

It's just a matter of time. It's clear the people opposing this are fighting a losing battle. Much like the folks who oppose MJ legalization.

In the end crossbows have not caused the problems many thought they would in places like Wyoming, Nebraska, etc...

I am way more concerned with hunting remotely, shooting from a drone, hunting with 6.5 creedmore lasers, etc.. that we will see down the road. You sit in your living room and the "guide" launches the armed drone. The person flies the drone around letting the app estimate score. Once you find your trophy you lock on and press the button. UPS man delivers a skull to your door for social media pics, guess that score, etc...
No, crossbows haven't caused issues. Out here in the Midwest, people were against them for a long time too, but with their adoption, the number of deer haven't gone down across the states from their use. I have the right to use a crossbow in AZ, NM, and CO, but their elk numbers haven't plummeted from this option, so where's the argument? Additionally, I would say getting around with a crossbow on your back is a royal PAIN! My hunting partners in CO could get through patches of timber/brush so easily w/their compound bows and I was getting hung up on everything with it on my back.

I'm not an archer, although I am considering getting a crossbow just to name it @BuzzH so I'd defer to those who know the equipment better than I. I was just providing the information you asked about.
I appreciate you trying to help! When I asked about the modifications, I was specifically asking about what options are available for use able to be purchased in a store. I've seen (and have used) the mods to help w/ the crossbow, but have never seen anything for a compound bow.

I'm referring to during archery season, not rifle season.
You may hunt deer with a crossbow from Sept 4th through Jan 15th and hunt elk with a crossbow from Sept 4th through Feb 15th (absolutely during the archery season) in the large Weapons Restricted Area HD 309. You have similar crossbow hunting opportunity in other WRA's.

Quit whining!

I appreciate you trying to help! When I asked about the modifications, I was specifically asking about what options are available for use able to be purchased in a store. I've seen (and have used) the mods to help w/ the crossbow, but have never seen anything for a compound bow.
Pappy if I am reading your posts right are you not able to hold the bow out in front of yourself and aim it with your bow holding arm? I think most guys have problems with the drawing arm shoulder. Just trying to understand

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back