You always remember your first

mdhunter

So my dad called and said he would like to give me his only gun as he doesnt hunt anymore and knows I would use it. It is a nice Belgium Browning that I have always wanted so I was certainly excited.

I swing by his house and there are two guns waiting for me. The second one is a single shot 20 guage Stevens that was my first! I havent seen that gun in twenty five years. I thought for sure it was lost in a move years ago.

I was given that gun for Christmas when I was eight years old. I know, I know, a hammer @#)(# shotgun and a kid may not be a great idea anymore but remember, kids were smarter back then. Anyhow, a pile of animals met their maker with that little shotgun. I have killed squirrels, rabbits, dove, ducks, and maybe a goose. My grandfather let me call the shots as he knew I only had one and I wanted it to count. I should confess that normally meant the ducks were inches off the water.

Anyone else remember their first?

Attachments

• stevens.jpg
    stevens.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 651
Nice post!
Glad ya got her back!
Wished I had gotten my gramps' old o/u 20 gauge Ithaca. Man he loved that gun and my
First weapon was a Winchester 1300 pump I believe - cut my teeth shooting quail , everything
Seems easy after shooting at those!

Last edited:
Marlin 25 bolt action 22lr. Still incredibly accurate.

Belgium Browning that was handed down, the old mans meat gun. Looks like an old oar with a pipe sticking out

Remington 22 pump...wore it out...long gone. First new firearm a Belgium Auto-5 Light 12 1969....it'll wear me out.

Post a pic sir....I love those old Belgiums!!!
>I traded my 1st gun in on my current shooter (since 1994) the good old 870 Wingmaster.
Still cant leave the house without it, swinging that with #2s on geese and big mallards oooo la la.

My first hunting gun was a Bolt action Sears 20 gauge with a Poly choke but was never mine to have. My first gun is a old Marlin-Glenfield Model 60 which was a Christmas gift from my grandpa; I still have that gun but it is prone to jamming. The first gun my dad gave me is a Marlin Model 25N (again Christmas gift) which I still hunt with. I have purchased every gun since but those 2 will always remain in my safe.

My first gun was the same 20 gauge single shot, 52 years old now. I think it's the perfect gun to start a kid with. I refinished the stock and passed it on to a great nephew several years ago with the understanding that it would always be passed on within the family. His father and grandpa never took him hunting so I took it back. I'm waiting for the right kid to come along to start hunting with it, family or not.

Last edited:
I have my first shotgun as well. It is a Stevens single shot 20 ga. that the previous owner purchased at Montgomery Ward. He sold it to me for $7, I was 13 years old. Undoubtedly I have taken more game with it than any other firearm I have ever owned. And my daughter and my son have both used it successfully as well.
Great post. Thanks for the walk down memory lane.

Still have my first which my Dad bought for me just before dove season in 1954, an Iver Johnson Champion in 410 bore. That gun has accounted for a truckload of squirrels and rabbits, dove and quail and the occasional woodie, even one coon.

Mine was a Monkey Wards single shot .410. They say to never give a kid a .410 but let me tell you it taught me how to shoot.

here is a pic of mine when I was 15. started carrying it when I was 12. shot my first 2 deer with it when I was 13, 2 more at 14 and this one when I was 15. I got my rifle when I was 16. Mossberg 12 gauge bolt action

broke it out of the safe in 2013 and shot my first 2 turkeys with it

my son carried it for turkey season this year..passed it on down

Last edited:
I've still got the Marlin .22 wmr that was my first and it's sill a tack driver.

Mud ranger: That thing is a beast. Is that a poly choke on it? I was given a Remminton Model 11-A with one of those that was my grandfathers gun.

Remington Auto 22lr. Great shooting rifle that my kids and I still use each spring to shoot ground squirrels. Several thousand rounds have gone through that gun and it still shoots well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back