Caribou Gear

YETI coolers

I have both the 45 and 75 Yeti"s and would say that they are worth every penny. I live in the south and use them both for hunting and fishing offshore. I brought them west last year for a november elk hunt and never refilled them with ice. Also brought snow home to my daughter. Very, Very durable!!

While Yeti coolers do hold and keep ice extremely well, and may be Grizzly proof as advertised, they are not coon proof! My brother has a couple of them and camps out with his pop-up camper. Even if he slides the coolers underneath the camper, the coons will drag 'em out and open them to get to the contents. His first experience with this was at Hunting Island State Park, here in SC. The coons got into the Yeti and ate all of his bacon, cheese, and sandwich meat, as well as most of the bread he had inside of it. On one trip, he had some pecan turtles candy(which his wife enjoys), it was an anniversary surprise for her, but all he had left was the empty box after the coons ate all of the candy! He's even placed heavier items on top in an effort to keep the coons out, and they still manage to move the coolers and get inside of them to steal the contents. Now, he has to lock the coolers inside of his truck when they go camping.

I've laughed at him and told him he should send pictures and a letter to Yeti and advise them that their products may be Grizzly proof, but it's obvious that coons are smarter than bears since they can still open them and get to the stored items.

While Yeti coolers do hold and keep ice extremely well, and may be Grizzly proof as advertised, they are not coon proof! My brother has a couple of them and camps out with his pop-up camper. Even if he slides the coolers underneath the camper, the coons will drag 'em out and open them to get to the contents. His first experience with this was at Hunting Island State Park, here in SC. The coons got into the Yeti and ate all of his bacon, cheese, and sandwich meat, as well as most of the bread he had inside of it. On one trip, he had some pecan turtles candy(which his wife enjoys), it was an anniversary surprise for her, but all he had left was the empty box after the coons ate all of the candy! He's even placed heavier items on top in an effort to keep the coons out, and they still manage to move the coolers and get inside of them to steal the contents. Now, he has to lock the coolers inside of his truck when they go camping.

I've laughed at him and told him he should send pictures and a letter to Yeti and advise them that their products may be Grizzly proof, but it's obvious that coons are smarter than bears since they can still open them and get to the stored items.

They're only grizzly(or racoon proof) if you lock them with a(not provided) keyed padlock...

I've never had a coleman that didn't keep ice longer than it's hinges and lid restraint lasted.

dustinf, funny that the commercials and the advertisements don't advise people of that (possibly) important fact. They just show the cooler with the rubber closure devices in place. False advertisement?????

From Yeti's website...
Tundra_Lock__81210.1308680795.345.345.PNG

At least to me, the lock is easily visible in the TV commercial when the bear is playing with the cooler. You couldn't seriously think that just a rubber latch would make something critter proof...

Yetis are nice, I have their giant 250. Works great but there are other brands out there now that are just as good if not better and are much cheaper. Brute and Pelican are both great coolers at much lower price points.

Yeti may be a great cooler, but I will never own one because of the price. $400+ for a cooler is not something I would do even though I could afford it.. I have a Igloo that I bought about 5 years ago ($70) that is still going strong. It keeps Ice easily for 5 days which is about as long as I am out. Don't get me wrong, I would love one and have looked at them. I just can't justify the cost.

One question I have with coolers is how much cooler space is needed for an average elk. I will be going on my first elk hunt this fall and not sure how much cooler space I will need to safely bring the meat home after the hunt if I am lucky enough to get one.

One question I have with coolers is how much cooler space is needed for an average elk. I will be going on my first elk hunt this fall and not sure how much cooler space I will need to safely bring the meat home after the hunt if I am lucky enough to get one.

I expect 300 quarts of space for the meat and frozen milk jugs needed to keep it cool and that is if the meat is boned out. You will need more if you plan to cape the bull.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back