Yellowstone Park Wolves

You must not read a lot of our discussions on Elk management in Montana. This have been going on now for around 20 years on this site. I do believe about everything Ben has said has already been discussed on one thread or another here.
Yes, and the decline of the northern Yellowstone elk herd has been hashed and rehashed, with analysis of the many factors, but with overabundance of elk harvest as prominently apparent, along with increase in four legged predators and their successful dining habits.

You must not read a lot of our discussions on Elk management in Montana. This have been going on now for around 20 years on this site. I do believe about everything Ben has said has already been discussed on one thread or another here.
No I’m new to this site and I don’t follow the state wide elk herds in either state. In 91 I was in Alcova Wy and watched the elk cross the North Platte for the first time in 100 years so I was told by the game warden then . He was not happy about that at the time , his words were that is a real problem. I realize elk have expanded their range throughout the state. Most of my concentration has been on the park area and Sell way bitterroot areas . That being said I’m always willing to learn more !

No I’m new to this site and I don’t follow the state wide elk herds in either state. In 91 I was in Alcova Wy and watched the elk cross the North Platte for the first time in 100 years so I was told by the game warden then . He was not happy about that at the time , his words were that is a real problem. I realize elk have expanded their range throughout the state. Most of my concentration has been on the park area and Sell way bitterroot areas . That being said I’m always willing to learn more !
Shoots said what you responded to, not me ... however I agree with him one hundred percent!

There's a problem when wolf packs exceed the common pack size...

27 in the "Druid Pack".

Then, this human exclusion from our ecosystem of life... there are many factors that harm "objective research" for use on a general platform.

YNP us a zoo. Plain and simple. A fictitious belief this is our ecosystem. Fuggin human aliens.

There's a problem when wolf packs exceed the common pack size...

27 in the "Druid Pack".

Then, this human exclusion from our ecosystem of life... there are many factors that harm "objective research" for use on a general platform.

YNP us a zoo. Plain and simple. A fictitious belief this is our ecosystem. Fuggin human aliens.
From the National Wildlife federation.

Wolves live in packs. Most packs have four to nine members, but the size can range from as few as two wolves to as many as 15. Occasionally a pack can increase to 30 members, until some individuals break off to find new territory and form their own pack.

So what is "common"? 4-9? 2-15? In the end I don't see a "problem" that needs to be solved, by people at least. I see nature doing what nature does as a dynamic system. Last time I checked the research (2017,2018ish?), the recent leading cause of wolf deaths in YNP was wolves. That probably indicates that they have reached some type of carrying capacity where any prime habitat was already occupied by another pack. I can't wait until they find the Breaks. :D

Natures biggest problem is the hubris of humans. We have "solved" a lot of problems only to create many more.

SAJ-99
“Natures biggest problem is the hubris of humans. We have “solved “a lot of problems only to create many more .”

I think many agree with that statement and the reintroduction of the wolf is a great example ! I realize that’s not your point but many feel Pandora’s box has been opened creating a problem that didn’t exists before we put our gray friend back to running the park .

So what is "common"? 4-9? 2-15?
Hah! Well as you are inquiring, I'd refer you to the baloney R1 public meetings biologists have served... typical is average 5-8. That's how they get a rough average for one of their primary POM metrics... to assess the quantity of wolves.

Meanwhile extensive camera, etc counts on our neighboring ID had them around 1500...

So I would say in response the average pack is approx 5-8.

In the public National RV zoo, Apologies, I mistyped... "Park" well it's a different story.

Hah! Well as you are inquiring, I'd refer you to the baloney R1 public meetings biologists have served... typical is average 5-8. That's how they get a rough average for one of their primary POM metrics... to assess the quantity of wolves.

Meanwhile extensive camera, etc counts on our neighboring ID had them around 1500...

So I would say in response the average pack is approx 5-8.

In the public National RV zoo, Apologies, I mistyped... "Park" well it's a different story.
I'm sure normal in Glacier or the Bob is different than normal in Yellowstone. There is a website for Yellowstone wolves. Yellowstonewolf.org. You cited the Druid Peak Pack at 27. It actually peaked at 37 in 2001. By 2010 the pack was gone. Take a look at the various pack write-ups. It isn't an easy life being a wolf, contrary to the popular belief by many HT'ers that wolves are super predators that breed like rabbits and live forever unless trapped or shot by all-knowing human hunter.

Don't worry, I don't expect that you will ever stop blaming wolves for R1's elk problems.

By 2010 the pack was gone
And here they are... back at 27... contrary to some HTers. ;)

Amazing you mention GNP... w/ a quota of 2 along our Whitefish ---> North.

Yep. Biologist or Eco-extremists control that "management"? I'd like to hope one day objective biologists would manage those #'s though. The National Zoo's and the "buffer zone" is a whole can of eco-extremists working hard to get the city folk love.

Don't worry, I don't expect that you will ever stop blaming wolves for R1's elk problems.
That comment right there shows your ignorance or blatant stupidity for my content related to the various issues (including wolves) we have in the Whitefish ---> North elk counts.

And here they are... back at 27... contrary to some HTers. ;)

Amazing you mention GNP... w/ a quota of 2 along our Whitefish ---> North.

Yep. Biologist or Eco-extremists control that "management"? I'd like to hope one day objective biologists would manage those #'s though. The National Zoo's and the "buffer zone" is a whole can of eco-extremists working hard to get the city folk love.
Junction Butte pack.

And you will never see me argue the quota shouldn’t be higher. I argue only that it should be set at a reasonable level so that it shouldn’t matter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back