MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Wyoming Unit 8

Would anyone be willing to share their opinion/experience in Unit 8? L public land hunting experience? I would appreciate..

Joe

A friend hunted it last year. They went like 5 days after the season was open. Saw exactly 0 antelope on public land in 1.5 days of hunting. They were total rookies so not sure how far back they walked to look over the next hill. After that they found some on private, asked the rancher, paid a trespass fee and wacked 3 in a hurry and went home. They said that if they ver went back they would go early, scout and be on some early on opening day next time.

A friend hunted it last year. They went like 5 days after the season was open. Saw exactly 0 antelope on public land in 1.5 days of hunting. They were total rookies so not sure how far back they walked to look over the next hill. After that they found some on private, asked the rancher, paid a trespass fee and wacked 3 in a hurry and went home. They said that if they ver went back they would go early, scout and be on some early on opening day next time.
Thanks for the intel...

I've hunted 9 but not 8. Hunted later in the season and we were the only ones there. Saw many lopes and good number of stalks. Decent walk in areas. I got the feeling we could have gotten private trespass for not much money but we didn't need it.

Would anyone be willing to share their opinion/experience in Unit 8? L public land hunting experience? I would appreciate..

Joe

If you can find a place to hunt, it's a good area. Most of the land is private. However, with antelope if you asked nicely, many of the landowners will allow you to hunt. Landowners close to Newcastle have been the easiest to get permissions, but be aware that many have been burned by hunters leaving gates open and leaving trash behind or viscera next to the roadway.

I successfully hunted the unit in 2016 & 2017 on 3rd and then 2nd choice tags. It is a tough hunt. There is a lot of accessible public land, but there are not many antelope on it with most of it surprisingly void of antelope. Better shoot the first one you can and don't expect a trophy.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I've finally gotten my dad to be willing to hunt antelope in wyoming with me so I'm just trying to narrow down units. I have two points, he has none but am willing to share those points with him to draw. I've looked at all the 2nd choice units through go hunt but didn't see anything I liked. # of tags, amount of public land etc... so I've been researching units that require a point to draw per GoHunt. Been using Onx to research each unit for access of public land etc. I've narrowed it down to a couple units. Units 1,8,44,70,113. All these units you need to have 1 point to draw per go hunt. Need to decide on a unit however, so that is why I was asking about unit 8. We'll be willing to walk several miles a day so I'm not worried about that. They all have thier pro's and cons so I'm at a point where I just pick one since I've never been out there before and I'm sure we'll have a good time :)

Some of the units you mention can be drawn in the special on a second choice tag. Might want to consider saving your points and applying in the special draw. I was glad I did after my first pronghorn hunt. It’s a fun hunt. Good luck in your decision.

Some of the units you mention can be drawn in the special on a second choice tag. Might want to consider saving your points and applying in the special draw. I was glad I did after my first pronghorn hunt. It’s a fun hunt. Good luck in your decision.
I know, but my dad doesn't want to drop the extra $$.... don't ask me why it's only a couple hundred extra bucks but I'm trying to work with him. Plus I don't mind using my points, I won't get to WY ever year, to many other species to hunt in the west and realistically at this point in my life I only have time for 1 hunt a year anyway.

Go do a cow elk hunt. Less money spent, way less private/public boundary headaches, more meat, experience beautiful country. Sounds like you are willing to walk several miles a day so the physical part of the hunt won't be an issue.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back