Caribou Gear

Wyoming unit 7

dannyb278

Well after hunting on leftover tags last year on our first-ever Pronghorn hunt and putting one point in the books my dad and I just drew our Wyoming unit 7 Antelope tags. I believe the area is within part of the National grassland. Looks like much more public land than we had last year in unit 24. Any advice from you Hunters familiar with this area would be appreciated. Good luck and good hunting

Make sure and check out all the WIHA private lands in that unit when the G&F puts the updated lists on the website next month.

Shot 4 nice bucks there in 2011 in the southwest corner on that big chunk of public

There was a lot of good WIA access when I was there a couple of years ago and a good road system. I was up there on a group hunt with a bunch of guys from archerytalk and got buck fever and shot just under a sure booner antelope buck. There's a good amount of lopes up in the oil field areas too if those are still public. Make sure you have a chip in your GPS because there's a lot of checkerboard private areas. There was also a lot of cattle grazing in some of the walk in areas. But, the prime rib at Pizza Barn was worth the trip!! Also, there wasn't a walmart there when I was there, just a department store called Pamida that had crap for a sporting goods section. There's some decent creature features in Newcastle, as well as a processor or two if memory serves me right. There was a hot little blonde working at Taco John's when I was there, but she's probably gone now. :cool:

Go to the Pizza Barn in Newcastle for their prime rib :cool:

I've seen this joke ever since I joined this site, I'm not sure if it's a joke or what but I'll be in newcastle this fall for antelope and I think I need to live this out, whether it be a joke or not lol

Make sure and check out all the WIHA private lands in that unit when the G&F puts the updated lists on the website next month.

One of the main reasons I chose this unit, is that it was showing something like 21,000 acres of Walk in Area, not including the National Grasslands and blm land. Will all this public land available compared to other units in the area, i'm kind of surprised it only takes one point to draw. I hope that isn't a bad sign.

I've seen this joke ever since I joined this site, I'm not sure if it's a joke or what but I'll be in newcastle this fall for antelope and I think I need to live this out, whether it be a joke or not lol

Cushman, I as well have seen this brought up numerous times. Sounds like some damn fine prime rib, though the words "Pizza Barn" and "Prime Rib" in the same sentence raises some red flags......

When Cush talks food the only thing I can say is listen closely, LOL!

Cushman, I as well have seen this brought up numerous times. Sounds like some damn fine prime rib, though the words "Pizza Barn" and "Prime Rib" in the same sentence raises some red flags......

lol right?? Maybe I'll see you there, we're going the second week of rifle season

Anyone know if type 7 "private land doe/fawn" tags are good on WIHA?

I was there in 2010 and the next couple of winters had the huge die off. It took a couple of years for them to make a rebound. It was a great unit back then and I have a buddy that lives in Newcastle that tells me the unit has exploded with lopes. You are right about the amount of public access. I'm saving points for unit 73 again, but I would definitely go back to 7 in a heartbeat. You'll have a great hunt!!

I was there in 2010 and the next couple of winters had the huge die off. It took a couple of years for them to make a rebound. It was a great unit back then and I have a buddy that lives in Newcastle that tells me the unit has exploded with lopes. You are right about the amount of public access. I'm saving points for unit 73 again, but I would definitely go back to 7 in a heartbeat. You'll have a great hunt!!

I was also in 7 and 27 in 2010 and can certainly back up what you mentioned the way it was then out there and what I'm hearing from my sources this year that back up your Newcastle buddy's comments. Go shoot a big one and make sure and stop at Cush's favorite eatery in town!

Back