Caribou Gear Tarp

Wyoming Unit 47

CBiddle

Just got a leftover tag! Anybody hunt this unit before? I got some good intell from a guy that's hunted it before but the more info the better! This will be my first trip to Wyoming! I'm pumped!

Pretty wild that there are still leftovers there. I actually called a biologist a few years ago asking about that unit. He said it isn't an easy hunt with limited public and discouraged me from applying there. Said sometimes the elk will be on public and then they'll be gone for 2 weeks. For a leftover though, it's worth taking a shot hunting there and especially if you got some good info.

Like Flatrock said, poor access to public land. Most of the time the elk stay on private. Access fees are high, if you can find someone/outfitter to let you on.

I got a hold of a ranch owner before I bought it. My buddy still had their phone number. I can get in there with a trespass fee. There's is a 1600 acre walk in access property too that is surrounded by BLM land. Literally more property than I can cover in a week. Guess the name of the game will be finding them.

Best of luck! Let us know how you do when the season is over.

Well 47 was a bust! I had a rancher that I was going to pay a trespass fee to get on his property and when I got there he wouldn't answer his damn phone. So I hunted the south side of the copper mountains and never saw an elk.

Well that's a kick in the gut. Maybe next year buddy.
Well 47 was a bust! I had a rancher that I was going to pay a trespass fee to get on his property and when I got there he wouldn't answer his damn phone. So I hunted the south side of the copper mountains and never saw an elk.

Still had a good time! Fished the bighorn my last day there and had a blast. Got some good hiking in too! I will say if you got enough points for a deer or antelope tag I would highly recommend it.

A buddy picked up a leftover cow tag there this year after our antelope hunt. The ranchers hazing the few elk off of public ground to hunters on ATVs was not expected and pretty infuriating. The elk hazers also tried to tell us we were trespassing until they saw the GPS. Some cool country, but there's a reason why there are leftovers...

Last edited:
I packed way in just about every day trying to find something. I saw a ton of old sign in a few places but nothing fresh. It was so damn dry when I was there I had a hard time finding water. then when I did find some water there was no sign of elk anywhere. Kind of left me scratching my head.

A buddy picked up a leftover cow tag there this year after our antelope hunt. The best elk ground we found was on public, but a long walk from the truck. The long walk we expected, the ranchers hazing the elk off of public ground to hunters on ATVs was not expected and pretty infuriating. The elk hazers also tried to tell us we were trespassing until they saw the GPS. Some cool country, but there's a reason why there are leftovers...

I see the ranchers & outfitters in #47 are using the same hazing techniques they use in area #48. Did the ranchers use horses or Atvs to run the elk back onto the private? The ranchers and their outfitters are quite sophisticated in #48....there they use Airplanes and Helicopters in addition to horses. All done under the umbrella of "Rounding up Cattle". And the WG&F looks the other way in all instances.

The pushers were on horses, the hunters were on ATVs, they drove off road to retrieve the cow they shot too... The wild thing is we caught up to "cowboys" right before they rode into the herd and they flat out told us they were pushing the elk to some of their hunters and off the public land...

I hope you called the WG&F and reported it. I probably would have sat back and recorded it as well.

I hope you called the WG&F and reported it. I probably would have sat back and recorded it as well.
Hey CBiddle
I know that it has been a long time since anyone replied in this thread but I figured it could not hurt to try. Can you send me the contact info that you have for the rancher in unit 47? I have a cow tag for archery this year and I was hoping to try and reach out to him as well and maybe hunt his property. Thanks for the assistance and let me know.

Hey CBiddle
I know that it has been a long time since anyone replied in this thread but I figured it could not hurt to try. Can you send me the contact info that you have for the rancher in unit 47? I have a cow tag for archery this year and I was hoping to try and reach out to him as well and maybe hunt his property. Thanks for the assistance and let me know.
Let the "scouting" begin...

Hey CBiddle
Welcome to Hunt Talk.

Hey CBiddle
Creole, Send me 20 pounds of fresh crawdads and I will get you that info and more.

Back