PEAX Equipment

Wyoming unit 23

Then you wont be dissapointed...start reviewing pictures on lie and research how to judge, it can be difficult... front view, side view, lots to look at

Mine was the shortest, 15 1/2 14 1/2... apparently my goat grew in my mind over the last year :)

Last edited:
This thread got off to a bit of a rocky start, but with such relatively positive reviews of unit 23, I see some point creep coming in the next application cycle . . .

This thread got off to a bit of a rocky start, but with such relatively positive reviews of unit 23, I see some point creep coming in the next application cycle . . .

Not any more than WY pronghorn has had in general... the amount of point it takes to draw 67 has doubled since my father-n-law last drew...

23 is a good unit with good road access to great foot access. ...

Reactions: FLS
Im heading down October prob mid month , How is the hunting in october

Goats will be picked through and pressured. Rut activity will be slowing down by mid month....But you will miss the ZOO of opening weekend and first 2 weeks. Hunter numbers will be lower...

If you really want to have fun come down mid-late september for archery, when rut is in full swing and they are chasing like crazy... crossbow is legal if your not a vertical bow guy.

Goats will be picked through and pressured. Rut activity will be slowing down by mid month....But you will miss the ZOO of opening weekend and first 2 weeks. Hunter numbers will be lower...

If you really want to have fun come down mid-late september for archery, when rut is in full swing and they are chasing like crazy... crossbow is legal if your not a vertical bow guy.
That's the plan for next year be a blast with crossbow

Public to private land ratio is not good. About 13% is public. BUT, they do have good trophies and the terrain and habitat supports healthy antelope herds. Your best trophies in this state are coming from the Carbon County area.

How much of that 13% is landlocked? Over 1,000 tags leftover.

None of those are good for public, landlocked or otherwise.

Is there any way to tell from the drawing odds how many residents out of the 112 who put area 23 as their second choice got a tag? I expect one would have to ask WGFD for that info.

Is there any way to tell from the drawing odds how many residents out of the 112 who put area 23 as their second choice got a tag? I expect one would have to ask WGFD for that info.
I would assume all since the quota was 440. 199 drew first choice and 112 second and I’d assume 3rd all drew as well with 44?

There were 440 resident tags available but only 199 first choice apps so no first choice sellout this year. So the non-residents had an unexpectedly better draw this year since all unsold resident tags rollover into the NR pool. Also not safe to assume that all 112 second choices got filled. Looks similar to 2018. Surprising that more residents don't put in for type 1 tags for area 23. The available public land must have more difficult access than one would guess tho I don't follow the area at all.

Last edited:
MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back