Yeti GOBOX Collection

Wyoming special draw?

rmauch20

I’m sure this this has been explained but I can’t find it.What happens to leftover special draw tags?

Example: If unit 1 has 200 tags split between special random and special preference point draw and only 50 of those tags are issued where do the other 150 go?

My understanding is the Special Draw is never sharing tags with the Regular draw and vice versa, even if one draw is under-subscribed and the other is over-subscribed. So, tags not awarded go to the Leftover Draw and that includes tags from Non-resident Special and Regular draws and Resident draws. Not sure how the landowner draw works. You can apply in the leftover draw assuming you are eligible to acquire that particular tag. Let's look at tags for the males of a species. You can have two pronghorn buck tags. You can potentially have two buck deer tags though limited are limited to one mule deer tag. All other species are limited to one bull, ram or billy tag.

That is what I thought but unless I’m missing something the numbers don’t add up. Using real numbers now, unit 1 had 60 undrawn special draw tags. If you check the leftover draw report the quota shows 0 available for the left over draw.

Not sure where those tags were allocated either. To Lopehunter, I do know there is no landowner draw. If they have a certain acreage and animal use days, they are given the tag every year they file the paperwork.

That is what I thought but unless I’m missing something the numbers don’t add up. Using real numbers now, unit 1 had 60 undrawn special draw tags. If you check the leftover draw report the quota shows 0 available for the left over draw.

Pronghorn, correct? Pronghorn draws Resident first then if they have unused quota that falls into Non-Resident quota. I can't follow the math though as there were Unit 1 Resident tags not awarded and Unit 1 NR Special tags not awarded in the Preference bucket. I do not see over-awarding in the NR Random nor in NR Regular Preference or Random. Yet, 0 Unit 1 tags fell into Leftover. A conundrum so obviously I am stumped big time.

Pronghorn, correct? Pronghorn draws Resident first then if they have unused quota that falls into Non-Resident quota. I can't follow the math though as there were Unit 1 Resident tags not awarded and Unit 1 NR Special tags not awarded in the Preference bucket. I do not see over-awarding in the NR Random nor in NR Regular Preference or Random. Yet, 0 Unit 1 tags fell into Leftover. A conundrum so obviously I am stumped big time.

Shouldn't be stumped, between the special and regular random, and special and regular preference point draws, all the tags for unit 1 pronghorn were issued in the initial draw.

A bunch of tags were dropped from the resident draw to the NR draw...residents only drew 59 of their allotted 160 quota (80-20 split). So NR's got an additional 101 tags for a total of 141 NR tags in unit 1.

Shouldn't be stumped, between the special and regular random, and special and regular preference point draws, all the tags for unit 1 pronghorn were issued in the initial draw.

A bunch of tags were dropped from the resident draw to the NR draw...residents only drew 59 of their allotted 160 quota (80-20 split). So NR's got an additional 101 tags for a total of 141 NR tags in unit 1.

The draw report still is confusing me. Unit 1 had 250 buck tags authorized in 2018. https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Hunting/Hunt-Planner/Antelope-Hunting/Antelope-Area-1

274 tags awarded. NR Quota per the 4 reports is 273. NR Special PP and Random were undersubscribed yet those tags never get to the Leftover Draw so are being reallocated to NR Regular PP and/or Random draws.

Appears a re-allocation of quota happens more than just after the Resident draw and would be helpful if the 4 NR reports showed the "rollover" into another draw bucket:
Original Quota Allocation
Surplus Quota Allocated from Resident Draw
Surplus Quota Allocated from NR Special Draw
Total Quota Allocation for this portion of the Draw

So, the reports do not lay out the path of the quota nor is there a single recap that shows how tags are awarded by draw for Unit 1.

Pre-draw: 250 tags authorized so that would break out as 200 Resident, 50 NR (of which 30 for Regular and 20 for Special). NR Preference draw allocation would be NR Regular 22 (or 23) and NR Special 15. NR Random would be NR Regular 8 (or 7) and NR Special 5.

Resident draw takes place in 2018 and 61 Resident applicants are awarded tags in Unit 1. That leaves 139 surplus tags and these are in some manner added into the 50 NR tags authorized. Quota is recalculated. If the re-calculation is done 60/40 and then 75/25 then revised quota to award in NR draw is: 189 NR tags to award (of which 113 for Regular and 76 for Special). Preference would be NR Regular 85 and NR Special 57. Random would be NR Regular 28 and NR Special 19.

NR Quota per the 4 NR reports does not line up with that allocation nor does the actual quota allocated in the 4 NR draws total 189. The NR quota allocation totals 273, not 189: Preference was NR Regular 141 quota of which 202 applied and NR Special 64 quota of which 19 applied leaving 45 undersubscribed. Random was NR Regular 47 quota of which 133 applied and NR Special was 21 quota of which 6 applied leaving 15 undersubscribed.

Even if the 60 undersubscribed NR Special tags are subtracted from 273 NR allocation presuming the undersubscribed tags were put in NR quota elsewhere then the result is 213 rather than 189.

Tags awarded per the reports is 61 Resident + 141 NR Regular PP + 19 NR Special PP + 47 NR Regular Random + 6 NR Special Random = 274 vs 250 authorized. I understand if a group is drawn and even 1 tag remains then all members get a tag so maybe that is when 24 extra tags awarded.

A logical question would be where can I look in the 5 Pronghorn draw statistics reports from 2018 to determine how many Leftover Tags will be made available in the Leftover Draw. The answer seems to be you can't. You could add up all the tags awarded across the 5 reports and compare to tags authorized. You can't view just 1 of the reports and see undersubscription and have confidence there will be Leftover tags in the Leftover Draw.

I presume I messed up the math but checked it twice which gets me just confident enough to type this out here.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JRP325
Back