Wyoming region r

300Winmag

Hey guys, maybe you can help me decide where I should go this year. I'm trying to decide on paying the extra for a special tag in region R Wyoming or look at units in NE Colorado such as 3 or 4. I'll have 2 other guys with me this year and possibly my 10 year old son. Just hoping for a good time, good scenery and a respectable buck. We don't have any points so that's the reason for special draw tag. Thanks for any info.

You might have a tough time drawing 3 or 4 in Colorado with zero points. I expect 3rd rifle especially to be tougher to draw with the later season dates.

I’ve never hunted R in WY, but I can assure you 3 & 4 in Colorado will be full of other hunters. There is an OTC elk season concurrent with the deer so it only adds to the pressure.

You might have a tough time drawing 3 or 4 in Colorado with zero points. I expect 3rd rifle especially to be tougher to draw with the later season dates.
I second that as well I'm not sure about rifle but I know you need at least a point for archery.

I was hoping to get a mule deer tag in Colorado and maybe have a cow tag in my pocket just in case. I just noticed the new dates and structure for Colorado. I've always hunted region C around Kaycee but haven't been there in a few years. Region C in Wyoming was always a guaranteed tag but for some reason takes 3 points to draw these days. I was hoping to not have to spend the extra for a special tag in Wyoming but seems I may have to in order to get a decent tag. It appears region D, L, and Y could be drawn with a special tag, would anyone recommend any of these or any other units. Not looking for honeyholes just opinions of one unit over the other. Thanks

I hunted elk in region R, If you're happy with a 130-150 type deer I think its decent hunt.Lots of company mostly deer hunters

I think we'd be happy with a buck in that range. So far my biggest scored 155 and if the 3 of us could get close to that we'd be very happy. Is there a chance at seeing any cow elk while we're deer hunting?

I think we'd be happy with a buck in that range. So far my biggest scored 155 and if the 3 of us could get close to that we'd be very happy. Is there a chance at seeing any cow elk while we're deer hunting?
Probably the same chance as seeing a mule deer.

So would you guys suggest spending the extra for a region R special tag or would you recommend a different region? Does the last reply mean there's a decent amount of elk or few mule deer?

Regarding numbers, if you look at the job completion reports on the WY G&F website, it goes into a lot of detail about the herds in specific areas.

I may be headed to region R. Looks like beautiful country. No tips to give ya sorry lol. Will be my first time there too. Also looking to hunt it as a 2nd choice special draw tag

Hunted R last year. It was our first out of state hunt and we had a blast! We saw and found deer, but we had to work. Temps we high and there was no snow, so that made movement slow. We ended up passing on several small bucks and went home empty handed. Beautiful country.

Nice cking13... I always apply for units that I am at least one point over, still can’t keep up with the point steep... I mean creep...

I drew it as my third choice in the special draw so I still have my points

Reactions: LCH
I hunted it for my first and only mule deer trip. It was everything I expected just a few more hunters than I anticipated. We hunted high and saw plenty of deer but no trophys. With another year and an ATV could probably pulled it off. We both tagged out with bucks we were proud of.

Hey guys, maybe you can help me decide where I should go this year. I'm trying to decide on paying the extra for a special tag in region R Wyoming or look at units in NE Colorado such as 3 or 4. I'll have 2 other guys with me this year and possibly my 10 year old son. Just hoping for a good time, good scenery and a respectable buck. We don't have any points so that's the reason for special draw tag. Thanks for any info.
PM me if you decide to hunt region r. I've hunted the unit for almost 20 years and guided in it for 12 years. I can give you some tips

Greetings from Alabama, I'm planning a hunt for two (2) vets and my son in Elk-Area 41. I believe we will cover Area 50 of region R. I'm curious to know about muley movements and comparison to elk habits during the October rifle season. Seems like this area gets a lot of hunting pressure from the two seasons.

I won't have an elk tag, but considering using my two points for a mule deer in case I see one. Thoughts/opinions on getting a tag here are greatly appreciated.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back