Wyoming Points Options (Blended vs Non)

Rackmastr

Hey Guys,

Been doing a bit of thinking after our hunt in Alberta last week, about when and how to plan my next trip to Wyoming for pronghorn.

I hunted Unit 67 a few years back (3 years I believe). We had a good hunt and I shot a good heavy buck (not very tall but scored mid 70's). It was a fun zone to hunt with a ton of country to glass. I know more about judging pronghorn the more I hunt, and likely would hunt it a bit differently than we did but still enjoyed the trip and think that there are some great bucks in the zone.

Without getting too specific on worrying about 'units', this post is just a question about what you think is the better option to do with points.

Wife has 11 points
I have 3 points

Do we plan 2 separate hunts and try to draw my wife in a zone like 60, 61, 64, etc with her points and then go back in a couple years when I have 5-6 points and do a different hunt somewhere, or do we blend our points and apply in a zone like 67 that requires somewhere in the 7-8 range to draw?

Obviously either way we can have a good enjoyable hunt and find a good buck, but I'm curious if using her points for a zone that requires the higher points will make for an even more enjoyable hunt in search of the 'right' big buck (80+ if lucky). In any event we'd likely hunt together anyways, and I am just as happy watching her shoot a buck and being part of it as both having tags the same year, I just don't know enough to know if the zones requiring higher points are THAT much more worth doing it wince it will likely not happen again.

Thoughts on how you'd use the points?

If I were in your situation, I'd probably apply as a party for whatever area you most want to hunt. Don't worry as much about the inches coming out of a particular area, and do something else to make it a special hunt. Wall-tenting out in red desert for a week can be really fun.

If I were in your situation, I'd probably apply as a party for whatever area you most want to hunt. Don't worry as much about the inches coming out of a particular area, and do something else to make it a special hunt. Wall-tenting out in red desert for a week can be really fun.

No doubt the experience is special for sure. I'm not worried about 'inches' so much as the opportunity to maximize the usage of the points. One hunt where we both have tags and can enjoy the hunt together, or maximize the high points my wife has and do 2 separate hunts together and enjoy both of them, while possibly getting her into a really 'blue chip' type zone at the same time.

I just love hunting pronghorn, so either way after this we will likely just plan to hunt every handful of years together, but are obviously in a bit of a spot with her sitting at 11. Thanks for the response and suggestion!

11 points is a lot for pronghorn. The other thing I might consider is putting in as a party for antelope, and combining it with a red desert elk and/or deer hunt for either/both of you depending on what you can draw. If you have the time to make it a multi-species hunt, there are some great deer out there. Elk are smaller, but it's the only herd of desert elk, and would be a very unique hunt. That said, if I could only hunt one species for the rest of my life, it would probably be pronghorn, so I totally get the obsession.

Ya they are pretty special for sure.

I don't have points for Wyoming elk (have a ton of options for elk up here and have been lucky to have killed a really good bull in Canada). I have 5 or 6 points for deer but mainly just working away at that.

Agreed, 11 points is a bunch so it will either be a great 'group' application where we blend at 7-8 points (depending when we decide to go) or we will draw her and then plan a separate hunt a couple years later for me. Either way, its a good problem to have and allows us to get down there and hunt pronghorn which I loved the first time doing it!

I’d probably try to do 2 separate hunts. Maybe try to add some doe tags too. Or try to pickup a buck tag on a second choice if you have an area that is on your route on the way home.

I’d probably try to do 2 separate hunts. Maybe try to add some doe tags too. Or try to pickup a buck tag on a second choice if you have an area that is on your route on the way home.

Ya that's a smart idea with the second choice or doe tag. Kinda leaning towards that angle the more I think of it. Something neat about having all those points and letting my wife have a really good chance at drawing a 'blue chip' type unit. Now to start the narrowing down process lol.

I'd use her points on a top end hunt where you can spend time making sure she has a fun time. No way I'd party app.

I like the way both of you guys think...haha.

Not sure why it wasn't more obvious when we first started talking about it, but it sure seems like a pretty exciting option to have a really good hunt. May not be able to make a hunt work in 2018 (she's got fingers crossed on a premium mule deer unit in Alberta with a friend) so will give us lots of time to plan and see what we can make work for a plan.

She almost topped me this year with a really nice 76" antelope in Alberta, but I managed to find one that taped out a bit bigger than hers in a later hunt. My kids both kept the running joke about her buck being bigger most of the season. Pronghorn sure are enjoyable to hunt and finding something in a great unit would be a lot of fun.

I think which ever ways you decide to go your going to have a good time and will not regret you are in a win win situation

if you send in as a party you guys could get some tags in a pretty good unit but if it were me, i'd send in separately. get your wife into a great unit the next time you go, you could do the second choice tag thing and save your points, and then in a couple more years you should have enough points to draw a pretty good unit as well.

I can see it both ways. If your wife is Trophy minded and you like the excuse to go back again I’d get her a premium tag.

If your wife just likes to hunt with you and you’re not necessarily going to back or don’t need much excuse I’d hunt as a pair. It isn’t like the points you’ll have if you partner up won’t get you a good unit with lots of public land and animals.

One thing is for sure; when ya got points you have a whole mess of good options. When you don’t you still have a few just not the plethora that you do...

Good points all around. Likely enjoy the option of having 2 really enjoyable trips (one with her high points and by the time I'm ready to draw I'll have an extra couple as well and be able to draw another good zone).

I think I'm leaning more on having her draw a premium unit, go down as a family and hunt it hard and really enjoy the experience. Then I'll continue to build.

Been doing lots of reading on the 'standard' higher points units (60, 61, 64, 57, 58, etc, etc). A lot to consider, especially given the camping vs hotel options in some of the zones and what year we go, winter and drought conditions. I love the planning aspects of any of the hunts!

Its antelope in Wyoming... just do a joint application in a zone you want. Go and have a blast and dont worry about it. Then your on same point cycles from now on. If you think you will draw apply for some doe tags also. The beauty of Wyoming is every zone has booners in it if that s what you want, all can be great experience hunts. Grab a leftover cow elk or deer tag once u draw that matches up date wise. Good luck

Chris

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back