Wyoming general region A or Y

300Winmag

It's been a little while since I've posted last, but I'm looking for a little help making up my mind. Trying to decide whether we should go with the sure draw of region A or put in and maybe draw region Y. I am thinking about Y because we hunted out of Kaycee several times and the area is familiar. Unfortunately it takes a few points to draw C so our old hotspots aren't available. Region A has a good deer population but we are looking for mulies more than whitetails, so my question is will I have a reasonable chance at a decent muley in A. Either way it's been a few years since I've smelled the sagebrush and I can't wait to get back to Wyoming. Any info or opinions are appreciated.

Looks like you could draw C in the special draw @ zero points. Nothing wrong with searching out new country either though.

I would like to hunt C but the special draw will be out for me this year. My dad is 71 this year and not in the best of health so I'm paying for the trip as a last hoorah to spend a week together. I'll be bringing my 10 year old son along to experience Wyoming and as he calls it " the wild west." Thanks for your responses

I went to Y last year and ended up taking a small 5x5 (only 4x4 or bigger that we saw). It was a fun hunt once we got away from the people. Couldn't find as many deer as I thought we might going into the hunt.

I had a great time out there but I don't think I will be going back to Y anytime soon. I'll be going back to Wyoming soon hopefully, but I am going to look at a different region.

We're looking mostly for mule deer which was my apprehension for drawing A. Are there any other easier to draw regions or units we should be looking at. I thought about regions X and M but most research didn't sound too promising. We're not looking for big trophy deer just average 3 or 4x's. Region B was suggested any thoughts? Again thanks for any responses

Gun this year, I'm trying to build elk points in the meantime. With my kids finally getting older I can finally start traveling to hunt again.

gun in Y can be tough. if there is snow, deer might already be heading to lower elevations and alot of the property that I've seen hold bucks in those elevations is private.

I put in for a Region A tag this year after not drawing a tag in MT. I would also like be in more muley country if possible. I had a co-worker hunt zone 2 in the Black Hills of WY last year and said he saw pretty much only whitetails, which is understandable. Does anyone have an experience in zone 1?

Man, knowing you just are looking for a respectable muley, I would look at unit specific data in the harvest reports from last year and just go to where you see the higher success rates and higher numbers of bucks harvested, while also knowing not to look at those far NE units that have a lot of whitetails in them.

I think a guy will notice there are quite a few units that produce a lot of deer within a region that isn't as well known for higher populations. These regions are huge areas, so looking at unit specific data would be how I narrow it down. Pm me if you'd like more of my thoughts on units. I'd be happy to help.

It's been a little while since I've posted last, but I'm looking for a little help making up my mind. Trying to decide whether we should go with the sure draw of region A or put in and maybe draw region Y. I am thinking about Y because we hunted out of Kaycee several times and the area is familiar. Unfortunately it takes a few points to draw C so our old hotspots aren't available. Region A has a good deer population but we are looking for mulies more than whitetails, so my question is will I have a reasonable chance at a decent muley in A. Either way it's been a few years since I've smelled the sagebrush and I can't wait to get back to Wyoming. Any info or opinions are appreciated.
Did you end up hunting WY? If so, what unit? Two of us went out there mid/late Nov and hunted Region A. My friend shot a pretty decent 3x3 and I shot a messed up rack whitetail on the last evening. Saw tons of deer, mainly private land but saw a good amount on public also. Fun hunt. 75627352_10215445805839703_7765610667159060480_o.jpg76751730_10215445805279689_2697528096575193088_o.jpg77013923_10215445801119585_4855584090042138624_o.jpg78712254_10215445801599597_4547656087632871424_o.jpg76732170_10215445801879604_9053597971123273728_o.jpg

We weren't able to go, my dad has heart issues and ended up in the hospital with an internal bleed. We bought the tags but weren't able to make it out. We're thinking about going this coming fall. If you don't mind me asking, how was access. I've heard it's not as easy as it looks.

Access is not an issue in Region A. You will see plenty of deer on the private but you can find them on public lands, just put in some boot time.

Y is decent, been in it a dew times. Unit A I dont see a point myself unless your shooting for Whitetail. Not because theres no muleys, there are, its just with so many other good areas (1 point or less) i wouldnt do it myself. thats just me though

Went to Unit A again this year - buck activity and sightings were way down from the year before. We had five guys out there and we were spread out throughout the unit. We all ended up shooting bucks and also 4 does. The last day of the season seemed to be the day the bucks starting really chasing. We saw more bucks the last day then the first 4 all together. Tons and tons of does. Also had my first encounter with a mountain lion, actually two, that was pretty neat. It was really dry compared to the year before. Saw some real studs on private land, both muley and whitetails.

Back