MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Wyoming - flying aircraft over private to access public land

did you even read the entire statute? you obviously didn't. Did you call Cheyenne? I'd love to be wrong on this (and have you be right)...their G&F legal/eagle "Kenton" sez no....

Ben Lamb, Ben Lamb, Ben Lamb....hmm, are you the same Ben Lamb of the WWF that got ran out of town? Lander? If so, what are you up to these days?

I did used to work for WWF. Didn't get run out of town though. I'm the same Ben Lamb who stood up to WYOGA when they wanted transferable licenses, who fought against the Wolf mgt plan that kept wolves listed much longer than they should have & helped pass the Wyoming Wildlife & Natural Resource Trust Account.

Are you one of the guys who kept anonymously emailing me death threats & threats against my family?

Nothing in this Section shall apply to the operation of an aircraft in a usual manner where there is no attempt or intent to locate any game animal, such as aircraft used for the sole purpose of passenger transport.

Seems clear to me

WyLionHunter:

Your location says you are from Sheridan. Go into the Sheridan G&F office and ask to talk to Craig Smith.

The Wyoming law as it stands now does not prohibit you from flying into a piece of land (if landing on said land is legal) if you or the pilot of the aircraft flies DIRECTLY to the landing area, unloads and then either leaves the aircraft on the ground or flies DIRECTLY back out of the area. This can be done during the August 1 to January 31 period.

What is not allowed is to take off and fly around the area you are planning to hunt prior to landing; that is what the statute forbids during the Aug 1 to Jan 31 time frame.

There is no 24 hour or same day rule in Wyoming any longer.

ClearCreek

But how would he know where to land for his hunt, or his clients' hunts without doing some obvious sweeping turns, circles and low and slow pass-overs before finding the right place to land?

Seems clear to me

Nothing in this Section shall apply to the operation of an aircraft in a usual manner where there is no attempt or intent to locate any game animal, such as aircraft used for the sole purpose of passenger transport.

Seems clear to me

clear to most anybody

But how would he know where to land for his hunt, or his clients' hunts without doing some obvious sweeping turns, circles and low and slow pass-overs before finding the right place to land?

Seems clear to me
Good point. Even landing at an established airport or rural landing strip, there is a pattern to be flown; downwind, crosswind, final legs at least. In the case of a backcountry landing, whether it be open field, confined area, pinnacle, ridge or whatever landing space, the pilot will necessarily pick an appropriate landing zone, fly over it (at least once, likely several passes), check for obstructions, wind direction, surface conditions, and other factors, then establish a pattern and land.

Now, thanks to pressure from your friends at the WYOGA, all aircraft usage related to hunting is now banned after August 1st of each year.

I'd like to say "thanks, Obama"....but all the thanks goes to the WYOGA and their bitches, the folks at Wyoming G & F

I thank you might be thanking the wrong people for this. I remember reading that WYOGA remained "neutral" on this one. There's probably 2 or more guys on this forum you might be better off thanking. Again, sorry you can't do that anymore.
@JM77 @BuzzH

I did used to work for WWF. Didn't get run out of town though. I'm the same Ben Lamb who stood up to WYOGA when they wanted transferable licenses, who fought against the Wolf mgt plan that kept wolves listed much longer than they should have & helped pass the Wyoming Wildlife & Natural Resource Trust Account.

Are you one of the guys who kept anonymously emailing me death threats & threats against my family?
Death threats? I don't ever recall you at the WWF being that effective, efficient or replaceable to warrant even an honorable mention to be listed on someones hit list.
I do recall you spent much of your time on the fishing boards and chat rooms and loving the drama, though....

Since Jeff and I worked on this regulation directly with the game and fish I can say for sure that the wording of the regulation is not by chance. What the regulation does is for the first time allow a person to legally fly in and hunt state lands. Prior to that with the 24 hour rule, there was no way to legally hunt state lands by flying in since its illegal to camp over night on state land. The gf attorney also suggested we go for the August 1 through end of January regulation so it reflected and made sense from a hunting regulation standpoint. The regulation was specifically intended to end scouting while still making it legal to use aircraft to access land locked blm and state lands. We also changed the definition of aircraft to include drones. Myself, Jeff, and Brian Nesvik, the new gf director worked on this together to get the regulation passed.

Don't call me Nostradamus.

Real Deal Dude, the hardcore DIY backcountry wilderness guy's cajoles don't work so well. Bet he has not a minute for hunters that won't put a check in his hand, and actually makes part of his living off gumptionless "poseurs".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back