Caribou Gear Tarp

Wyoming Elk unit 10

So, I bit the bullet and bought a tag and went out there this weekend. We did not see any elk, but did see some moose. When we went through the check station, the guy there said we were too high. We were at about 10000 in the Lost Lake/Brooklyn lake area. I did not think that was too high. I am now confused.

I'm going to be laid off the last 2 weeks of the year. If I thought I could get around and find a elk I would buy a tag and head up. I need some meat my hog hunt didnt go so good.

Does anyone have any contact info for any ranchers that allow cow elk hunting at a fair price? I have no problem with a fair trespass fee if I can get on some elk

I went out on the Hma yesterday with zero luck. Heard a few gunshots but found no recent elk sign. I am walking 5 to 6 miles every time I go out, reading every book, and online scouting and I still have yet to even see an elk while hunting. I am getting very frustrated.

I'm in the same boat Jerm. We have area 10 tags, but no HMA permission so we went up behind Centennial and around Bald Mountain. Saw no elk and very little sign - only a few old tracks. Not sure where they are right now... Higher up? Lower down? Both?

Keep us posted and I'll do the same. I'm planning on hunting that HMA next year so I'm curious how it works out for you, especially late in the season.

Will do. Let me know if you run into any. I figured with all the snow up there, they would be herded up and down low, but I guess not.

You can get to them through Arlington. I used to stay at the Deep Creek ranger station and there were always a lot of elk in that area. Both of those are about 10,000 ft so they may be snowed in but there are a lot of areas on the way up that road into that area you might find some.
Rock Creek, Sheep lake, Crater Lake.

There is also Sand lake road off of 130 usfs rd 101 I think. to come in from the south but I think you may have a better chance from Arlington.

Get on Google earth you should be able to find it. It all just west of Bald mountain.

Last edited:
Hunted up sand lake rd a week or two ago with no luck. Not a lot of fresh sign either. Thank you for the info.

This is an interesting thread. I have really considered that area for the future, as it is a short drive for me. Those elk have to be somewhere. They are apparently over the desired herd density, as Game and Fish puts out a lot of permits for antlerless, so that tells me that they must be low down on private land that does not allow access.

From what I am reading here, I am not sure that I really want to waste my money there.

I am also very new at elk hunting, so just because i am not seeing them does not mean they are not there.

I have seen some older sign, just nothing that got me excited about elk being there right now. I also know of a few elk taken from unit 10 but do not know where in the unit.

Go to the Friendly Store in Centennial and have breakfast ask if cowboy is around (Tony) the guy with the pet bobcat named Taz. He will tell you where to find them.

Was up bow hunting 5 or 6 days. Saw a little bit of sign, heard elk, and on one of the days actually was stalking a cow and a calf when a nice 6x6 came out at about 50 yds, I only got my bow in August, and I was very comfortable at 30 yards, but had not been able to shoot any further than that. I also was hoping I would have a chance to sneak closer, but that chance never came! Bummed I did not get a shot, but it was an amazing experience seeing those elk from that close. That same day, we were into 3 - 4 spikes without being able to take a shot. My buddies bow string came off his pulley, otherwise we would have had one of the elk for sure. This was all in Area 10.

I only made it up for half a day near the end of rifle season, and we did not see a single track in the fresh snow. Hoping to check out the HMA a few times soon just see what it looks like.

So far, some guy with a bobcat seems like the best advice yet! (Are you serious?)

taz_zps509de01c.jpg

Yep, serious.

Back