MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Wyoming Elk newbie questions

beagle001

Hello all,

There are so many great threads on elk and drawing tags and specific units and whatnot, but there are a few (maybe obvious) questions that I have.

I'll preface this by saying that two buddies and myself are applying for preference points in Wyoming, and initially we were planning on going with an outfitter. Thanks to Fin's success, we are starting to think that saving money and getting our butt's kicked on public land seems like a better idea. None of us have ever hunted elk before, which makes us more crazy I suppose.
Anyway, one question I have is, is three people too many? Does applying as a group help or hurt us?
Also (this one might be a dumb question) if you apply for cow tags, do they use up your preference points? I was kind of thinking that one of us could get a cow tag so we would at least have a little better of a chance to bring meat home.

We plan on going in 2-5 years. Now that we are planning on going on our own, we will be absorbing as much info as we can. I plan on getting a gohunt subscription and a huntingfool subscription as well probably. And obviously learning as much from Fin and the rest of you as well.

So, finally, the last question is... are we crazy? Did we pick the wrong state to try our first elk hunt now that it's public land on our own?

Thanks everybody

You can apply for Cow type 6 and type 7 tags and they do not affect your preference points and the tags are issued in a random draw.

Type 4 cow tags are a "full price" tag and they are allocated in the same way a type 1 tag is allocated. If you draw your fist choice in the "full price", or "special" draw you will lose your preference points. It doesn't matter if it is a type 4 cow tag, or a type 1 bull tag. You keep your preference points if you draw a type 4 tag as a second choice.

If you buy a tag as a leftover after all the drawings are done then you don't burn any points.

Buzz has said that their may be changes coming to the type 4 tags in the future so stay tuned.

Last edited:
I agree go Colorado this year. You didn't mention if you were going gun or bow? I would apply for a 1st rifle season tag some where. Units 12,23,24 have alot of elk(and elk hunters) but would be a good place for a 1st hunt. Just my 2 cents

Thanks guys.

Initially, when we were planning on hunting with an outfitter, we were going to use bow. Now we're open to either. So far we only have one preference point for Wyoming.

IMO,Wy is the absolute best choice you could make.But you should get a little experience under your belts with either cow tags in unit you want to hunt in Wy,or Colorado otc tags.I personally would try for type 6 cow/calf tags in unit you want to bull hunt in a few years.This way you willlearn the unit,not burn points and know where to find your bulls when drawn

Three people going together is no problem and applying as a party has no bearing on whether you draw the tag or not. You are given one number for the draw and you either all draw and go hunting or you strike out. IMHO I wouldn't waste my money on a Huntin Fool subscription, as it has really gone downhill since the Carters sold it and all the good guys left with them.

Ditto, on the Huntin Fool subscription, you get three times the information with the goHunt Insider membership. The only benefit of entering the draw separately, is if you are willing to go on the hunt even though you didn't draw the tag. That way you can go on an elk hunt numerous years in a row, you draw, then your buddy draws, then your other buddy draws. Elk are big animals and the meat can easily be split between hunters. Our camp of 4-5 hunters always splits the meat evenly, even if it was only one elk. That is one way to gain experience and knowledge and still get a bit of a reward.

Wyoming is a great state to start in, especially if you like flexibility. Someone else did a good job of explaining the different types of tags. A buddy and I have been building points and last year we chose to buy leftover cow tags to finally get out and hunt.

Wyoming is great for providing a long season for hunting and weapon choices.

Before buying an OTC tag in col. i would definitely wait to see what WYO. has for leftover tags. I had to buy a reduced price cow tag last year for area 37. unfortunately i will have to buy a leftover again this year as well, but hopefully it will be for either and a area i can bow hunt as well.

Back