PEAX Equipment

Wyoming Elk Hunt - Part 2

npaden

The rest of the story…..

Okay, it’s been well over a week and I’m still on cloud nine over my Wyoming bull, but I’m finally getting around to posting up the rest of the story.

After getting my bull packed out and on ice at the end of day 1, we were in bed and the alarm was set for 4:44 am again for day 2. It was very much of a déjà vu type experience, driving to the trailhead in the dark, hiking to our spot in the dark and then waiting for shooting light and the sun to come up. Again, everything was very quiet and after a few unanswered cow calls and a couple unanswered locator bugles we decided to go ahead and do some more scouting around.

We visited all the suspect areas in the general area throughout the course of the day, stopping and waiting, a little bit of calling, more hiking (all of it bushwhacking) and again we weren’t seeing near as much sign of elk as we would expect. We ended up covering just under 7 miles per the GPS, which doesn’t sound like much, but off trail through the brush and deadfall it was a pretty good day on our feet. I’ve been working really hard at getting in good shape, but my friend Mike is 10 years older than me and I didn’t want to wear him out too much.

Here’s a picture of us hiking through an old burn. We still call it the burn, but it is getting pretty unhuntable anymore it is so thick.

mike_old_burn.jpg

Me and my ever present Mellow Yellow cow call.

nathan_old_burn.jpg

We were back to the truck in the dark and made it back to camp just in time to eat supper and go to bed with the alarm set for 4:44 am to do it all over again the next day. Another déjà vu morning rolled around, except this time we were trying a different spot that is a little less accessible, but almost always has elk activity. The problem is that it is a big drop down into it, so whatever you shoot has to come up out of it. That’s why it is usually about the last place we checkout each year.

Here’s a picture dropping down in.

bushwhacking1_001.jpg

Looking back the other direction.

scenery1_002.jpg

It never looks very steep in pictures, but trust me, it is some work to get down in and out of there.

Again we were surprised at the lack of sign once we got down in there. There were elk around some this summer, but hardly any fresh sign and really not as much sign from the summer as you normally would expect in this area. We were getting pretty discouraged and really kind of at a loss for what to do next.

Mike had forgotten his bugle near our normal spot the day before so we decided we would go ahead and climb out of the hole and go see if we could find his bugle and then eat lunch and decide what to do from there. The climb out wasn’t as bad as we remembered and before too long we were back to where Mike had left his bugle and he let out a locator bugle to let me know he found it and we moved over to our spot to eat lunch.

I’ve mentioned it before, but it really is amazing how many elk we have killed in the last 6 years out of this relatively small area. While we are sitting at the tree that I have marked on my GPS as the overlook tree and I pulled out my GPS the farthest we had killed an elk from that tree in the last 6 years was .59 miles. That’s 6 elk in 6 years and the farthest was .59 miles away. 3 of them were within .25 miles from that tree. Pretty amazing, if anyone wants to know the GPS coordinates just let me know… NOT!!

Okay, before we sat down to eat lunch we both threw a few cow calls out and then sat down and were eating lunch. We were discussing what we were going to do for the evening hunt and which route we were going to take back to the truck because obviously the elk just weren’t around yet or something. About the time Mike takes a bite of his sandwich, antler tines show up cresting the brush on a hill right in front of us. Tines turn into a raghorn elk rack and then turn into a full body as it is pretty much crossing right in front of us. Mike sets his sandwich down, pulls up his rifle and the bull spots him and turns our way, but not quickly enough. A quick offhand shot from a sitting position and the bull is hit hard. He goes crashing down and Mike has to stand up and walk over a few yards and puts a finishing shot in the back of his neck. When it is all said and done Mike realizes that he didn't even flip up his scope covers. I ranged from the spot the bull was first hit back to the tree and it was a whopping 30 yards. So make that 7 elk shot within the last 6 years within .59 miles from that tree and the last one was less than 30 yards!

We actually sat back down and finished lunch and then went over to check his bull out. He wasn’t the biggest bull in the world (in fact he was the smallest antlered elk Mike has ever shot), but he was in the wrong place at the wrong time and was going to eat really good.

Here’s a few of the glory shots of Mike’s bull. We didn’t spend quite as much time taking pictures of him as we did of my bull a couple days earlier, but to me a bull elk DIY on public ground is still a trophy no matter how big his antlers are.

mikes_bull.jpg

Not sure if it is the small antlers that seem to magnify it or what, but this bull really seems to have a huge body for how old he is. We decided that there was probably a really good chance that he was related to the bull that Mike had shot within 300 yards of that spot in 2011 that was a huge bodied bull.

mikes_bull2.jpg

Here’s both of us with his bull.

m_n_elk.jpg

We didn’t have to worry about caping this guy out so things went a little quicker getting him cut up and ready to pack out although he was on a little bit of a hill so that always makes you appreciate those rare flat spots even more.

I was very impressed with my new Stone Glacier pack again on the packout, it was so nice to just throw the meat in the load shelf and not have to worry about what to do with the stuff still in your pack. The day had started out calling for rain so I had my rain gear and jacket in the pack along with all my other normal day pack type stuff so being able to just load the meat in there on the shelf really was nice. I also really like the rifle sling that is part of the pack. Very easy to access and pretty much sits right where your rifle would be if you were using a normal sling.

Here’s a picture of me hauling the first load out.

nathan_m_packout.jpg

Here’s Mike with the last load out including the antlers. We got this guy out in 2 loads each.

mike_packout.jpg

Mike uses an eberlestock X2 pack and it really did well too. We weighed that load in at 75lbs when we got back to camp so he was for sure hauling his share of the weight.
Another early trip back to camp and another run for ice and we were pretty much done for the day. It was really nice to not be looking at a 4:44 am wake up call for a fourth day in a row that’s for sure!

With both of us tagged out, we decided to just go ahead and sleep in and enjoy a day around camp with our families.

camp5_001.jpg

camp6_001.jpg

camp3_001.jpg

And I think one of the few pictures of my wife to actually make it on the blog!

camp1_004.jpg

Looking back, that day spent in camp with the family was about as much fun as I’ve had in a while. I tend to get so focused on the hunt that I almost don’t even see my family during a hunt even when they are there in camp with me. It was so awesome to be tagged out and just spend time with them I almost think that I need to figure out a way to schedule something like that every year even if I don’t tag out. Hard to justify sitting around camp with a high dollar unfilled tag in your pocket though.

After a great day, we had a good nights sleep and were packed up and headed back to Texas the next morning.

hooked_up_leaving_001.jpg

Headed through Grand Teton National Park on the way home we saw the first cow elk of the year! The only elk that we had seen during the hunt were bulls.

Thought this turned out to be a really neat picture.

grand_tetons_001.jpg

I think I’m going to end up stretching this out into one more post when it is all said and done. I’ll make one more post kind of wrapping things up and going retrospective and try to get it posted in the next couple days.

That’s it for now. Nathan

Last edited:
Superb write up and pictures.
Hunting for all the right reasons, putting in the hard yards, taking the
opportunities that are presented and spending time with family in the outdoors.
It cannot get any better then that!

Superb write up and pictures.
Hunting for all the right reasons, putting in the hard yards, taking the
opportunities that are presented and spending time with family in the outdoors.
It cannot get any better then that!

What he said.....

hi npaden,

It looks like a fun hunt. How were you able to get the same area 6 years in a row? Did you get lucky with the draw or was it OTC. For a bull that size how many collers did you use and did you get some of the meat process at home or up in wyoming? I am trying to get my friend to go with me, but he is not sure of it yet. Looking for some tips.
thanks.

great write-up and pics. It's not very often you can tag out and have some fun time with the family Congrats on an awesome hunt. That pic of the cows with the mountains as a backdrop was pretty cool also!

Congrats again.

I just love that last picture. It could, no should, be a post card.

I'll just tag this last little blurb here on the end of this thread.

Part 3 – Restrospective

Okay, it’s been a bit and I’ve had plenty of time to think about this hunt. And I have thought about it quite a bit! Thought I would try to get some of those thought down in writing while they are fresh on my mind.

First it is just amazing that we have the opportunities to do things like this in this great country that we live in. Having hundreds of thousands, MILLIONS of acres of huntable public land is something that you aren’t going to find very many places, but we so often take that for granted. As hunters we really need to do more and step up to promote hunting and public land access because there are folks out there that would like to take it away.

Second, I was VERY lucky on this hunt! The area that we hunt is not a trophy type unit. It is a general tag unit. Any resident in Wyoming can buy an elk tag over the counter and hunt the unit I was hunting in. This is not a unit I would have ever expected to shoot a potential record book animal in. My goal each year on this hunt is to have a chance at shooting a legal bull. The largest bull I had shot in this area before this year was 245”. This is not a hunt where you see tons of elk and get to pick and choose which one you want to shoot. I have never passed on a shot opportunity on this hunt. I can't recall any of us passing on a shot opportunity. My buddy did shoot a nice 315” bull a couple years ago, but that was his biggest bull of his life and he has been hunting this area for 20+ years. I think we know the unit pretty well and we have a little over 50% success on this hunt each year so actually getting a bull on the ground wasn’t the very lucky part, I think we have a little skill and determination that contributed to getting our bulls on the ground, but getting a trophy class bull on the ground was the lucky part! I have no clue what this bull was doing and where he was spending his time to grow such a great set of antlers, but I’m very happy that he did!

I mentioned it before, but I’ll say it again, when I pulled the trigger on my bull I really had no clue how big he was other than the fact that he was a legal bull. As far as I knew he could have been a raghorn. I would have still been happy with him if he was, I just wouldn’t still be on cloud nine over a week later like I am now!

Another thing that I am very blessed with is a great friend to share this hunt with. “Our spot” used to be “Mike’s spot”. He invited me to share his spot 6 years ago and bugled in my first ever bull elk for me and I’ve been hooked ever since.

This is my first bull elk shot in 2008, .59 miles from the overlook tree!

2008_elk1.jpg

It’s not the best picture, but looking at other pictures that are posted, lots of folks have pictures with 5 or 6 guys in their posse with the elk on the ground. With my bull it was just my friend Mike and myself, and a 10 second timer on the camera. To me even if my bull didn't end up scoring as well, it is a huge sense of accomplishment to be able to do it on your own instead of using an outfitter.

n_and_m_bull_002.jpg

On our day 2 walk about, we ended up going back by the spot where I shot my bull on day 1. I ended up taking a few pictures to show the general type of area we are hunting in. This was actually a pretty open spot and the only reason I was able to get a shot off on my bull. Most of the area is even thicker. Another way to help describe the area is that my friend Mike was less than 30 yards from me when I shot my bull. It wasn't because he was being a nice guy and passing on a shot so that I could shoot him, he never had a clear shot at the bull although he did see some glimpses of him and knew he was a legal bull.

where_shot.jpg

We have a few spots marked on the GPS as clearings that would be bow range to anywhere in them even if you were completely on one side or the other.

Surprisingly there wasn’t a bear on the carcass, and it was relatively untouched except for the ravens which didn’t seem to put too much of a dent in it. I went ahead and took a picture of it to show what is left in the field after it has been quartered and deboned. I’m sure there is some meat left on it that some will say I’m being wasteful for leaving, but this is about what it looks like when I’m done on most of my kills.

n_carcass.jpg

Okay, now a couple pictures that didn’t originally make the cut that I’ll throw in. Here’s one of the first pictures we took, I was still just in awe of the bull and amazed that I was lucky enough to shoot him.

nathan_admiring.jpg

Here’s a shot back in camp after day 3 when we got Mike’s bull and packed it in. My son was so happy to have me in camp before he went to bed.

nathan_eli_camp_001.jpg

I mentioned it before about how awesome it was to be tagged out and spending the entire day hanging around camp with him on day 4. I just get so focused on the hunt and filling the tag that most of the time I’ve gone way before the family wakes up and am back well after dark, right before my son is going to bed. I guess to fix that I’m going to have to plan more family camping vacations at other times of the year.

Last picture to post is probably one of the most important ones, although it’s not that flattering.

cutting_meat_001.jpg

The end result of a successful hunt is not just the antlers that are going to end up on the wall. It’s good quality healthy meat for the family. When it was all said and done we ended up with 215 lbs of boneless meat out of my elk. About half of that went to steaks and roasts, the rest went to jerky, sausage and hamburger. That’s enough meat for my family for a year almost. Generally we split the meat that we get on a hunt with whoever we are hunting with, but since Mike was able to fill his tag as well, we ended up with everything. If I’m lucky enough to shoot an elk in New Mexico in a few weeks, we may have enough meat for the family for a couple years! I think I’ll have to invite some friends over for some elk steaks!

That’s about everything I can think of. Feeling very blessed, and thankful for sure.

Nathan

Last edited:
Wow, nice bull i bet it was a pleasent surprise to walk up on that pig! sounds like a great hunt with a good buddy and time well spent with the family! big congrats.

Congratulations - what a great hunt, with friends and family and all. To me the real trophy is the meat - being able to share food that came out of the woods is still magic. And of course a great bull!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back