Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Wyoming Elk - hardest draws

RockyDog

Ive been applying as an NR for the late elk tag in sunlight basin for several years now. Had good luck, successful for preference points every year :)

Anybody know what other WY units with limited elk tags are worthy of applying for.

Thanks.

Depends on what you're after.
Huntodds.com will have all the odds. I'm guessing there really aren't any "secret" units so lower draw odds would translate to a better unit.
Just put in res or non res and hit the go button and all the hunts/weapon types will pop up.

Thanks. I wasnt clear, what i was really asking is what are the well known, hard to draw trophy areas in wyoming. I want to apply for something similar to the gardiner late hunt tag, but in wyoming. I only know of WY area 51, so that is what ive applied for again this year. The sunlight area and area 55 are probably good migration late hunts as well.

It not just the hunt odds but also can you get access to hunt? Some of Wyoming’s better hunt areas may have better odds because you will have to pay to get access to a reasonable place to kill an elk. Our elk are very smart about what is private and what or public land. A friend hunted and area by Casper last year and they were able to see over 500 elk on most days and on one day they counted over 1000 head. The land owner gets $10,000++++ and they kill about 5 or 6 bull elk a year. I know this because his son cowboyed for them for 2 years. He showed me pictures of bulls that ranged from 370 to 412 in score. He does not allow even cow hunters. He does not put in for land damage claims so the G&F have no recourse. Also he is from CA and its just a toy to him
Were I hunt it is mostly private land and again the elk have it figured out. I have access to some private land and can pay $50 for a cow and $250 for a bull if I want to hunt one of the bigger pieces of land. I have watched at least 750 head on one day from ½ mile away with no chance of doing anything about it.
What does this mean, public areas are the hardest to draw some times but if you are willing to do some research you may find better odds in areas with public land if you find access through people and or maps. Myself I bribe ranch people I have gotten to know with help and cooking.

Can't you find some ranch in MT that will let you hunt for a couple hundred a day and maybe $100/point or something like that?!?!

As with most states, hardest draws don't reflect the best hunts. If you have horses and want to hunt wilderness with a resident, you'd probably fare well with a general license that runs 50%. I know a few guys that have hunted the late WY hunts and they are good, but not comparable to Gardiner. 52 is the sunlight basin hunt, 51 is Crandall. Crandall gets hunted hard by an outfitter, John Porter. He's got some killer stock, moves fast, and packs a loaner rifle that pegs elk at ranges "beyond belief". :D

I'd just hunt CO and kill a big bull... No sence in wasting your time with those hard to draw hunts. Hard to draw usually means 'easy' hunt for big animals. Whats the fun in that? :D

i didnt draw the crandall tag again, now have "max" points to apply with again next year, maybe ill use them to apply for an easier to draw tag.

Ive watched the john porter hunts on TV. He does seem like a gogetter of an outfitter. i think the late tag could produce a nice bull if my wyoming resident friend took me to crandall or sunlight.

By the way Greenhorn, I think that offer to hunt those queer eastern montana private land elk has expired. So many rich fatcats have thrown big checks at the brother who inherited the majority of the ranch shares (51% just like a corporation) that he started cutting access even for the family. I guess each family member only gets 3 days of hunting a year so the brother can run pay to play hunting. See hunting access can even suck for people lucky enough to be born into families that own 70,000 acre mountian ranches.

No worries for me though, I wouldnt find a thrill in hunting an area where a fat cross-eyed texan in a toby keith cowboy hat could a shoot a huge bull in the morning and be back at the lodge for tea by brunch anyways. backcountry is what gives me a woody. of course since i live in hamilton im talking about this rocky yosemite type backcountry that is overrun with wolves and almost devoid of elk lately. But at least i have my drainages to myself and i wont run into a dipchit texifornian hunting with a $12,000 wad of bills.

** Edited for my man posting below. I wasn't trying to bust your plans at all..... I just know I appreciated getting some help when I asked. Maybe I sould of PM'd....So I took my recommendation down.

Cheers
Roadtrip

Roadtrip,
One should not post that info for all to see. Guess I will not be going elk hunting in 2010. :( :(

Roadtrip,
I was kinda joking but yeah thats the area I put in for. If you want to hunt it I have a lot of info I would be willing to share on it. I'm going to try for 2010.

Ernesto

Thanks for the offer but I have plenty on that unit. Thats why I recommended it to that fellow. It is in my friends back yard. I will probably put in for it also just because I think it is the most underated Limited unit in Wy and one of the better LE hunts period. Good luck. There are some Hogs in there.

Cheers
Roadtrip

Your friend is a lucky person to live up there. I know almost everyone up there, probably a good chance I know your buddy. I'm going to live up there one day....dreams keep a man going hahahahaha

My dream too Nesto. We are going to have to work long and hard to do it though.

I drew a tag in Unit 7, Can someone tell me what to expect. Size of bulls, Due I need to work on getting access to some private land of just hunt public. There are 4 of us going.
Any help would be great. Thankd

Area 7 has some great bulls but you better try and get some access or a guide. There is lots of public land but it is mostly controlled by private access were the elk are at. Again they know were they are safe. If you can pack one out on your back then you can access some very good areas. I lived next to this area for 9 years and hunted it but mostly on private land. I was friends with an outfitter and he took me after his hunters were done. It still cost me $300 a year for tress pass fee though.

okiebugle,

I'd work on getting access to private...but it wont be cheap.

If you hunt public, I'd say you better be right on top of it in there, with either a rifle or bow. I wouldnt pass many matureish bulls either. I'd say if you find a bull that will score over 300...I'd consider shooting.

IMO, I think the elk hunting for truly large bulls in there is not what it once was, in particular on public. I've never been overly impressed with 7 and with the increase to 1500 either sex tags...its just turning into another elk area.

The elk are pressured more now and theres very little public that doesnt get hunted.

Good luck.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back