Wyoming Elk Draw Proposed

My guess is that date will hold Buzz, but to clarify something, residents only get 2 choices on type 6&7 tags. There is a movement to get that changed to 3 choices from what I am told.

Would be nice to get the issue addressed of being able to modify moose, goat, bison, and sheep applications until after the commission meeting too. I bet some unit 9 moose applicants wouldn't mind being able to modify their choices...bets?

I also know a gal in Laramie that would probably modify her sheep application too....

Would be nice to get the issue addressed of being able to modify moose, goat, bison, and sheep applications until after the commission meeting too. I bet some unit 9 moose applicants wouldn't mind being able to modify their choices...bets?

I also know a gal in Laramie that would probably modify her sheep application too....

Sure would be nice to be able to modify and at least go from 0.0% to 0.2%chance for some of us NR.

I doubt it. People thought the CC fee would reduce applicants. NR elk apps were up almost 3%. Fees, timing, allocation don’t change the fact that wyo has great elk tags and lots of people want them.

And NR Special apps were up in 2019, by about 200 if I remember correctly.

I don't think apps will be down. It actually makes sense to me. If they move the app date to May, some NRs will likely have obtained elk tags somewhere else by then. A January application still gives Wyoming first crack at NR elk hunter applications.

Not necessarily, alot of people may not have the money to apply for multiple states if Wyoming is holding their tag fees for months before the draw. I know alot of people that like applying for wyoming and knowing if they get a tag or not in Febuary and get their refunds in time to apply for other states.

Buzz, what is the plan for what they are going to do with all this money for 4 months?

Seems like a waste to collect a couple hundred thousand and sit on with no net gain for the state or the resource.

Or will they earn enough interest to waive the CC fee? Seems like there is a compromise here somewhere if we are each floating them a loan for 4 months.

Or can they just do a application fee and if drawn charge us for the tag?

Gentlemen, Buzz, JM77, and Mulecreek thank you for your hard work. We are looking forward to another trip to the cowboy state hopefully sooner than later.

Not Buzz but

CC fee was ~ 1.8 million in total.

They already turned down “pay when drawn” because they felt it would unfairly increase apps similar to the Colorado fiasco.

Not Buzz but

CC fee was ~ 1.8 million in total.

They already turned down “pay when drawn” because they felt it would unfairly increase apps similar to the Colorado fiasco.
So u had mentioned there will be a modify period until May 8, will u be able to delete your app and get a refund or just change units etc?

I have no problem with moving the NR draw to match R dates. It should have been done long ago for reasons previously mentioned. As stated this will actually help NR applicants who know the system and how to apply get more tags. My only issue lies in the Jan deadline. I assume they will still have to mail out the “packet” for NRs to apply; it just doesn’t really mean chit since you will have to stay on top of the approved numbers in the April meetings and modify your app accordingly in a short period of time. Why not save the confusion and just move the application deadline to match deer and antelope. Some of the G&F staff literally have to be led to water, others get it. I submitted my comments to G&F and hopefully others do as well. Seems like it’s a done deal for next year but who knows.

You can withdraw, change Hunt areas, and choices. You can not change draws; regular to special to reduced price. Nor can you delete then add a new app.

How much is refunded upon withdrawal? Website says there is a $5 fee for withdrawal, I assume the application fee is not refunded, but it isn’t mentioned one way or the other where I was I was reading. What about the 2.5% CC fee?

Either way, as long you can withdraw if you pull a tag between the app date in Jan and the modification date in May, I suppose it’s just $5 extra dollars to switch your app to a point only. That’s not terribly catastrophic.

I think it’s funny that someone thinks that “pay when drawn” would UNFAIRLY increase apps. I’m sure it would increase apps, but I’m not sure that it should be considered unfair. I have a bigger problem with non-refundable credit card fees and the long wait between applying and getting results than I do with paying up front.

Last edited:
I have no problem with moving the NR draw to match R dates. It should have been done long ago for reasons previously mentioned. As stated this will actually help NR applicants who know the system and how to apply get more tags. My only issue lies in the Jan deadline. I assume they will still have to mail out the “packet” for NRs to apply; it just doesn’t really mean chit since you will have to stay on top of the approved numbers in the April meetings and modify your app accordingly in a short period of time. Why not save the confusion and just move the application deadline to match deer and antelope. Some of the G&F staff literally have to be led to water, others get it. I submitted my comments to G&F and hopefully others do as well. Seems like it’s a done deal for next year but who knows.
Agreed!

I am all for with moving the NR draw to the same date as the residents to alleviate the problems of the having the actual draw number being decided on in April. I can understand the problems that this can solve but I would want the NR resident draw application deadline to match the residents. Applying in Jan and not knowing till June is a bit much. I wouldn't want to pass opportunities in other states because I think I have the points for WY.

The CC fee is not going to be refunded from what I have been told. The vendor took their 2.3% the minute you hit the payment submit button.

When I have withdrawn in the past, I thought they kept my app fee and returned the license fee. They now say they keep $5 so who knows. Worst case they keep the app fee and ding you another $5. I also thought they refunded to my cc immediately but that doesn't appear to be the case. Withdrawing has no affect on your accumulated points.

You can't switch an app to a point only as WY doesn't have a point option as part of the main draw. The PP draw is completely separate and after the species draws are done.

Buzz, thanks for the work you do and information you provide. I am on board with moving the NR draw date because it makes so much sense and allows for proper resource management. The real consideration should be the NR application period being moved to coincide with R application period. I personally don't like having the money tied up that long (Moose applications are long enough). However, it won't deter me because I would rather hunt Wyoming over any other state. NR may have to deal with this for time being, but hopefully it is something that can be evaluated and corrected in the future.

The one impact that might be seen for NR applications is with other species applications and draw odds. Not that it will be greatly impacted because Wyoming won't have a problem selling the tags, but it should have some affect. At least it will be interesting to see what happens. Like I said, I prefer to hunt Wyoming, but can usually only plan one hunt a year. The early elk application allowed me try and obtain an elk tag first and foremost regardless of draw odds because if successful, that was my hunt for the year. This year, I was unsuccessful for elk, so I am moving on to antelope & deer. Having the three species together will change my strategy and planning. So, I might just apply for one species in areas I know I will draw electing for the PP option for the other species. I believe the average NR will have to do the same.

Well... I guess if I can change my app all the way up to May 8th it’s only $5 extra out of my pocket. I’ll probably go ahead buy an elk point this year, and let them have my money for four months some time when I figure I’ll probably draw.

The early elk draw was particularly useful for me as I could plan all my leave, international flights, accommodation etc well in advance. But one thing I’ve learnt over the pass few years is that the rules and regulations do change and my plans need to change as well. Thanks Buzz and others for all your work.

I liked the early application and results in WY because it allowed me to plan my fall far in advance. I understand that it is only logical to move the NR draw to a later date though. It makes absolutely no sense to keep the draw application early. Application deadline should be the same for NR and residents. Keeping the application deadline early will irritate a lot of NR.

Back