Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Wyoming Elk Draw Proposed

I liked the early application and results in WY because it allowed me to plan my fall far in advance. I understand that it is only logical to move the NR draw to a later date though. It makes absolutely no sense to keep the draw application early. Application deadline should be the same for NR and residents. Keeping the application deadline early will irritate a lot of NR.

Mulecreek, JM77 and I will talk before the July commission meeting where this is going to be hashed out. It makes sense to me to move the application periods to the same time as well...we'll see what happens.

I guess we will have to see how it all plays out. If it ends up that you can withdraw your application for $5 + credit card fees, it won't be that big of a deal. But if you can't I wouldn't be applying for elk in WY near as often. I only go on one trip a year. I would only apply when I was fairly certain that I could draw. Which would likely be about ever 3 or 4 years the way it looks now. I could see it having a fairly large affect on how many people apply. WY would still likely sell the same number of tags every year. Just have a lot less applicants.

Would be nice to get the issue addressed of being able to modify moose, goat, bison, and sheep applications until after the commission meeting too. I bet some unit 9 moose applicants wouldn't mind being able to modify their choices...bets?

I also know a gal in Laramie that would probably modify her sheep application too....

pm sent

I am okay with moving back the draw deadline at the expense of my convenience if it helps to manage the resource and appropriately allocate the tags. Keeping the January application deadline is unreasonable though. Early or late for the entire process. Pick one. The late modification period would allow you to withdraw your application if other hunts were drawn but you would end up being charged the application fee and now the credit card processing fee. Comments submitted.

I dont think many have issue with the deadline moving back, makes sense. But having a 4 month wait period is just silly. Match it with the resident app period, that is sensible.

I did not see it as something that was broken. In fact, I found it very attractive from my perspective.

2. The Resident draw happens first for LQ tags. Any LQ tags not drawn by residents will fall to the NR portion of the draw (including type 4 tags). Sure, that will mean less general tags to reach the balance of 7250, but you'll get more LQ tags potentially.

So Buzz, at the beginning of this thread you identified the 300 resident LQ tags that they didn't receive due to the non-resident LQ tags being issued first. That doesn't match the above quote. In fact it seems to me NR would be receiving about 300 less LQ tags resulting in more general tags being issued to meet quota.

Now if it does result in fewer general tags, would I be correct in saying this will further contribute to point creep by forcing more point holders who desire a general tag into a smaller pool which would then require more points due to normal creep.

I've watched you humble plenty of people who question Wyoming tag issues, so go easy on me. I understand Wyoming deer draw very well, elk not so much. We just know if we have a couple points we can draw a general tag.

2. The Resident draw happens first for LQ tags. Any LQ tags not drawn by residents will fall to the NR portion of the draw (including type 4 tags). Sure, that will mean less general tags to reach the balance of 7250, but you'll get more LQ tags potentially.

So Buzz, at the beginning of this thread you identified the 300 resident LQ tags that they didn't receive due to the non-resident LQ tags being issued first. That doesn't match the above quote. In fact it seems to me NR would be receiving about 300 less LQ tags resulting in more general tags being issued to meet quota.

Now if it does result in fewer general tags, would I be correct in saying this will further contribute to point creep by forcing more point holders who desire a general tag into a smaller pool which would then require more points due to normal creep.

I've watched you humble plenty of people who question Wyoming tag issues, so go easy on me. I understand Wyoming deer draw very well, elk not so much. We just know if we have a couple points we can draw a general tag.

Lets see if I can make it easier to understand.

When the GF ran the report for us, Residents were under-issued about 300 LQ tags. The regulation/statute says that residents will receive 84% of the LQ elk tags. Since the tag splits happened on unknown or unofficial quotas and tags were issued to NR prior to the commission approving the quotas, Residents weren't receiving their 84%.

It didn't have anything to do with taking tags from R or NR, just that the required 84% wasn't being met because the commission approved quotas and the quotas the NR's were drawing their 16% of tags, were not the same. The NR draw happened PRIOR to the commission approving the quotas, whiel the Resident draw happened AFTER the commission approved the quotas.

What will happen now, is the commission will approve the quota, then the correct 84-16 split will happen on the actual quotas. The order of the draw will be just like for pronghorn and deer, residents draw first, any LQ elk tags not drawn by Residents will fall to the NR allocation. Meaning, there is a potential for NR's to draw MORE LQ elk tags. The only "downside" to that would be less general tags being issued to meet the 7250 NR full price tags. So, that could potentially reduce point creep on LQ tags, but increase it for the general tags.

But, I don't think over-all its going to change much for Non-Residents and any point creep, or reduction in point creep, will be negligible.

This change will greatly benefit the wildlife, commission, biologists, and have the quotas approved prior to the splits.

I did not see it as something that was broken. In fact, I found it very attractive from my perspective.

It was badly broken...for all the reasons I already listed. It needed to change and the commission and department knew it. They just needed a little nudge to make it happen.

So with the change, I won’t know if I drew an elk tag before the deer application deadline?

So with the change, I won’t know if I drew an elk tag before the deer application deadline?

The NR elk modify/withdraw deadline is May 8, meaning it’s possible that the NR elk draw could happen before May 31 when deer and antelope apps are due.

So badly that the elk population was in crisis? I don't see it.

Not a crisis to the elk population at all...nor is it a crisis if NR's have to wait for their elk draw results until after the commission approves the quotas, biologists get a chance to know harvest, winter kill, meet with hunters, landowners, etc. to establish correct quotas on the best available science.

That I do see...

I will just say thank you to Wyoming and their generous non resident allocation and just move on. There is absolutely nothing to complain about how the way Wyoming treats non residents. It makes sense to move the date for management reasons.

Rich

I will just say thank you to Wyoming and their generous non resident allocation and just move on. There is absolutely nothing to complain about how the way Wyoming treats non residents. It makes sense to move the date for management reasons.

Rich

That kind of reasonable viewpoint has no place here. Either get mad and start arguing or find another forum.:)

So am I correct in that with this change Wyoming will go from the first elk draw to the last for non-residents?

Interesting if so.

I'm hopeful the perceived inconvenience of the more logical draw process will bump up my odds a little. Some guys will whine right into a preference point so they can better schedule their other recreational plans.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back