Wyoming Elk Deadline

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Some of you guys will be mad at me for posting this as a public reminder, but I am struggling to keep up with the multitude of emails and PMs I am getting with questions about WY elk, so I am posting a thread where I can direct people.

The deadline is January 31. Online apps are allowed.

Here is the link to the online apps: https://gf.state.wy.us/elsapplication/ELSWelcome.aspx

If you want to research the state, here is the link to our Wyoming resources page: http://onyourownadventures.com/resources/wyoming

If you want the WY draw odds, here they are: http://oyoa.hunterstrailhead.com/huntsearch.php?ST=WY

If you want to know much public land is in each unit, well, I have to keep some information to myself. :D

Would be interested to know how what guys applied for: Regular - Random or PP draw, Special - Random or PP draw?

I will start. I applied for the Special PP draw: Unit ?? - Type 1.

A couple of the research services listed my favorite unit as a top teir unit for this year, so my odds just went down the tubes. Many friends and family members with max points will be applying there, in hopes that we can snag one of the tags. The odds for the max point Special PP draw will be a lot different than the information that was printed in those research services.

I would suggest not applying for the unit I/we did, at least in the Special PP draw. Sorry for that, but thought it best to warn you ahead of time. :rolleyes:

Seems like everytime I find a little gem hidden in the rocks, I get about two or three season of decent odds and hunting, until it gets recommended by some application service. I better get back to researching and finding a new unit that is "off the grid." Whining about it won't change anything. :)

Would be interested to know how what guys applied for: Regular - Random or PP draw, Special - Random or PP draw?

I will start. I applied for the Special PP draw: Unit ?? - Type 1.

I would like to make a comment about Random vs. PP draws, which seems to be mis-understood by a majority of folks. Regardless of how many points you have (or don't have), every application goes into the PP draw, and then all unsuccessful applicants from that draw go into the Random draw. You don't really choose which draw to apply for.

Also, please note Big Fin's excellent use of question marks. Nobody cares what unit you are applying for, and nobody wants to share that info with you. :D Please post appropriately. ;)

I think I'm going to apply for a preference point only this year.

Also, please note Big Fin's excellent use of question marks. Nobody cares what unit you are applying for, and nobody wants to share that info with you. :D Please post appropriately. ;)

I applied for elk area 257

so while your at it Fin, when is the drawing results for Elk?

can cameramen apply or are they only allowed to film/photograph?

Troy I think his comment about all the emails on the Wyoming draw were aimed at me:D I don't think he wants us to compete;). Actually I'm more afraid that I will not enter the correct unit or draw type and hear the wrath of Randy. My ears are still burning for not getting a bonus point last year:eek:

I'm with you Wyodeerhunter. PP for me too. I promised the wife that other than Alaska, I'd only hunt Kansas. What hunts do you have in Alaska Wyodeerhunter?

As most of you will learn... I'm an idiot when it comes to hunting. If I have one PP would it be worth my time to apply for some hunts or is there no chance? I can stuill wait till much later to simply buy a PP for this year right?

Steelhead, you have a chance at every unit. 25% of the tags for a unit are randomly drawn. Of course, your odds are not good for top tier units but you still have a chance.

From Dumb & Dumber:
Lloyd: "You mean not good like 1 out of 100?" Mary: "I'd say more like 1 out of a million." Lloyd: "So you're telling me there's a chance. Yeah! I read ya."

PP for me this year...gotta concentrate on all the Sheep tags I'll draw :)

Snow Shoe Wabbits:D

More than you killed up here in 09....

BOOOO YAAA...............

On a serious note I have a few kick ass trips planned or am currently planning. My employer doesn't know it but I'm quiting my job come middle of august.......

Considering applying for area 1 with 3 pref points. It's close enough that I could hunt it after work and on the weekends. Still need to look it over and ask around about the quality of the area. I'm sure it's riddled with fat atv riders and is way too accessible.

I just applied for a Genereal Elk license. First time applying for any type of hunt. If I don't draw I will look into CO OTC. I am going to do whatever I can to hunt Elk this year.

I'm applying for Unit 69. I hear that place has some "gem hidden in the rocks" :D

Fin, I'll defer my real answer to IDBugler ;)

PP for me also the little lady wants a nice wedding (but the mule deer draw might set the wedding date back:)

Last night I completed the apps for the OYOA gang. Don't apply in the unit we have "carpet bombed," unless you want some really crappy odds. Looks like we will be competing with many customers of those application/research services for those 6 tags, but such is life.

Dinkshooter - Hope you have max points and can pluck a tag out of that unit before the rest of us random draw folks get a crack at any of those tags.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Loper96
Back