Caribou Gear

Wyoming Elk Area

Yeah we were think about doing the cow/calf tag there this year, learning the area and building points to do a bull hunt their later.

unit 100 will take 4 points {reg}to pull,but is supposed to be a great unit.
Don't know anything about the unit, but you'll never draw it with 4 points unless you get very lucky in the random. Might take you years and years to draw with max points.

Yep, I don't know how Dan came up with that 4 PP statement. That draw was 7.6% with the max of 5 PPs last year. If everyone in the max PP pool stays in and tags numbers stay the same, it will take 13 years just to go through the max PP pool. There were another 315 in that draw with <5PPs last year, so it's really a unit that is sort of ridiculous to even waste time on when chances drop below 10%.

Its not that good of area anyway...its easy as the elk are all on public and its sagebrush country.

A road hunter/atvers dream hunt. Ratty six points and roads everywhere.

IMO, you shouldnt be allowed to put in there unless you're handicapped or over 70 years old.

"IMO, you shouldnt be allowed to put in there unless you're handicapped or over 70 years old."

Now that is just plain funny and I don't care who you are, LOL!!! Maybe they should make that area qualification and a lot of those that are complaining about having places they can access to hunt could have a place to do their thing!

I had heard this area held a decent amount of elk, and some decent bulls. Nothing beats first hand info, I appreciate the advice. It sounds like this may not be an area we want to go to.

We are planning on doing the cow hunt this year to learn an area and see if it's an area we want to burn our points on in the future. We have been looking at areas with a lack of wilderness since you have to have a guide as a nonresident. Other than that we have no real preference on the area. Any help and advice is greatly appreciated.

Dan---You must have looked at a wrong line or something because Eastmans shows it as 8% draw and 15% draw with the max of 5 PPs last year in the Regular and Special draws, respectively.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe Orth
Back